Help me choose ADCOM 7807 / B&K 200.7 / ROTEL 1095

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited October 2003 in Electronics
Its getting very difficult to decide between three Amplifier.

ADCOM 7807
Best return for money as its 300W/ch. But unlike B&K & Rotel this company doesn’t get consistently very good reviews for their products some are 5 and goes down to 3.5. I am too naïve to understand why? Is it build quality or sound quality?

B&K 200.7
200W/ch and 7 channel unlike Rotel 1095 which is 5 ch. But people seem to choose Rotel over B&K possibly Rotel is better value for money or is it because Rotel does perform better than B&K?

ROTEL 1095 + ROTEL 1090
200W/ch and but only 5 channel unlike B&K or ADCOM. But gets good reviews from users consistently. Is it really better than B&K or ADCOM.

Also will it work if I hook up my Main fronts to Rotel 1090 (350W/ch) and rest to Rotel 1095(200 W/ch).

Do you think difference between powers will create mismatch?

While responding please consider the fact that this is my first step towards separates with very little knowledge.

Forgot to mention, speakers would be LSi series thats why WPC is very imp.

Thanks in advance

Tapesh
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much faith in "user" reviews. The only thing I use them for is to spot potential problems. I look for consistent posts stating a particular problem, such as CD Players that are finicky about tracking CD's, etc.

There's 2 problems with user reviews; 1. Most people get excited when they get a new piece and review it immediately, instead of taking the time to form a more accurate review; 2. Most people are not gonna rag on equipment they just plucked down big bucks for.

Any of the Amps you mention are good products; go with the features you like and whatever fits your wallett better.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I would choose Rotel in this case.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2003
    Options
    look at the sunfire cinima grand series they have a 7 channel 400 wpc amp with dual stages for the left center and right. i wish i would have considered them befor getting my adcom. kust so my amp pre would match. but the adcom is nice. also make sure the balanced ins are true
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited October 2003
    Options
    tapeshc,

Any of the amps you mentioned should be fine with just about any speakers. The best thing you can do is go and listen to the mentioned components and determine which one sounds best to you. This is the only way I would select any component. As steveinaz mentioned, I use user reviews to spot potential problems with equipment.

Using this method, I selected my pre amp and amp combination back in the early 90's, and still have the pair today. They drive my LSi series very well.

PS. The RB-1080 should be more than an adequate match for the RMB-1095. If you are looking for an amp for the LSi series, the 1080 and 1095 should give you approximately 300 wpc into a 4 ohm load. Should be enough for most applications.

PPS. Look for a good power supply (high current) in an amp as apposed to "speakers would be LSi series thats why WPC is very imp". Not all watts are created equally.

Enjoy the auditions and have fun.