Audiosource Amp 3

Options
kingtut
kingtut Posts: 813
edited October 2003 in Electronics
I'm purchasing a two-channel Audiosource Amp 3 to run my Polk RTi70. I am currently running all of the speakers through my 100W x 5 Sherwood receiver. I'll be connecting the pre-amp out for the front channels from the Sherwood to the Amp 3. The Amp 3 has both A & B speakers posts. Two questions:

1) Anyone owns the Audiosource Amp 3? How is this amp?

2) Can I bi-wire the Polk RTi70 to both A & B speaker posts of the Amp 3? Would the bi-wiring to the Amp 3 degrade or upgrade the sound of the 70?
Post edited by kingtut on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    1) I had one, and sold it to a friend. I want to find another. The Audiosource amps are grossly overbuilt, and offer clean power, GOOD headroom, and a neutral sound.

2) Yes, you can bi-wire the 70's to just ONE set of posts. Bi-amping would require another separate amp.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • kingtut
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks Russman for the info. So it's not a good idea to bi-wire using both A & B post? Does bi-wiring using just the A post improve the sound?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,070
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I to was thinking about buying a couple of these amps......

They are a pretty good size and would be great to biamp my RTi70 with. On the bottum posts, cheap to.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kingtut
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Got my Amp 3 and hooked them up the normal way to drive my RTi70 front. I had to listen really carefully to tell the difference between hooking up the 70 to the Amp 3 vs. the receiver. The high is not as bright in comparison to the receiver. I then bi-wired them as advised by Russman. Bi-wiring really improved the details of the treble, but I the bass and the mid are the same. When I cranked the volume really high, the sound from the 70 hooked up to the Amp 3 sounds smoother (not as bright) as hooking them to the receiver. There are a couple of annoyances with the Amp 3:

1) On the auto detection mode, unless I cranked the volume moderately loud (louder than normal volume), the amp is not sensitive at all in detecting a signal and will shut itself down. I got frustrated and set the detection switch to manual and manually hit the power switch to turn the Amp 3 on/off.

2) There is a really loud hump from the amp to the speakers when I turn off the amp. Using a "cheater's plug" eliminated this problem.

Overall, the sound did improve, and the amp is a good value for the $.:)