:) :cool: :p Hello everyone,
I have a MTX Thunder 311D amp the specs are as follows:
RMS power measured at 12.5 volts DC:
100Watts x 1 into a 4Ohm load with less than 1% Thd+N
200Watts x 1 into a 2Ohm load with less than 1% Thd+N
Dynamic Power measured at 14.4 volts DC:
155Watts x 1% into a 4Ohm load
310Watts x 1% into a 2Ohm load

ok and my Momo is a MM2124 12" which can handel this amp an I was wondering if I could hook up my one Momo to this amp and be fine even if it calls for two subs by the amp book?
Jeremy D.
Post edited by Jeremynd2000 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    youre going to put a 400 watt sub on a 100 watt amp?
    -Cody
  • cedric
    cedric Posts: 11
    edited November 2003
    i can tell you now, its a bad idea to use that amp on that sub.. trust me, i had a punch 250 on one. i fried the amp and the sub. now i'm running one momo 12 on a 1000bd. u won't believe the pressure i'm getting from one sub. but anyway, thats not enough power to run that sub.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    are you planning on getting another mm12 cedric?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2003
    I agree with the guys. That aint a whole lot of juice going to that sub. Here are 2 options. Buy a dual voice coil sub. That will allow you to run the amp at a 2 ohm load which would be a decent bit of power. Or you could buy a 2 channel amp and run it bridged. One of my favorite 2 channel sub amps is the MTX Thunder342. Its a 2 channel and when run mono puts out 340 watts rms at 12.5 volts. And the best part; its only $250 at Crutchfield.

Im not a big fan of MTX amps on mids and highs as they aint all that clean but they sure got a lot of **** to them and work great on subs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • cedric
    edited November 2003
    well , i already have another sub but i'm only running one. i wanted to see how much i could get out of one sub. i plan on entering competition as soon as i get my car all situated.. the shops here are pretty impressed.. i didn't get into polk subs till i heard the polk truck here. the gray ford running the 8 momo 12's. its on crutchfield site in the showcase section. the guy that owns the truck is from here. the only thing is i'm a fosgate amp man till the end. i've seen the new polk amps but i haven't heard them yet
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    You're a Fosgate amp man to the end but you're running an MTX Thunder 311D?

oooookkkkkaaaaayyyyyy!

Personally, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by limiting yourself to just one company.

Anyway, 100 watts is pretty weak for that sub. If you had a GNX, it would probably work just fine but the Carbon Series MOMO sub is a heavier sub with a beefier voice coil. That 100 watts will move that speaker but not in any impressive way. It shouldn't fry the amp and sub though. Only if you have the gains set way too high and your crossover set to a point where the amplifier is asking the sub to produce frequencies it is incapable of doing.

The reason for high power behind a sub is volume. The lower the frequencies get, the harder it is for the human ear to recieve and interpret the sound waves. For you to be able to hear all of the sound from you sub on the same volume as the rest of your speakers, you typically need at least 3-5 times the power of your full range speakers on your sub, depending on the sensitivity rating of your speaker.

Low power will definitly reduce the life of the sub if it is not within the rated power range. Under-powering it can damage the amp because it can demand more power than the amp is capable of providing which ends of breaking the power supply. If you want it to win a competition then you are defintly going to need to provide it with a hell of alot more power.

I'd get an amp with at least 250-300 watts RMS if I were you. There are plenty of examples out there from your favorite of RF to the cheapy power houses from Profile. Almost every company out there, including Sony, has an amplifier capable of those numbers and they are usually 2 ohm stable to deliver the 600 watts RMS needed to push a pair of those Carbon Series MOMOs. If you think you are loud now, get a new amp and wire those two MOMOs up! You'll be rattling fillings and kidneys in no time!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2003
    Ooops! Sorry cedric, I wans't paying attention whic post was which! Didn't mean to piss in any Wheaties or anything, just pointing out something I thought was odd.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cedric
    edited November 2003
    okay , jstas. i'm not the one with mtx amp, please read the whole reply list on the thread. i know exactly how 2 subs sound but it was my intentions to run one.. yes i'm a fosgate man till the end when it comes to sub power. now i'll run whatever suits me when it comes to highs and mids, but sub wise, it has always been fosgate. why? basically because if it ain't broke don't fix it. i've tried others but i prefer fosgate. thats just my preference. maybe one day i'll get a chance to let u hear what i'm doing with one sub. i'm running one sub because i like the challenge of getting the unexpected.. in my opinion, he needs to run at least 400 watts to that sub, just to be safe. i tried 250 and it didn't last too long
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    There aint nothing wrong with running one sub. If youre going for a new db drag world record then you need a bunch of big subs, but for plain old SQ, 1 is plenty if worked right. Gary Biggs is one of the winningest guys in SQ comps and he uses 1 Kicker 10" mounted in the firewall. However he does have 2 Kicker 18's in the back that he uses for SPL comps only. Ive always been more interested in SQ than sheer eye watering bass so 1 sub works just fine for me as well.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited November 2003
    hell if you realy want something impressive off of one sub as far as spl goes, get a Digital Designs 9900 series 17 and hook it up to the Tru Technology Sledge hammer ;D Get the quad 1ohm vc sub and run it at 1ohm putting 5k watts to that **** :D that's a lot of power ;D course it's a $900 sub and about a 4 or 5 grand amp but what the hell, ya only live once :p

Links to amp and sub if you're interested in seein em

http://www.digitaldesignsaudio.com/

http://www.trutechnology.com/
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    theres nothing wrong with running 1 sub...
    BUT
    when u have a bd1000...its ASKING for 2 subs
    or a 1000watt 2 ohm sub
    i could get a lot cheaper amp thatll run the same amount of power...in fact, i have 3 that could run that sub, that cost considerably less than a bd1000...
    i know what im talking about...ive had a bd1000...then it blew...lol
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    LOL! Man, I feel so wimpy! My little 8 with its 140 watts. For what its worth, 280 max. You guys are giving me a complex! LOL
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited November 2003
    lol...its ok...but im going for more SQL, as is PBD
    i have about 1640 watts total rms running in my truck
    by next march, itll be around 1710rms
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    Yep, you got me smoked. Ive got a mere 40 x 4 and 140 x 1. I eventually will upgrade to the Alpine V12 5 channel wich is 50x4 + 200x1. Still not in the SPL zone tho. But I mainly listen to metal and screaming guitars at 145 db aint something you want to be around! lol
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing