Dual 10 Band Equalizer suggestions?

qwiktune
qwiktune Posts: 37
edited January 2012 in Electronics
So i have an old TEAC EQA-10 Graphic Equalizer that has seen better days so I'm looking for a new one to replace it. I'm not looking for anything to expensive, just something Dual 10 Band and has a Spectrum Display so I can see the levels. Again, not looking to go expensive, just something that wont make the signal sound like crap and do what its built to do.....looking for suggestions and maybe links to somewhere I should look from purchasing one from
Post edited by qwiktune on

Comments

• lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited January 2012
    qwiktune wrote: »
    So i have an old TEAC EQA-10 Graphic Equalizer that has seen better days so I'm looking for a new one to replace it. I'm not looking for anything to expensive, just something Dual 10 Band and has a Spectrum Display so I can see the levels. Again, not looking to go expensive, just something that wont make the signal sound like crap and do what its built to do.....looking for suggestions and maybe links to somewhere I should look from purchasing one from

The best equalizer to make your amp sounds better is...NONE!
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2012
    There is much to be said about equalization. Unless your listening room is an anechoic chamber, almost any room can benefit from proper equalization.

Many will poo-poo an old-school multi-band graphic EQ, but the digital room correction they gush over nowadays (Audyssey et al) accomplishes pretty much the same goal, which is to knock down the peaks in frequency response that are caused by a room's natural resonances.

Some will argue that the do-it-yourself method is best, many prefer DRC to do it for them, and then there are those that combine the two, using a computer running REW paired with an equalizer to equalize the room. Arguably this last method gives you the most "tweakability" to tailor the sound to your specific liking, and the REW software gives you far more information than the Audyssey software will.

I have not started down this road myself yet, but I have my eyes on a Behringer DCX2496 as a future purchase. Much information to be learned about REW and currently available EQ technology from http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ . Check the section marked "Online Help."

Of course, there is no substitute for proper acoustic room treatments. But once you have the room treated to the best of your ability, equalization can get you the rest of the way there. This article is a commentary on DRC from a manufacturer that makes room treatments, but I think you will find it very informative in regards to room equalization:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_audyssey.htm

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2012
    I'm using an old school ADC Soundshaper III Paraequalizer and it has to be one of the best graphic fully analog equalizers made. Dead quiet and huge control. Looks awesome as well.
    untitled.jpg
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • qwiktune
    edited January 2012
    Yeah i just want something simple so I can have more fine tuned control of the levels and to replace my current one
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2012
    If you absolutely must have an eq, I'd recommend a Soundcraftsmen off of ebay or audiogon.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited January 2012
    Hell why stop at 10? Look for that old Technics dual 31 band! That's the shizznit!

EDIT: 31....33...who is counting! lol
    http://kenrockwell.com/audio/technics/sh-8065.htm
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited January 2012
    +1 ,find a good used one and have fun with it in your system:). Should be able to find a good used one for under $150.00 or maybe less, if you don't enjoy using it, just sell it here on FM.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    Call me skeptical, but any additional electronics component added to the circuit has to add noise or coloration. I would never add one (an equalizer) to the circuit path.

My advice would be to check out GIKAcoustics.com, RealTraps.com or some of the DIY threads about room treatments.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2012
    I have an old BSR EQ-3000 like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Audiophile-BSR-EQ-3000-10-Band-Stereo-Graphic-Equalizer-Spectrum-Analyzer-/170770252769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2b343e1

Works like a champ, has neat bouncy lights and the sliders glow with red dots! Looks slick!

But while a well chosen set of components can totally negate the need for an EQ, some of us do not have the luxury of being able to afford electronics that some engineer spent many, many hours tuning just right and charges an arm and a leg for. So we have to make due with cheaper equipment that may not be exactly ideal to our tastes.

An EQ can help out with that a great deal.

They aren't evil and even though some here would have you believe that you are a lesser person of some sort for having an EQ, you're honestly not. My first stereo was a DIY tube amp with a set of KLH 17's. In a bedroom, they worked great! But when I got an apartment, they were lost in the larger living room. In the bedroom, they could easily over-power the room so the peaks and valleys were avoidable by judicious volume application. In the bigger room, I couldn't get the volume up high enough to compensate before distortion set in or the amp started clipping. So I got an EQ to help even out the response and boost the line stage a bit. I could turn the gain on the amp back down and was able to boost the signal to even out the mid-range hump and lose that transistor radio feel.

That cost me about $75 shipped to my door. I barely had that available at the time. But it was a much better solution than spending hundreds, maybe even thousands that I didn't have to get just an acceptable level of sound.

My BSR is clean as a whistle signal wise. I cleaned up the contacts when I got it but otherwise, there isn't even a power supply hum coming out of it. I did get a weird buzz once but found cat hair in the mic jack. Cleaned it out, plugged it up, no more hum. I don't have it in use right now but I'm planning on using the old tube amp rig in my workshop area so it's going to be put back in to use soon.

So if you can find a decent BSR in good shape, it's worth the $50-$75 you'll probably have to spend on it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • qwiktune
    edited January 2012
    fastz28 wrote: »

That one is a bit out of my price point, but thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    I have an old BSR EQ-3000 like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Audiophile-BSR-EQ-3000-10-Band-Stereo-Graphic-Equalizer-Spectrum-Analyzer-/170770252769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2b343e1

Works like a champ, has neat bouncy lights and the sliders glow with red dots! Looks slick!

But while a well chosen set of components can totally negate the need for an EQ, some of us do not have the luxury of being able to afford electronics that some engineer spent many, many hours tuning just right and charges an arm and a leg for. So we have to make due with cheaper equipment that may not be exactly ideal to our tastes.

An EQ can help out with that a great deal.

They aren't evil and even though some here would have you believe that you are a lesser person of some sort for having an EQ, you're honestly not. My first stereo was a DIY tube amp with a set of KLH 17's. In a bedroom, they worked great! But when I got an apartment, they were lost in the larger living room. In the bedroom, they could easily over-power the room so the peaks and valleys were avoidable by judicious volume application. In the bigger room, I couldn't get the volume up high enough to compensate before distortion set in or the amp started clipping. So I got an EQ to help even out the response and boost the line stage a bit. I could turn the gain on the amp back down and was able to boost the signal to even out the mid-range hump and lose that transistor radio feel.

That cost me about $75 shipped to my door. I barely had that available at the time. But it was a much better solution than spending hundreds, maybe even thousands that I didn't have to get just an acceptable level of sound.

My BSR is clean as a whistle signal wise. I cleaned up the contacts when I got it but otherwise, there isn't even a power supply hum coming out of it. I did get a weird buzz once but found cat hair in the mic jack. Cleaned it out, plugged it up, no more hum. I don't have it in use right now but I'm planning on using the old tube amp rig in my workshop area so it's going to be put back in to use soon.

So if you can find a decent BSR in good shape, it's worth the $50-$75 you'll probably have to spend on it.

I'll have to look into this one, more of my price point and functionality and visually what im looking for, thanks!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,619
    edited January 2012
    They're awful things... but, arguably, for consumer/"prosumer" use, Soundcraftsmen made the best.
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited January 2012
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I'm using an old school ADC Soundshaper III Paraequalizer and it has to be one of the best graphic fully analog equalizers made. Dead quiet and huge control. Looks awesome as well.
    untitled.jpg

This is funny picture!!! the equalizer is in "flat" position that means it is doing "NOTHING".
    Make it simple...Make it better!