Polkaudio speaker system for a 300M

geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can you give your opinion about following arrangement?
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    looks pretty good except for one thing, i highly doubt that those component sets are gonna like a 2 ohm load, i had my MM6 comp set at 2 ohms for about 2 min, the sound was awful, i then halved the power and put it at a 4 ohm load and it sounds beautiful even at about half power. The x-overs are not fond of anything other than 4 ohms. look for the same amount of power running at 4 ohms and you should be set.

What brands of amps are you looking into, and if you havn't thought of any yet tell us your price range for amps alone and we'll see what we can come up with :D:D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • geralopez
    geralopez Posts: 115
    edited October 2003
    U'r right!! It was a mistake in my picture, the sets and the 6X9 must be 4 ohms instead 2 ohms, only subs are going to be connected in parallel to have 2 ohms.
    About amps... well I can paid around $2.67 bucks/ Watt RMS, in other words: I can spend now $600.00 for the 3 amps (plus the speakers), but If you recommend me to wait to invest a little more (2 or 300 more) for a good brand I can wait. My idea is to represent Polkaudio in Mexico of course

My dream is to participate in a SQ or SPL competition in Mexico with this equipment, for sure I would like to have the best amps in my car: The Polk-Momo Carbon Series are beautiful and sophisticated delicious amps, but the price is far of my budget at this time. Just give you your opinion in general, about sound quality in this car, and if Polkaudio can give me a special price for the amps so I can reconsider to install fully and only Polk-Momo equipment in my 300M. I can imagine to install: (2) 500.1, (1) 400.4 and (1) 220.2..Uhff!! I'm sorry I was dreaming....
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    well... if u want to compete, u will want to stick with one amp mfg and one speaker mfg.. based on the subs you've listed there...i would not recc a polk 500.1 ... a polk 1000.1 (whenever they decide to make one) sure... you'd need DVC momo's to get 500 outa one 500.1 to one momo sub. they dont make those either.

anywho --- i hate to burst your bubble, but i doubt one could achieve good SQ scores with twice the number of speakers in the rear as in the front stage.

instead... component sets in both the front kick panel and the front door and just midbass drivers in the back doors (or another comp set in back doors) -- and leaving the rear deck open (Take speakers out - leave holes - put grilles over holes) would do better for you.

as far as amplification... if you did something more like what i suggested, two polk C300.2's would work... use one for each set of front speakers (150 to each front speaker)... and do a C400.4 for the center channel and rears -- that'd give you 70 or something by 2 to rear and 200 by 1 to the center channel (which would be one 6.5" coaxial or a 6.5" comp set but only half of it)...

for subwoofer amplification... you could do like 4 MM2120's and use two C500.1's to push them @ 250 watts each.

that's just my two cents.

the setup you've designed may be a great daily driver setup... i'm more than willing to tell you that. (cept the center channel needs to be either a 5 or 6" coaxial or half of a comp set). however the best daily driver setups are not the best competition setups...

you may want to talk more about this with Thom, he's a polk installer, knows what he's talking about, and is very familiar with competition grade setups.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge