Bandpass and Sealed.

Jezma
Jezma Posts: 2
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
What are the differences between sealed and bandpass enclosures?

as far as i know, at the moment, bandpass are louder and sealed are better quality, but which ones ear popping and which ones vibrating?

I really want to go for the feel of bass. I dont have a good car and dont really care if i shake it to bits, lol.

Thanks for the input:D

Jezma...
Post edited by Jezma on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    pretty much what you said
    bandpass it loud and doesnt have very accurate sound
    sealed isnt as loud but a lot more accurate
    sealed usually takes up a lot less space
    band pass usually cuts off some frequencies
    a REALLY well made band pass wont cut off as many frequencies...but itll still cut off some
    if you just want loud mind numbing bass...bandpass is the way to go
    -Cody
  • Jezma
    Jezma Posts: 2
    edited October 2003
    ok thanx.

so will subs in a sealed enclosure exceed their rated frequency levels? and bandpass enclosures restrict the frequency and exceed the db rating?

Jezma...:p
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2003
    What I've discovered, with most bandpass, is it will give you lesser sound quality. Your subs will sound more muddy, it will be a lot louder, but not sound as musical as with sealed. I had a bandpass as part of my first system and my friend pointed something out... He said that most of the time you couldn't tell whether it was a bass drum or a bass guitar making the sound. In my experience the bass will be more drawn out and boomy while the sealed will be more punchy.
    I think with sealed you'll get all the frequencies the sub is capable of handling, depending on crossover points and what now. Bandpass will usually cut out more of the higher, or lower frequencies of the subs, depending on the box, and some in the middle.
    "The Big C"