DIY Sonotube build

2»

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited February 2012
    I will take a look at the QSC's as well.

Next question which is kinda arbitrary.... the 110 db's I am getting in WinISD, how does that transfer over to actual listening lol.

Is 110 db at 1m ground plane, how much square footage does it cover, etc...

That question is above my pay grade.

I wouldn't worry so much about db output as much as sound quality. Trust me it will be loud. Even ones built with crap drivers are pretty dang loud. Don't get to hung up on the science and forget the sound.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    edited February 2012
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    That question is above my pay grade.

I wouldn't worry so much about db output as much as sound quality. Trust me it will be loud. Even ones built with crap drivers are pretty dang loud. Don't get to hung up on the science and forget the sound.

I agree totally. The sound quality matters as well. I just dont want to underbuild it and then be as disappointed in it as I was the PSW125 I have. By that same token I dont want to overbuild it and waste cash on SPL I dont need.

In doing some additional looking it appears that the SPL should be equivalent to a rock concert (link here).

While not probably the most accurate source, the graph gives me an idea of how loud it will be compared to things I actually have some knowledge of how they sound. Think this build is ready to go pending funds.

Anyone see anything I need to account for/be ready for build/parts wise?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2012
    There's no such thing as overbuilding.:biggrin:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    edited February 2012
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as overbuilding.:biggrin:

True, but when it comes to the main HT setup (since its in the living room) WAF plays a BIG role. So the smaller and easier to hid I can make things (while still making them go boom) the more likely I am to be able to create multiples.

Plus these would be my stop gap subs while still in an apartment so I am focusing more on good clean musical bass with as few nulls as possible (hence wanting to make 2) over wall shaking floor rattling god inspiring shock and awe (although I do love that too :smile).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)