KEF Q700 Driver Removal

Options
Brasiliaflyer
Brasiliaflyer Posts: 67
edited November 2012 in Speakers
I just got some new in the box Q700's. After doing some critical listening, I was trying to figure out what the fuss was all about with these... the imaging just wasn't that great.
After getting close to the speakers, I noticed that the tweeter in one of the speakers (uniQ) wasn't making any noise. I confirmed my suspicions by putting them in bi-wire mode, and applying signal to only the high-pass terminals. No sound whatsoever.
I spoke with the dealer as well as the manufacturer. I'd like to remove the driver to double check the connection before sending the unit in for repair.
Problem is that I have no idea how to remove it. The hex looking things on the front are only for cosmetics. The black face on the speaker appears to be glued on, as the hex looking things are essentially rubber plugs with nothing behind them.
Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Brasiliaflyer on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Have no idea, but you may want to give them a call first before removing drivers. You could void any kind of warranty, best to check first if your actions are OK with them.

I would just send them back, thats just me though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Brasiliaflyer
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I spoke with KEF, they told me to go ahead. Should have asked them how. I'll call back tomorrow to ask. I hear you about returning them, but just don't want to go through the ordeal to repackage them up and take them to UPS.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Are you referring to the plastic surround on the driver? It can be lifted off - PM VR3 as I'm sure he's taken the drivers out of his Q300. I got as far as partially removing the surround just to see how one would remove the drivers if I needed to.

Hopefully it's just a loose connection! I wouldn't want to repackage and send in my Q900s either!
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Brasiliaflyer
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Got the driver out. Unfortunately it is the driver. No loose connections. I pulled all four wires, and ran those to another woofer. Sound from both pairs. At least its not the crossover network, or something else inside the box. KEF told me they would replace the uniQ driver, so I guess its another waiting game... I just want to hear how these babies sound!
    Speaking of sound, how do the Q700 compare to the 900s? I really wanted the 900's, but found the Q700 from an authorized dealer in the "outlet" for less than half price. Brand new in the box, but apparently the box was in rough shape (according to them). According to me, the box had a gouge in one side :-)
    Anyway, I've been trying to justify spending $700 more than I have already spent to go with the Q900. Anyone who has heard both care to chime in?
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I auditioned the Q700s at a local audio shop b/c they didn't have Q900s in store. I only had my RTi A7s (that I was going to replace) and my LSi9s to compare to, so when I was listening to my mix CD I concentrated on tone / timbre, bass, and treble. I liked what I heard, but I felt that the low end on the Q700s was a little light for my taste. I ended up going for the Q900s (and Q600C) and I am glad I spent the extra $$ on them. With the right recordings, the low end has more weight (what I was looking for). But keep in mind, I don't use a sub for music so it was a bigger issue for me personally.

Otherwise, midrange & high end are similar on both speakers - burned in and with the right cast of gear, they are very good performers.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • soundguy2
    soundguy2 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Got the driver out. Unfortunately it is the driver. No loose connections. I pulled all four wires, and ran those to another woofer. Sound from both pairs. At least its not the crossover network, or something else inside the box. KEF told me they would replace the uniQ driver, so I guess its another waiting game... I just want to hear how these babies sound!
    Speaking of sound, how do the Q700 compare to the 900s? I really wanted the 900's, but found the Q700 from an authorized dealer in the "outlet" for less than half price. Brand new in the box, but apparently the box was in rough shape (according to them). According to me, the box had a gouge in one side :-)
    Anyway, I've been trying to justify spending $700 more than I have already spent to go with the Q900. Anyone who has heard both care to chime in?

I know that this is an old thread but I have exactly the same problem on my Q300 currently. If you can give me some idea on how to removed the driver I would highly appreciate it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2012
    Options
    There appears to be a trim ring around the driver that will have to be removed with a pick and without putting a hole in the woofer's surround. I can take a picture of a Q900 woofer later to show you.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • iqzero
    iqzero Posts: 1
    Options
    HI, I know this is an old post. Can someone guide me on how to remove the driver on Q700? Appreciate some help here. Thanks