MS-8 Tunning

eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited May 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well system is installed and running. There are absolutely glimpses of sound quality like ive never heard.

However, maybe because the sub isn't broken in or maybe its the MS-8... Deep lows are missing.. badly.

Some of the sound is really strange, but for a few songs/seconds, its absolutely glorious.

Any thoughts on the MS-8, things i should do?
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    some of the sounds being produced sound plastic.... if that makes sense.
    Like i said, there are moments of absolute insane sound quality.
    IDK yet.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    just went back out there and played with it some more.

I actually can't believe how good my other setup sounded without a processor.
    I have some work to do and im really considering another processor. I dont understand how Logic 7 is making it sound that much better... It shouldn't be.
    I am going to take it by a local shop here today and have them give it a listen and give me some pointers... Good guys over there.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited April 2012
    Are you using rears? I would try running the system with only the front stage and see how that works without the logic 7 stuff.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • pentoncm
    edited April 2012
    I don't think that there is a single auto tune package out there that works good, I've heard the best things about the MS-8. Hopefully the Bit Tune will provide better results when it is released this summer. It will allow you to pick from multiple target curves, so you could pick from flat, natural (equal loudness curve), heavy midbass, etc.

From what I've heard though, currently there is no substitute for tuning by ear.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    not running rears.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentoncm
    edited April 2012
    Is it only the bass section that sounds weak, or is there a lack of midbass as well? Is there a nice punch to the system? Also, how about the upper mids, does the sound sound nice and neutral or does it ever get overly bright on certain tracks?

I've never heard a car tuned with the MS-8 and i'm just interested in how it sounds as it is supposed to be a good auto tuning processor. My experience is that most inexperienced listeners are attracted to overly bright systems that have too much emphasis in the 2-5kHz region. I used to be like that when I was in my teens and I knew nothing about SQ, but now I really want a system that sounds "real". I'm curious whether JBL set up there algorithms to go for a reference sound or a sound that appeals to the average consumer.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    idk why, but i thought it sounded even better today. I am pretty sure that the stock radio is part of the reason it doesnt sound that great.

I am also curious if i wired up the speakers out of phase. What do you think the quickest way to check is?

the sub definitely needs to loosen up.

I also need to get in there and check the ground location - i am getting some dirty alternator hiss.... lol its BAD

What do you guys like for the crossover point on the Mids?

should i be going with a 18db slope across the board?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentoncm
    edited April 2012
    I would recommend sticking to 24db slope on everything.

Most people will recommend crossing the mid/tweeters at 3-4kHz.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    DSkip wrote: »
    I normally ran them at 50, but listened at moderate levels. If you're going to push them or have a lot of road noise, you should try 63 on a -24 slope. I'd imagine once you get it sorted out and the system complete I think you'll be happy. You also have to get used to the SR sound as its completely different from anything I've heard in the car realm. This includes finding music that sounds great on them as they aren't as forgiving as most. If certain tracks sound amazing and others sound cruddy, its probably all because of the recording quality. I've said it before and I'll say it again: my music tastes changed drastically after getting the SR's.

i actually cant set the LPF just the HPF on the Low... which is set at 3500 @ 24db right now.

and yeah - like i said, a few parts of songs sound gnarly amazing. It was quite shocking, even got my girlfriend excited, but jesus, the burnt CDs sound horrible.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentoncm
    edited April 2012
    The better the setup = the worse that mp3's sound.

Oh and radio. This is since radio stations use mp3's but broadcast it over the FM range which it self cuts out additional frequencies from the mp3s. And stations kill any remaining dynamic range so that each track is equally loud all the time.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    im aware of the radio issue. Bass is absolute garbage via FM.
    Mp3s- i guess i was just spoiled from the kenwood kiv-700. everything sounded way better.
    Also - my MP3s are actually pretty high quality. 320KB
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentoncm
    edited April 2012
    You may have mentioned this before but are you using the factory headunit? If so that is why mp3s sound bad. Not because of the HU but because you are using the DAC in the mp3 player which chances are isn't very good and susceptible to noise.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    The CDs are converted to standard CD format - they aren't MP3 CDs.
    I will be saving up to get the JDM dash

I went out and got a new CD that just came out. **** - sounds so good it blew my mind. the sub is breaking in and everything is blending perfectly. It's actually a live CD too!

I think i know what u are saying though with music. Seems like these speakers really shine with Acoustic Guitar and Natural Musical Music, Not any electronically created music. I have noticed this now with 4 CDs that i have listened to. Chili Peppers sounds okay, but nothing like the Taylor Swift CD my girl wanted to hear, or the Kakoua Festival CD i got last night.

I am going to be setting up the aux input and running some stuff from my ipod this week, so we will see how that sounds.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    I listen to everything. Everything but Male Country and extreme hardcore.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited April 2012
    LOL. Funny that you mention the gladiator soundtrack. I thought i was the only person to listen to it until i had a good looking girl sitting in my car and freaked out when one of the tracks came on. HA - good times, i was 18 and she... was not.

Anywayyyyys. Good to know tool sounds good, i actually have one of their cds in there now, its just scratched and i havent given it a try yet. The Thirteenth Step album from A perfect circle is one of my favorites of all time, that usually sounds good, i may have to buy it.
    Almost bought the Adele CD last night.... Also almost grabbed the Florence and the Machine ive been wanting as well...
    Civil Wars CD is one of my faves for a while, but they were sold out.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited May 2012
    Purchased 2 new CDs yesterday. The Civil Wars - Barton Hallow and i got a 2nd (non scratched) copy of A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step.

The highs are absolutely spot on insanely amazingly spectacularly beautiful. insanamazispectacuful. Thats right.
    Mids sound good and then at certain points are making my door panels vibrate like i didnt know was possible. It's like i have an electric toothbrush in there.. Going to have to take the doors off and use some modeling clay and some tiles...

Bass - I'm still really not sure how happy I am with the sub, at times it is awesome, but i feel like the 2 10" momos i had in my trunk sounded cleaner...

The sub doesn't seem to like to go very low. and the way the MS-8 has it tuned, i have to turn down the sub a ton to make it sound musical at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am also getting that alternator whine... gonna have to figure out where that is :(
    Also a hiss ALL the time - no matter the volume. I dont have the gains over half. :(
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8