First 2012 RAS Event

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
edited February 2012 in Gatherings & Special Events
This was the first RAS get together of 2012. Sadly Dave, Doug and Duell could not make it due to circumstances beyond their control. In attendance: Jay (agfrost) Chris (cstmar01) Brock (heiney9) Blake (blakeh) Rob (scot62) Aaron (ALL212). Jay got to meet face to face with the rest of the RAS group. We had planned to compare Doug's un-modded Music Hall 25.3 to my modded one. It was also the debut of my Lenco turntable project. So we compared the Music Hall to my ModWright Sony and the SS out of the Music Hall to the tube output. (Tube out has coupling caps between the op amps and tubes along with caps on the output). The rest of the meet was a BYOM, or Bring Your Own Music event.

A new face was in the mix as Chris made the long drive down from WI. This took the pressure of our newest member, Jay as we directed hard times to Chris who took it well. Really, Chris, Steely who? (He remembered them after hearing a tune..it was an association thing). And Jay wasn't able to answer some Roxy Music questions without some prompting.:eek::cheesygrin: It was great meeting you Chris and we hope to see you again.

The room was setup different than usual due to the number of folks planned. The other setup also puts corners by each speaker which has a slight negative effect on bass even with acoustic treatments. However, there is more bass available now from the DAC mods and the Lenco turntable.

Gear list is in my sig. The mods to the Music Hall 25.3 DAC include a NOS 6DJ8 tube, Mundorf MKP series op amp/output coupling caps, Burson discrete HD op amps, Belleson Super Regulators with larger Wakefield heat sinks and Elna Silmic II's on the downstream filter side for the op amps. The Lenco sports a trimmed top shell, larger Mirko stainless steel bearing and spindle and a clean and lube. The arm is an Advanced Analog MG-1 linear tracking air bearing arm.

Around the room from the left clockwise, Blake, Brock, Jay, Aaron and seated Rob flashing the peace sign and Chris. It was a great time! Jasper wanted to know who put all the coats on his afternoon nap spot.

ras0112_1.jpg
ras0112_2.jpg
ras0112_3.jpg
ras0112_4.jpg
ras0112_5.jpg
ras0112_6.jpg
ras0112_7.jpg
ras0112_8.jpg
ras0112_9.jpg
ras0112_10.jpg
ras0112_11.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2012
    Sounds like a good time was had by all. Next time you guys have one of these, let me know as I might be interested in making the drive from Indy.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2012
    That s a motley looking crew of audio nutters.Bet it was a fun day.Did kitty let you spin some vinyl on his new Lenco perch?
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited January 2012
    It was a really good time--Good guys, good tunes. Fred, Rich has turned that DAC into a very nice piece with your guidance!

It was nice having Chris there, I think he took most of the abuse that would have all been directed my way otherwise. He took it well--I likely would have been cowering in the corner.

Thank you Rich and Dana, as always you're gracious hosts.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2012
    Jay, you are most welcome. It was good having you over again. Enders, we can do that!

Fred, these guys are a fun bunch to be around. After the gear demo, we went into our music free for all. We all have a varied taste in music and just might leave these events with new artists to pursue. Blake keeps track of what is played by whom on his little palm 'putie.

I'm with Jay. To me the SS out on the DAC sounds superb. I did fail to include the Fox oscillator crystal you sent me in the DAC mods. (We don't need no stinkin' clock, just make the existing one better). In a quick poll after a demo song, most guessed it was the tube out side of the DAC. The tube out kind of embellishes the music a bit, especially the bass. More than before it was modded, which is good for thin recordings. I need to get the NOS 6DJ8 out and roll some better tubes in it. Before mods I preferred the tube out side. To me, the SS out is very detailed and nuanced, but not fatiguing at all. It was SS out all day for the DAC with flac. I'll eventually hook up with Doug so we can compare the modded to unmodded DAC. And I think Chris was surprised at how much bass you can get out of two custom long excursion SEAS woofers in a folded transmission line module.

Jasper doesn't seem to like the new turntable dust cover. The Gingko dust cover has rolled or rounded edges at the front and rear, while the new cover has square edges. If he hangs off the edge of the cover like he usually does, it must be uncomfortable for him.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2012
    I always have fun at these types of things. I hope we didn't harass the noobs too much, it was all in good fun. :lol:. It was very nice to meet Jay and Chris, they fit right in so now worries there. Enders you are welcome anytime.

This is the first time I've heard Rich's system on the long wall and it sounded great. The Lenco and the Music Hall also were top notch. All in all a great day tempered by a little audio talk, a little music listening, a little socializing and whole lot of BS'ing!!! :razz:

The food spread was wonderful and I was stuffed all day long. Rich and Dana's hospitality are always top notch.

I'll post a few pics when I get a chance.

H9

P.s....the 3 D's were missed (Doug, Duell and Dave) but honestly, I'm not sure where we would have put you guys.....lol :twisted::lol:
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2012
    It was good having you there Brock! And that bottled water you brought was real special too.:eek::cheesygrin: That was the first time in 15 years I had anything that strong. Wowsa! I couldn't finish it, wimped out.

It was kinda wierd, the three first D names didn't show. What planets aligned to cause that? I wonder if Duell had someone there he wanted to hit again.:cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2012
    Bunch of geeks. :wink:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited February 2012
    Is that h9 in the Ferrari shirt? What's the retail on one of those? Probably more than I could afford pal. :razz:

Looks like fun was certainly had.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited February 2012
    Since I will probably never own a Ferrari, atleast I have the shirt. It was a gift from my brother when he visited one of auto dealers inside either the Wynn or Belaggio hotel in Las Vegas a few years ago.

We always have fun at these meets.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!