Anyone have a NAD C541i?

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited October 2003 in Electronics
What is your opinion of it? The only gripes I've seen concern the tracking of less than perfect CD's...is this your experience as well?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2003
    Options
    as much as I like NAD gear, I have always read about the tracking issues and stayed away from the CD players.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have the NAD 521 and have never had any problems with it. I do hope to replace it in the future though...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have the C541. This is the version before the 541i. I've had mine for almost two years and never had a problem with it. The sound quality is superb. The player also has digital outs so if you decide to get an external DAC in the future, you can use the 541i as a transport.

Maurice
  • steveinaz
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    I have the NAD 521 and have never had any problems with it...

It appears to be a real hit-n-miss proposition from what I've seen on various forums. Maybe 1 out of 15 people will mention a tracking problem--kinda makes me think that the person having the problems has some seriously mistreated CD's. The NAD C521/541 series has always intrigued me as I've never owned any NAD equipment, but I like its "all-business" solid look, respectable specifications, and good reviews.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Check out Arcam's CD players. If I had the extra cash I'd get rid of my NAD in a heart beat for a used Arcam CD72. They also make a newer (higher priced) CD82 and a lower priced CD62. They are GREAT players!

review for CD72

review for CD62
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • steveinaz
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Colin^
    Colin^ Posts: 4
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hi,

I have used a Nad C541i CD player for over a year. I have had no real tracking problems. The CD player has a HDCD filter and makes HDCD encoded cds sound wonderful.

It has been relable so far and according to my dealer, this model hasn't had tracking problems.

Regards,

Colin^

:D