Bi-amping question

Options
Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Looking to get an Outlaw 7100 which does 7x100 at 8 ohms or 7x165 at 4 ohms. My fronts are LSi15s, and if I bi-amp them they will receive 100x2 since they have 2 8 ohm loads. That means the tweeter and both 5.25"s will share 100 watts of power while the 8" woofer will get the remaining 100 watts. NOW my LSi9s will receive 165 watts due to having a 4 ohm impedance. The LSi9s tweeter and dual 5.25"s will share the 165 watts of power. SO the LSi9s mids/uppers will get 65 more watts than the LSi15s mids/uppers. Make sense? Trying to figure out a way to give my LSi15s upper section more power but the only way would be to get a separate amp that will drive 8 ohm loads better. This makes me angry LoL! :mad:

Do you guys have any suggestions? I was also considering the Marantz MM9000 which is 140x5 at 8 ohms and probably somewhere near 200x5 at 4 ohms, although I've heard mixed feelings about that amp. ANY and ALL input is GREATLY appreciated!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't be in to big a rush about bi-amping just yet. Get the 7100 and try it for awhile in a standard configuration. You just might like the results without bi-amping. My 7100 drives all 7 of my Lsi's to extremes and doesn't break a sweat in the process. Start off with the basics and see how everything performs before re-inventing the wheel. Remember sometimes less is more! Good luck.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I get the feeling you're confusing "power consumption" with output sound pressure level (spl). A lower impedance speaker uses more power (lower resistance=higher current demand on the amp), but doesn't necessarily play louder. Speaker efficiency ratings determine how loud (in decibles at 1w/1m) a speaker will play at a given input.

Take the above posters advice and use a standard configuration first. Bi-Amping, IMO, should only be used in "audio only" systems, or when you have a large passive sub-woofer you need to drive.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2