Need some help with my new db525/650s

Knives
Knives Posts: 9
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
My car has a sheet of plastic under the door panels[cant remember what its called right now], basically, should I cut holes in it where the speakers go or not? I have the db525s in there right now with the plastic sheets uncut and they are distorting very easily[I have the Alpine CDM-9803 model deck powering them right now and they start distorting when the volume gets to 15]. All help will be very appreciated.
Post edited by Knives on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    last time i did door work on a car with the plastic i just ripped it out, it's just a safeguard against water... not realy nesicary...

just outa curiosity any relation to vash??

as for distortion for one thing you're underpowered, also make sure that the surround of the speaker isn't coming into contact with part of the door panel, that could be causing it as well. also at half output from the deck the signal is probably starting to clip. so it's probably either hitting the panel (i'm guessing it's an older car so this is pretty likely) or you need more power.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Knives
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    last time i did door work on a car with the plastic i just ripped it out, it's just a safeguard against water... not realy nesicary...

just outa curiosity any relation to vash??

as for distortion for one thing you're underpowered, also make sure that the surround of the speaker isn't coming into contact with part of the door panel, that could be causing it as well. also at half output from the deck the signal is probably starting to clip. so it's probably either hitting the panel (i'm guessing it's an older car so this is pretty likely) or you need more power.

Yep, Vash would be my brother;)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to just discard the plastic sheet and find me a nice 4-channel amp. Oh and the speaker isnt hitting anything unless its hitting the grill it came with[I removed the old grill and the new speaker & grill fit really well], ill check and see if the db grill is too close but I dont think so. Anyways, thanks for the help.

P.S.-Can you recommend a nice 4-channel amp?
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    give me a price range and i'll see what i can dig up :D

watch out for the angel arm ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    just a few quick options,

Hifonics NX 440
    50x4 @ 4 ohms
    209+shipping
    http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jmrscofpm

Kenwood KAC-8401
    60x4@4ohms
    189+shipping
    http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jrhnorh8

Pioneer GM-x574
    50x4@4ohms
    159+shipping
    http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jrkorne8

and the mother of all lower power 4 channels (imho)
    US Amps TU-4360, probably out of your price range though
    75x4@4ohms TUBE AMP!!!
    479+shipping
    http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpmnfqh4
    well worth the cost to have a tube amp though incredible sound
  • Knives
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the links. Will all of those amps power the dbs pretty good? I probably cant afford it for awhile[Just replaced the engine in my '86 Subaru, and that cost me allot more than I had expected], but its nice to see what there going for right now. Oh and one more question, am I gonna screw up my speakers if there as under-powered as they are right now? or is it gonna be ok to hold off on getting the amp? Thanks again for all the help, the speakers already sound allot better now that ive gotten that plastic out of the way.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    youll be alright as long as you dont turn your radio up loud...if you hear it distort...turn it down
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Knives
    Thanks for the links. Will all of those amps power the dbs pretty good?

I have original dB's in my truck and the 60x4 Kenwood (mine is an eXcelon amp but same power ratings) power them just fine. Rather well actually. If the originals can do so well with it, it will be more than enough for the newer db's. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I also have the Pioneer amp, (2 years old, same model) and that was powering a set of Pioneer 6x8 3 ways and a set of EXII 5 inchers and did it just fine also. The Pioneer seems to be more musical but doesn't support extreme low end well. If you go that route, I highly reccomend a sub.

I also think you would be very pleased with the Hifonics amp. Good, hard, clean power that seems infinite. I have yet to hear the Zeus Z700 5 channel I have clip. The speakers physically distort before the (sounds like thumps and thwops rather than crackles) amplifier clips. The Nemisis series is supposed to be more efficient than the Zeus series. Not necessarily as beefy but I'll wager that both series are under-rated. Defintly worth the money there. The Hifonics amps put up good numbers too.

As far as underpowering, for full-range speakers, no. You are not likely to damage them. They will not be performing to full potential but they will not likly be damaged. The Alpine deck, while all head units lack serious power, is powering them plenty well for regular use. I would worry if you were trying to run the aftermarket speakers with the stock Subaru radio. That thing is just total junk. I know first hand! I spent many a week night sitting in an ambulance garage rebuilding my friend's 86 GL hatchback with him. That thing was so frustrating at times I ended up calling it the Stoopidru.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Knives
    edited October 2003
    Cool, thanks for your input Jstas. Im kinda leaning toward the Kenwood that is listed a couple of posts up, but ill definately shop around before spending the money.
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    I'd agree with Jstas, take the Hifonics over the kenwood anyday
  • Knives
    edited October 2003
    Sounds like thats a good amp, looks like that ones at the top of my list now;) Oh and should I hook it up to a set of pre-amps or should I use the regular wires coming out the back of my deck?I'll have to buy an adapter to hook up RCA jacks to the back of my deck, the deck gets too close to the inside of my dash to use regular non-L shaped jacks, I already tried a regualr set of PG RCAs and the deck would'nt even come close to fitting back in the dash.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    You should be able to get elbows to fit your spot. Crutchfeild used to have them but I don't know if they still do. If not, you can probably find them at a place like souddomain or something. They are out there, I have seen them. Maybe even a Radio Shack.

• Knives
    edited October 2003
    So is it a bad idea to use the wires out of the deck?
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Well, yes and no. The speaker leads are not the best idea for an input because they are "dirty". The RCA jacks are a better option because they are designed to carry the signal.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Right Angle adaptors from StreetWires
    h21117100-f.jpeg

I'm sure that other companies make them too and I'll bet that they will solve your problem. They will probably prtude 3/4" beyond the back of your radio at the very MOST. They will allow you to drop the outputs straight down and run the wires up from the bottom or which ever way works best. All ya gotta do is look around man. Even something as simple as a spacer for the head-unit mount may give you the extra clearance you need.

• Knives
    edited October 2003
    Awsome, thanks again for the help. Ill check and see how much room I have behind the deck.
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    Go to www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com for those connectors and nicely priced rca's too :D