RTi150's going back

Options
scornful
scornful Posts: 272
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I love the base output of these speakers, though the mids are a little lacking compared to my old RT800's. That piled on top of my receiver clipping at usual theater levels is just too much.... gotta either take em back or buy an outboard amp. No fundage for that right now.... sucks to be me!
Denon 3802
B&K 7270
Outlaw ICBM
Behringer DSP1124P
Samson S1000
SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
RTi150's
CSi40
FXi30's
RTi38's
Win Vista HTPC
InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
Post edited by scornful on

Comments

• scornful
    edited October 2003
    Options
    BTW, what do you guys think about replacing my old CS350LS with a CSi40? Would I notice the non-matching tweets of my RT800's in HT setup? I never listen to DVD-A or SACD.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    join the ranks brotha, I to am getting rid of the 150's and keeping my 70's.. for the same reasons.. i think more people will follow suit. No one around here had the 150's until all the sales ... the looks and price drew us all in, and then we started coming to our senses.. LOL

Good luck
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • brentman0110
    brentman0110 Posts: 87
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What's all this I hear about the RTi70's being better than the 150's? Is this true?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,098
    edited October 2003
    Options
    *Pulls up lawn chair, a pepsi, and a bag of popcorn*

As I watch all these loyal customers that piled in the RTi150 for the discount they received. To watch them now all return them with such grace leaves me in laughter. Hate to say i told ya so. But I will, i told ya so!

brent, The 70 will smoke the 150 in mids. Not in bass, but mids.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Buy an amp, regardless of which speaker you go with.

Look at Audiosource, Carver, Rotel, and NAD to name a (very) few.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Adcom! ADCOM! ADCOM!!!!!! :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • scornful
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I hear ya Russ. But my wallet is screaming "Noooooo"! I'd love a Rotel, Adcom or other but I cant dish out the cash right now just to satisfy these power hungry ****'s. Besides, after hearing these in house, I can truely say that I prefer my old RT800's mids to the bass extension of the 150's (at least for music). The bass problem will be solved with an SVS. Cant wait to get rid of this $400 truck payment to have a little more play money....
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Keep the 800's then - bag an SVS, but plan for an amp (or two) anyway.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm more worse off then all of ya.. i had to tell Crutchfield today that i have to return the 12's.. They were nice enough to let me return them free of cost since they have not been delivered to the house.. i love crutchfield.com!

So i'm pretty ticked about not keeping them.. Will take me a few days to get over it.. but man is it ever gona hurt when i see them at CC next time i'm there, if they have them in.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Nah, Crutchfield takes returns with free shipping regardless.. i just returned my csi30 free of charge on them per their ups paid tag included inside the box...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You guys don't know what you're missing out on. A properly amplified set of RTi150s are a real treat for the ears. The midrange opens up considerably once one gets around the woofers which can suck the life out of an AVR, especially in home theater mode. The woofers pump out awesome, controlled bass when properly powered.

Still, they're not for everyone or every entertainment situation. I'd recommend that the extra amplification requirements of the RTi150s and now the RTi12s be taken into careful consideration during the speaker choosing process. They can be an expensive speaker to buy even at a 70 percent discount, all things considered.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OK, RTi12 (800 or so in amps)

OR

RTi8 (800 in a killer subwoofer)
  • tschep20
    tschep20 Posts: 39
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well, I'm with Emlyn on this one and I believe we have a very similar set up now with the rotel gear. I really like the way my 150s sound in both music and HT. Like so many mentioned, when properly amped they sound amazing. Everyone agrees the bass is better. Now for the midrange, I'm not going to argue that it's the same or better becasue that would be foolish, but for me it's enough mids. For some maybe not, and that's why you guys chose the 70s, which is great. For now though I'll just keep on enjoying my 150s ;)
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Although you actively gave the 150 a chance on amps, now it is time to give the 70 an active chance on amps.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, oops, did I just laugh out loud? My bad! But really, I think it is so amazing you guy's can't power the the 150's, I'm not having a bit of problems. I am rockin the house with these brutes. And as I have posted before, with no shut offs of the receiver or amp, and no clipping, NONE!

Now, would I want to go out a send the list price for the 150's? Umm... no way, but for the 150 bucks ea. I have in them..... they can't freakin be beat, period!

Of course, these speakers, like every other speaker in the world, and every other product for that matter, it is certainly and matter of taste. Would I like the 70's? I'm sure I would, as a matter fact, after listening to what Polk offers in their speakers, I believe I'll remain a Polk customer for a long time.

I love my 150's, some of you love your 70's, some of you love others, whats the big deal? Diss'ing what people love (yes, sometimes it does sound like some of you can't believe someone would even consider making a choice to buy the RTi150's), I believe is what drives rift's between people, makes people rethink their own belief's, question their own decissions, their very own taste's. I for one, will not abandon my belief's, my taste's, my choices. Just to be one of the in crowd. Making the popular choice just to fit in, Nah! no way. I'll stand by my choice of getting the 150's, very happily so.

Regards,
    Terry
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    agreed, i have had them all.. just about.. BUT i will never bash someone or say i told ya so.. I like the 150's....... i like the 70's.. decided to keep the 70's, plain and simple. If i paid 150 each i might just keep em on principal but i paid 526.00 out the door and i can find better things to do with the money right now.. I can't afford to keep both of them, Enjoy what you have and don't put down what you don't have.. or what someone else has becuase you thinks its inferior, SID :rolleyes: LOL :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm just laughing it up that others are hearing what I have been saying. I get talked trash to all day about my opinion. I have no remorse for sheding my opinion on this board, either way if I say it or not I will be confronted in an inappropriate manner about it.

I don't care what you like, and no one cares what I like. However if anyone on this board expects me to respect someones opinion, then stop questioning my opinions and thoughts and just get over yourselves. This is not to Faster or Terrax, the person this is to, knows it.

I am sure, like any other speaker the 150 will sound great with mondo power.
  • scornful
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Exactly how hard would it be to run these off a 2 channel amp and have them blend well with the other 5 speakers driven off my 3802? I realize that I can balance the output at my normal theater level, but lower levels, say everyday viewing, would be skewed. Would it not? I'm thinking a decent 2 channel for now that will eventually be moved to sub duty if/when I buy an SVS....
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • brentman0110
    brentman0110 Posts: 87
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think that I have decided to go with the Denon 3803 and the adcom 555 to help drive the woofs on the RTi150's. The setup will be:

Receiver - Denon 3803
    Fronts - RTi150's
    Center - CSi40
    Rear - RTi38
    Surround - FXi30
    Sub - PSW404

All packed into a 17 x 17 living room!

Does this sound like a winner or what?
  • scornful
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sounds good.... though I might rethink the Polk sub. I love Polk, but their subs arent up to par with their other speakers. Just my opinion, but I'm willing to bet a few people here will agree. I've yet to hear one but I've read great things about SVS....

Then again, with the 150's you might be good to go. Try it and see if you like it. Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. I'd be looking for extension below 20Hz in a sub. I dont think Polk subs will go quite that low, though with room gain it might.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brentman0110
    I think that I have decided to go with the Denon 3803 and the adcom 555 to help drive the woofs on the RTi150's. The setup will be:

Receiver - Denon 3803
    Fronts - RTi150's
    Center - CSi40
    Rear - RTi38
    Surround - FXi30
    Sub - PSW404

All packed into a 17 x 17 living room!

Does this sound like a winner or what?

Just a suggestion: If you sell the 150's and buy 70's instead (or RTi8s), the Denon 3803 would be all the amp you'll need and you will get fantastic sound with that combo.

Of course I'm biased because that's what I have. :)
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Okay, shameless plug for my sale item on the flea market.

You guys with pre amp outs could be snapping up my Audiosource amp3 to run those woofs on your 150s. 150w/channel x 2. 150 bucks plus shipping. More details on the flea market post.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Shameless Indeed!:D