Floor standing speaker carpet spikes

Options
sachinsood
sachinsood Posts: 46
Hello all,

I moved to a new apartment in Texas recently and got the R50s. However, due to the carpeting, the speakers are a little tilted. I have yet to put the carpet spikes on them and was wondering if the spikes will really make them stand up straight. Or should I buy speaker stands or set them up on end tables? Any suggestions? :confused:

Not that I really like spreading bad comments, but I had an extremely bad experience with abtelectronics.com (authorized dealers for Yamaha and other stuff). I purchased a Yamaha HTR5660 receiver on August 23rd, and till October 10th, it was still on back order. Anyways, I finally lost my patience, cancelled that order and am now getting a nicer Yamaha HTR5590 receiver :) that has been shipped and is going to arrive tomorrow :D

Take care!

Sazkin
Receiver: Yamaha HTR5590
DVD Player: Denon DVD900
Speakers: Polk Audio R50
Post edited by sachinsood on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new receiver. Did you order it from the same place?

I would think that the only reason your speakers would lean is if the floor isn't level. Spikes may help this a little. Out of curiosity, how far are they from the wall?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You could also adjust (Raise) the side that lower to make them level with the spikes.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Certainly they could be leaning due to the carpet. If you get spikes that will go all the way through the carpet to the subfloor, then the speakers will sit as even as the floor is. IF the floor is a little uneven, then yes you can adjust the spikes to make up for minor variations and get the speakers plumb. Same for stands.. if the stands have spikes, then you should be able to get everything in line.
  • sachinsood
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks a ton for the suggestions. Well I have placed the speakers about 1.5 feet away from the wall and angled them toward the center of the couch. They are also about 2 feet away from the TV stand.

And no, I didn't buy the new one from abtelectronics.com. They didn't have Yamaha HTR5590 listed on their website, and even if it was listed, I don't think I'd take their word for it. 6 weeks is a long time to test someone's patience - I have my Polks and my Denon just decorating the room. I bought the HTR5590 from www.jandr.com for a discounted price of 550$. It's my 3rd "major" purchase from them, and I'm just wondering why I ever looked at abtelectronics.com in the first place.

I'll follow your suggestions - and level the spikes so I can get the speakers to stand as upright as possible.

Thanks.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I bought 2 16"x16" ceramic clay tiles, placed them on the carpet, then put the spiked speakers on the tiles. Looks really nice and tightens up the bass reponse.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sachinsood
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hello,

I put the spikes on the speakers. After some time spent on adjusting the spikes, the speakers seem to be standing upright.

The suggestion of using ceramic clay tiles sounds good - I think might just get those.

Thanks.