Need to choose my center, surrounds, and sub..

Options
KeithV
KeithV Posts: 107
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I've currently got an Onkyo 701 and a set of RTi70s. I'm using a Toshiba DVD player hooked up with optical as my CD player. I need to start putting together the rest of my system.

Any suggestions? I've been thinking about either using RTi28s/RTi8s for the rear, or hunting down a pair of FXi30s. As for center.. I was thinking CSi30. And for sub.. well.. CHT12 or PSW505.

Btw this needs to be stuff that can be had at CC.

Also, I'm getting a ton of noise through my setup at loud volumes when there are quiet spots in a song. Any ideas? Maybe get some cleaner power or something.
Post edited by KeithV on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The Fxi30 would be a great addition to your 70's. Bipole/Dipole speakers are great for HT systems because the surround sound is not localized the way it would be from a direct firing speaker. As for the center, consider getting the Csi40 if you can swing it. Remember the center channel is going to handle approx. 70% of the sound for the average movie soundtrack, so it's important to have a speaker that is capable of reproducing that portion of the soundtrack. Yes the Csi30 is a great speaker, but in this case I think the 40 is a better option for ya.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • KeithV
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    The Fxi30 would be a great addition to your 70's. Bipole/Dipole speakers are great for HT systems because the surround sound is not localized the way it would be from a direct firing speaker. As for the center, consider getting the Csi40 if you can swing it. Remember the center channel is going to handle approx. 70% of the sound for the average movie soundtrack, so it's important to have a speaker that is capable of reproducing that portion of the soundtrack. Yes the Csi30 is a great speaker, but in this case I think the 40 is a better option for ya.

Yea, and locating those speakers is going to be a pain in the ****. They cannot be special ordered anymore.. Well I think I can pick up a CSi40 today, but as for the FXis.. I dunno, those are gonna be hard to find.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Out of the subs you can get at CC, I would suggest the Velo CHT-12 or order the CHT-15. The CHT-15 puts out some very intense SPL's.

Regards,
    Terry
  • KeithV
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Terrax
    Out of the subs you can get at CC, I would suggest the Velo CHT-12 or order the CHT-15. The CHT-15 puts out some very intense SPL's.

Regards,
    Terry

Yea, I spend most of my day over in E2 in the audio room "reworking our speaker displays" (having fun). I switch off between the psw505 and the CHT12, I'm just not sure which one hits harder.