10 inch Polk DX bit teh dust

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Sounds like the spider shredded itself. Gotta replace it but I'm not sure with what and I don't really want to dump 200+ on a new sub. Ugh. Thing is only like 3 years old too. Well, maybe a bit more but I got it about 3 years ago. Gotta find a new one but, what? What will work in a .65 cubic inch box and take 300 watts without breaking my bank?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2003
    You dont specify what size sub...so I assume a 10".... Image dynamics IDQ10 will fit your bill exactly... 125-160 online..check them out!.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    el cheapo fixo = JBL GT100 ... it'll take 250ish rms (dx was 300)... and i think u said in teh past u were underpowering the dx anyway so that might work...

65 bucks @ sounddomain.

i really dont know of any other el -cheapo - fixo's.... check www.adleraudio.com and www.speedsound.com (or is it www.speedandsound.com ??) they had 4 ohm DX 10's for 69 bucks maybe 6 mos ago.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Uh, TrappedUnder Ice, did you miss the subject of the message?

"10 inch Polk DX bit teh dust "

DUH! ;)

PBD, I was looking at the JBL sub and considering it but the box is sealed and I'm wary about the JBL's ability to perform as well in a sealed enclosure as it does in a ported enclosure. I was think also about the Adire and IDQ subs too but I don't have much experience with them and they typically require more power than I am running in my girlfriend's car. I also looked for those DX 10's on that site last night and I don't think they have any more.

I'll find something eventually. But I want to go with something like the MOMO series or the DX because I set the system up for a sub of that quality or better.

• Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Oh hot damn!

Found a MOMO MM104 for 175 on that Adler site! I'll swallow the extra 25 bucks over the 150 I was trying to stick to for that sub! They probably aren't authorized as a Polk dealer but I will take the chance that it may break. Hell, this DX was the first Polk speaker I have ever had break and it served pretty harsh duty for 3 years. Lasted pretty long. Not as good as the dB 10 though. I hope that sub stays healthy for a good long time!

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    ... the idq will outperform the DX or the MOMO for sound quality and for the 10" will take up to 350 watts rms.

for 169, i'd buy it over the momo just about any day in your situation.

if i wanted a 600 watt sub - then yes the momo would take the lead in that case.

however, for 200 - 400 watts, momo versus IDQ -- IDQ stomps a mudhole in the momo, SQ, efficiency, and durability wise.

far as the JBL -- sounds decent in a sealed box -- its not as good as the DX, so like you said you want something of equal or better quality so that eliminates the JBL. the alpine S isn't going to be even as good as the JBL so nix that too. far as the type R -- anything under 400 wrms is wasting your time because it just wont move that sub to anywhere near its potential.

anywho -- beofre u jump on adler check ebay -- i coulda sworn i saw momo 10's for like 120 (the older style ones new in box) and the newer ones for like 140.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    I already got the Adler one. I don't really like eBay for stuff like this because I don't like futzing around with some yutz on the otherside giving me crap or a hard time.

The ID woofers need a box that is smaller than what I have and I don't want to build a new box. They may be more efficient than the MOMO but the MOMO would win out for me because it fits my application and I don't have to spend extra money and time making it work.

The JBL is a good idea and I like it but due to the way the system is set up, I don't want to make a change like that because I am fearing it would screw up the dynamics of the whole thing completely and I don't want that. I have a friend who keeps flip flopping on a stereo for his Jeep. So I keep dropping price quotes for him and I think that if he ever settles and says go, I'll do the JBL in a sealed box for him.

But again, I don't like finding the retailers on eBay so much. If it is used stuff from soem guy then yeah, I'll go eBay. But if I can find it NIB from a retailer that lets me easily used a credit card of my choice, I'm there. The extra money is worth the hassle. It isn't from an approved retailer but, I saved some cash that I really didn't want to spend right now but don't have a choice.

On top of all of that, the MOMO sub has numbers that come pretty damn close to the old DX sub that it is replacing. Given that, I have a better "warm, fuzzy" about the speaker doing what I want it to do and not sounding much different at all. So I'm happy with the purchase and I think it will work out well. Thank you for the advice though. I never would have found teh Adler site if you hadn't posted it.

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    you shoulda called speedsound.com before you bought from the other site to check their price, they are an authorized dealer therefore they can't post polk prices online and you gotta call the store. they normally have pretty sweet prices too, if you can still return or cancel the one from the other site i'd say give speedsound a quick call tomorrow and see if it's worth any price difference to have it from an authorized dealer :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    why would they not be able to post the price online?
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    you shoulda called speedsound.com before you bought from the other site to check their price, they are an authorized dealer therefore they can't post polk prices online and you gotta call the store. they normally have pretty sweet prices too, if you can still return or cancel the one from the other site i'd say give speedsound a quick call tomorrow and see if it's worth any price difference to have it from an authorized dealer :D

I called 3 times. They never answered the phone. They don't get my business.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited October 2003
    Jastas..your an idiot..and I will refrain from posting to help you again...Duh!

peace out.:(
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Ah, well take you help and go **** yourself with it then.

Oh, and BTW, you should read my response a few posts lower. The IDQ's require a .55 cubic inch box. The box I have is .65-.67 cubic inches. It's too big for that sub. Your suggestion did not fit my requirements.

• MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    they said something on the site about their arangement from polk only allowing them to sell polk from their storefront property so you have to order it over the phone...]

Jstas, did you call during their buisness hours, and it's always possible that they were closed for columbus day on monday...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, it's possible they were closed for the holiday but I really didn't want to wait around. I need to replace the speaker and the adler site was there and willing to accept my credit card. If I had waited to call speed sound, I probably wouldn't have a speaker yet because I wouldn't be able to call them during business hours today, tomorrow or any other day this week due to work. I'm willing to risk the 10-20 dollar difference for the conveinience the adler site afforded me.

It's not just cost that is a factor here. It's ease of replacement. Of all the viable candidates, very few actually fit my needs. I also need something that is going to fit the hole that is there with minimal modifications if needed. While there are better options than the MOMO sub, those options were not better for the right reasons. Price was a factor and the MOMO was initially ruled out because I could not find it for a price that I could afford. Well, carstereotime.com has it but they did not have it in stock. So it wasn't a matter of what is better but rather a matter of what will fit my application the best 'cause I ain't changin' it. The Polk sub did, especially after I found it at the adler site. Besides, carstereotime.com was the only place to have it cheaper and the shipping they charged would have been within 5 dollars of what I paid at the adler site so I didn't lose out too much.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited October 2003
    just to prove how big of an idiot you are... the IDq10's need .50 to .80...so they did fit... smart pants (edited to keep polk clean) :D

if you only knew as much as you think you did!!!!

BTW/./.thats right fromt he IMAGE TECH sheet for the sub :)
  • Jstas
    edited October 2003
    You know what? I really don't care. That information was not what I saw and was not available when I made my decision. I don't care if your biased opinion is telling me that an IDMAX or whatever is better. I have the Polk MOMO already. It arrived today and it is in the car already and it works and sounds great, just like I expected from Polk Audio. Personally I think you are the one lacking in common sense. You obviously are disgusted with Polk products and I question why you even bother to hang around in a forum that is supported by a company that you obviously have a low opinion of.

As far as my knowledge level, if you think I am not worth your time then that is your loss. I have not yet insulted your intelligence or you for that matter. I could very well do so because you defintly leave ALOT of material available. You have never helped and your advice has ALWAYS been dismissed as the ramblings of a biased nutcase.

I don't care what smilies you have or what "jokes" you think you are playing now. I don't want or need your help, I don't want or need your advice and I don't want you to interact with me in any way. You obviously have a low opinion of me. I now consider you a complete waste of time so kindly leave me the hell alone.

• MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    also tui he did say that he wanted something similar to the old polk he had as his GF was happy with the way it sounded so goint with another similar polk makes better sense than going with something that's gonna have a different sound (better or not) keep the GF happy is what i say, cause if she's not happy, well then it's time to reaquaint yourself with rosy palm and her 5 sisters ;D
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    LMAO@ Rosy Palm... been a long time since I've heard that one
    "The Big C"