A little guidance on the Rti12

Options
eclypse
eclypse Posts: 595
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I'm about to order the Rti12's from Crutchfield.

I currently have:

70's for the fronts
Csi40's for the center
2 sets of Rti38's for the rears
Velodyne CHT-10 sub

I'm going to return the 70's to CC and the Velodyne and replace them with the Rti12's..

I've never bi-Amped before but looking forward to it.. though at the moment i only have a Kenwood Vr-6070... 100Watts x 6 channels THX.. I also have an old Dolby Prologic reciever that i belive is 100watts x 5. its got a tape in if thats all i'll need to hook it up.

Now i know i'll need more but its a new 2nd floor condo..

Opinions?

Is there any real cheap sollutions i could use to properly power these for normal listening levels? I dont think i can afford anything at the moment though..
Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
Fronts - LSiM 705
Center - LSiM 706c
Sides - LSiM 703
Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
Emotiva stealth DC-1
Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
Post edited by eclypse on

Comments

• eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've ordered the twins! hehe

:D
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    what is "real cheap"? I dont think you should look for a temporary solution, just save up and buy something you can stick with. If you are forgoing a sub in favor of towers you better have some decent amplification. I would look into used Carver or Adcom equipment on ebay as those two brands generally have the highest watts/dollar value on the used market
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Like I posted on the other thread, can you bi-amp two receivers? And if you can how do you do it?
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    what is "real cheap"? I dont think you should look for a temporary solution, just save up and buy something you can stick with. If you are forgoing a sub in favor of towers you better have some decent amplification. I would look into used Carver or Adcom equipment on ebay as those two brands generally have the highest watts/dollar value on the used market

Well its pretty much a miricle that i've picked up the Rti12's.. so i think i'll just try it out with my 2 recievers for now with bi-amping.. 200watts total should be enough for the condo i'm using them in.

Though whats the best bang for the buck out there for a good way to power these things? i've never done seperates before so i have no idea.. if something could be had for under 500 that would do great i'll look into it since i should be selling off some old speakers on ebay soon.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    plenty can be had for under 500. Like I said look into Carver and Adcom, as well as many others who offer reasonable prices for amplification
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,066
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Adcom GFA-555 goes for around 400+shipping. Are on EBay all the time. Have fun!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2003
    Options
    might want to look into used rotel. i think my rotel sounds great with polk
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by eclypse
    Well its pretty much a miricle that i've picked up the Rti12's.. so i think i'll just try it out with my 2 recievers for now with bi-amping.. 200watts total should be enough for the condo i'm using them in.
    Possible and it is the "cheapest thing" to try... Are either of the AVR's amps bridgable? Unlikely, but if it happened to be so, you'd have your bass amp.

Also it may be that in 2 ch mode the output is even higher for one or both of the amps.

Also find out which of your two AVR's can deliever the most current, and assign that one to the bass duties. Amnuals may provide that info.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD