Rti8 break-in period

Options
Duffman
Duffman Posts: 51
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Just set up my Rti8s tonight and they sound (and look!) pretty damn good. Was wondering what the rule of thumb is for speaker break in periods....?

Also, while I've got you forum experts attention, does it matter which set of posts I've hooked my speaker cables to? I'm just doing straight wiring (not bi-wiring) and the speaker doc. doesn't really specifiy to use the top or bottom set of posts. I assume if you don't bi-wire it doesn't matter?
Post edited by Duffman on

Comments

• CT2
    CT2 Posts: 18
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Duffman,

I'm researching for RTi8 now. Let us know your experience.
    Do you think it well worth $700?

CT2
    Mains: RTi70
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Rear Center: Not yet
    Sub: STF-2
    Receiver: HK AVR120/ Yamaha RX-V1400
  • jim_r
    jim_r Posts: 28
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Duffman
    ...does it matter which set of posts I've hooked my speaker cables to? I'm just doing straight wiring (not bi-wiring) and the speaker doc. doesn't really specifiy to use the top or bottom set of posts.
    You can use either set of posts. It's probably best to experiment for yourself to see which ones you like best. But, I also use a single run on my RTi70's and I get better bass when I connect the speaker cable to the lower posts. I am using Monster 12 awg for now. I also like the sound much better when I remove the metal connectors between the two sets of posts and use the 12 awg Monster cable to connect them instead. To me, it sounds very bright with the metal connectors.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by jim_r
    You can use either set of posts. It's probably best to experiment for yourself to see which ones you like best. But, I also use a single run on my RTi70's and I get better bass when I connect the speaker cable to the lower posts. I am using Monster 12 awg for now. I also like the sound much better when I remove the metal connectors between the two sets of posts and use the 12 awg Monster cable to connect them instead. To me, it sounds very bright with the metal connectors.

Ummmmm. if you remove the metal jumpers and only use the bottom post... you are ONLY going to get bass... no highs from the tweeter. And you like this sound, right?

Interesting, but to each his own. :confused:

What receiver/amp are you using for your RTi70's?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jim_r
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Ummmmm. if you remove the metal jumpers and only use the bottom post... you are ONLY going to get bass... no highs from the tweeter. And you like this sound, right?
    You need to learn how to read, danger boy:

"when I remove the metal connectors between the two sets of posts and use the 12 awg Monster cable to connect them instead"

Duhhh!!!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Some argue that its best to connect to the top set (hig/mid) first, then jumper down to your woofer(s). I don't know that there's much validity to this approach--but it makes sense, especially if your still using the jumping straps (terrible, by the way) that come with most speakers. I made a couple of jumpers out of 10awg monster cable and Radio Shack twist-crimp banana's---then shrink-tubed them red/black to give them a professional look.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by jim_r
    You need to learn how to read, danger boy:

"when I remove the metal connectors between the two sets of posts and use the 12 awg Monster cable to connect them instead"

Duhhh!!!

this makes no sense to me.. "when you remove the metal connectors between the two sets of posts And use the 12 awg Monster cable to connect them instead".

are you talking about the Monster cable AS the jumper instead of the metal ones that came with the speakers? that I understand is right. It's my misunderstanding. i thought you were a freak of nature. and were only hooking up the lower binding posts and running them without ANY jumpers. like you would in a bi-wire set up. ok. i understand now.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Duffman
    Duffman Posts: 51
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by CT2
    Duffman,

I'm researching for RTi8 now. Let us know your experience.
    Do you think it well worth $700?

CT2

Jury's out so far. So far they sound a little airy but I'm hoping the middle might fill out as they break in. I'm also realizing that my PSW350 sub is now the weak link - doh! It's not "bad" but I'm starting to think how much better the whole sound stage would be with an SVS PB2 filling in the bottom....

wonder if my wife would notice that that "big ugly black box" has been replaced by a slightly larger ugly black box....
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I put up our 8s at CC a few days ago.. I've been running them all day ever since to see if I can get them to loosen up a bit. They sound like Infinity's new Primus series :confused:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,098
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The new RT line does not have a large bottum end. However, the mids and highs are much fuller than Infinity. Listen and you will see. The bass is there, just nothing like it use to be. Entirely different sound all together these new RT's have!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jim_r
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Some argue that its best to connect to the top set (hig/mid) first, then jumper down to your woofer(s). I don't know that there's much validity to this approach--but it makes sense, especially if your still using the jumping straps (terrible, by the way) that come with most speakers.
    steveinaz, do you know the specifics of why they recommend that? I tried both ways, and I prefer the bottom posts.
    Originally posted by danger boy
    are you talking about the Monster cable AS the jumper instead of the metal ones that came with the speakers?
    Yes, jumpers. Perhaps, I should have explicitly used that term.