What does all this mean?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got a reply from folkaudio and I don't really understand it. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I dunno. Here's what they wrote: I need a dedicated subwoofer for the lower bass fro the low pass for the subwoofer and high pass crossover to 80Hertz for the front and rear speakers. Can someone put that into simpler terms for me?

thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    you probably didnt understand it because it was very wordy and didnt make a lot of sense anyway...heres what i think they meant:
    "I need a dedicated subwoofer for the lower bass"
    there is no "high" bass...only low...subs are not meant to be played at high frequency...so all that really means is he needs a subwoofer...
    "for the low pass for the subwoofer"
    low pass is a setting on an amp you use to power a subwoofer
    all it does is cut out the high frequencies a sub cant play
    "and high pass crossover to 80Hertz for the front and rear speakers."
    thats the part that doesnt make sense...he just threw it in there out of the blue...
    80Hz(hertz) is a frequency...you dont want to play your sub about 80Hz...and dont want to play your front and rear speakers below 80Hz...its a cut off point
    high pass is the same thing as low pass but instead of cutting off the high frequencies, it cuts off the low
    so my interpretation of that is:
    "i need a sub and i have no idea what im talking about"
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    "i need a sub and i have no idea what im talking about"

I second that opinion ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    Agreed with you both.

Simpler terms... Get a sub, get an amp to power the sub. Set the low pass crossover on the amp for the sub around 80 hz so it won't play any frequencies above that.

Get some kind of front speakers, component system, coax, whatever. Get an amp to power the front speakers. Set the high pass crossover at 80 hz so it won't play frequencies lower than that.

Followed by "I don't know what I'm talking about" of course...
    :D
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    "hey baby can i install myself in you? i come with alarm, keyless, and a couple other toys."

ok -- that was bad...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge