PS Audio Digital Link III

Options
chandler9a
chandler9a Posts: 877
edited April 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
Hey guys, just wanted to ask some advice on this DAC. I have been doing some reading on which DAC I would like to buy, I have never had one before, and this seems to be a good one to get my feet wet.

My budget is around $500, give or take a few. I will be using my Blueray player for CD's as I have sold my NAD CD player and figured a nice DAC would be better than buying another player. I use Pandora a lot played through the Blueray for casual listening but its not that great by itself, I'm hoping the DAC will improve that. I guess I will use my computer but not so much so its not that big of a concern.

The system: Speakers- Polk SDA 1C with RDO's, upgraded caps with Sonicaps, mills, Solens. Larry's Rings, Armecell, upgraded IC cable, and spikes.

Amp- Adcom GFA-555

Receiver- Sony DA555ES:redface: I know, not a proper pre but it is doing the job until I can get a good pre to fit the bill. I have decided on the Adcom GFP-750 since I have heard so many good things about it and could always sell it down the road if I wanted to try something else. Waiting for tax money to purchase that one.

Samsung Blueray player.

Cables- Audioquest King Cobra (preamp- amplifier) Sidewinders (not in system until new components are bought)
Speaker wire-Audioquest type 4.

I realize this is not a high end system and has its weak links but it does sound good and I believe it can sound a lot better with the proper upgrades.

I just wanted to get some advice on a DAC since you guys have more experience than I.
Is the PS DLink III unnecessary? Should I be spending less? Are there other DACs I should be considering first? I plan on going the Squeezebox route eventually.

Advice, criticism, other ideas all welcome.
Post edited by chandler9a on

Comments

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You may want a more conventional DAC setup, but for about $500, I would recommend this DAC hands down. http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet2.php

I've used the Apogee Duet2 in my system with supreme results. I also know a lot of guys big into compute audio who will confirm that this DAC is better than the Wyred4Sound DAC2. The DAC2 is widely considered better than the PS DLIII. If you are interested, I could tell you where to get cables to make the DAC plug and play in your system.

Mike
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Very interesting, I will have to do some research on that one. Is this something I can use with Squeezebox? Sorry, I'm not much of a computer guy so some of this stuff will take some time to learn

Anyone else??
  • SolidSqual
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yup you could definitely use it with a SB.
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thought so, Thanks
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I think the PS Audio DL III is excellent for the money. I'm using it with Squeezebox Touch and connecting it to my int amp via XLR with excellent results
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    brianle wrote: »
    I think the PS Audio DL III is excellent for the money. I'm using it with Squeezebox Touch and connecting it to my int amp via XLR with excellent results

Brianle, have you had experience with other DACs in this range? like I stated above, this would be my first go for an external DAC and just trying to get a feel for it all before I buy. From the reviews I have read, it seems like people are happy with it for the money which is fine but in my experience with audio, there may be something out there that is comparable or even better for cheaper. I would not mind spending a little more for something worth while.

I guess its all in the fun of trying new things too...
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I had a dl3 for awhile. It is a warmish sounding but with a kk dl60 digital cable it was a match made in heaven in my system.

Power cable upgrade should be considered.

Make sure you understand what you want now and the foreseeable future.

You could do worse than the dl3.

Take a look at at the frostbit, one above and others.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The DL3 is a good dac. You do have choices in that price range but honestly, as a first dac, it's an excellant choice imho. Others like Cambridge Dac Magic, Audio GD, Peechtree, Musical Fidelity, and a ton of others. A flavor for everyone. The DL3 has thunderous bass and is a tad on the warm side so if your system is already on the warm side, it may not be a good fit. Don't forget a good cable too when you decide how your going to hook up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited April 2012
    Options
    chandler9a wrote: »
    Brianle, have you had experience with other DACs in this range? like I stated above, this would be my first go for an external DAC and just trying to get a feel for it all before I buy. From the reviews I have read, it seems like people are happy with it for the money which is fine but in my experience with audio, there may be something out there that is comparable or even better for cheaper. I would not mind spending a little more for something worth while.

I guess its all in the fun of trying new things too...

Here are experiences from my past DACs:

Benchmark DAC: Transparent and detailed but can be hot/bright on some systems
    Eastern Electric Minimax DAC: A bit warm in tube mode. Lots of details as well but no XLR connection
  • SolidSqual
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Here's a good question, how do you plan on connecting your SB? Do you plan on using other sources as well?
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    thanks for the info guys. I am not sure how I will be doing the SQB, haven't gotten there yet but I would like to be able to get all of my music files on my computer into lossless audio formats (those that can be) and transfer them to the SQB and have that running to the DAC and then to my preamp. I will still play CD's from time to time but I find myself doing that less and want to make my music sound better. Playing my music library from my computer to my preamp alone has got to end...

So using my Bluray player for CD's, SQB for internet radio and general music, and maybe my computer for whatever else might come up. And cables, they will def need to be addressed as well.
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Also, for now I do not see myself using the XLR connections
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Tell ya what, get a SB Touch, and you won't be using the blu-ray player to spin cd's. Download all your cd's to your computer in a lossless format and put all those cd cases away out of sight. Subscribe to Rhapsody, and you may never buy a new cd either. Plus the SB will be your radio tuner also with stations from around the world. Don't sweat the XLR connections, when more coin becomes available, get a good used dac for a couple hundies and forgetaboutit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    Options
    +1^^^^^^
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Tell ya what, get a SB Touch, and you won't be using the blu-ray player to spin cd's. Download all your cd's to your computer in a lossless format and put all those cd cases away out of sight. Subscribe to Rhapsody, and you may never buy a new cd either. Plus the SB will be your radio tuner also with stations from around the world. Don't sweat the XLR connections, when more coin becomes available, get a good used dac for a couple hundies and forgetaboutit.

Just not local stations... at least they are not accessible with my unit.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    They should be Drenis, if you can't find a station on the SB, you can just get the URL and add it manually. Just look up the url on the internet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Hmm... mine are blocked out. I can access but the SQB wont play anything from them.

Anyways, my bad for the derail, carry on with the discussion.
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

This is good advice. One question, would the sound from the SQB to my preamp be acceptable? I was going to get the DAC first (as well as the new preamp when tax money comes) but I guess I could just start the process with buying the SB Touch like you suggested.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The internal dac on the SB is decent enough to compare with most average cdp's. So yeah, get the SB first, then down the road get a dac and never get off the couch to spin a cd again. Remember, you need to use a lossless format when downloading, mp3 isn't going to cut the mustard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Alright, this helps a lot. A little bit of a change from the original plan but thats fine. Unfortunately I purchased a good amount of music from Itunes but I will use a lossless format from here on out. I don't mess with mp3's much

thanks again guys
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Options
    You can use Itunes own lossless format, when downloading just set it up that way, it's simple. Plus make sure error correction is on, it may take longer to download, but it's worth it in the long run.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Got it, thanks
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Here's another good choice. The Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 DAC / VAC-1 power supply combo.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ciaudio-vda-2-dac-with-vac-1-power-supply-customer-trad
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Here's another good choice. The Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 DAC / VAC-1 power supply combo.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ciaudio-vda-2-dac-with-vac-1-power-supply-customer-trad

Just checked this out, thats a cool little DAC.
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'm currently using that DAC minus the P/S with my Touch. It's really amazing sounding.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

Here is an excellent unit that plays far above it's price point. I have the USB version and it's surprisingly sweet. Very well built and designed and they use top notch parts and high quality connectors, wire and pcb's. You can buy direct from Ebay.

Highly, highly recommended for a nice dac that won't break the bank and actually performs better than the garden variety dac.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

Here is an excellent unit that plays far above it's price point. I have the USB version and it's surprisingly sweet. Very well built and designed and they use top notch parts and high quality connectors, wire and pcb's. You can buy direct from Ebay.

Highly, highly recommended for a nice dac that won't break the bank and actually performs better than the garden variety dac.

H9

I saw this in another thread and checked it out a couple of weeks ago, definitely like the price point for sure. As you have mentioned, it seems to play well above its price point which is an aspect I love to find in audio.

I wish I could try out the Channel Island VDA-2 with the power source that dragon pointed out in comparison to this one. I would not mind spending the extra coin if it were that much better, if it were better at all. Seems like people are pretty happy with both of these choices from what I have read.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Channel Island designs nice stuff too. Nice thing with the Keces is the power section is with the unit and it's designed really well. The only thing I didn't care for with the CI stuff is the fact that it is two pieces. Sure you can run the dac w/o the linear power supply but I believe the Keces is a better unit as a stand alone. ELNA Silmic, Nichicon Muse caps and Dale precision resistors as well as the highly regarded LME49710 op amp's, fully balanced DC output circuit. Some very nice parts in there.

It takes a lot to impress me, espcially since DAC units have really become a dime a dozen. I've owned and listened to quite a few and while they all were pretty good, the Keces and the Audio GD are the two lower priced units that I really have enjoyed, a lot, and are easy to live with.

Both the CIA and Keces seem to be popular so if you did a comparo by purchasing both units and flipping the one you liked least you probably wouldn't loose too much. It's hard though when you buy the gear new, it takes a depreciation hit even if they are minty.

Most of the recommendations here are very good, solid choices that should work out.

H9

P.s. Where the Keces wins is in the soundstage and air around instruments and taught deep bass. It's amazing to hear that kind of ease and depth from a budget piece.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'd like to compare the VDA-2 and the Keces also. It might save me some money over buying the P/S. I don't really like the asthetics of the Keces much though.
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2012
    Options
    yea I actually like the looks of the VDA-2 myself and the Keces might not be much to look at but it comes down to sound in the end for me. I am leading toward the Keces since I could also get the SQB a lot sooner and get the system on its way. I could always try something new later on and this will be my first DAC so I gotta start somewhere.