Enclosure for the DB690 (6x9).

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello everyone.

I want to get some Seal-Box enclosures for my DB690, 6x9 loudspeakers but I'm having much difficulty finding any documentation of how much air space these things need.

There are some carpeted 6x9 speaker enclosures from Pyramid available on Etronics for a pretty good price and I want to know if their air space is sufficient for proper woofer excursion.
It's dimensions are:

9"H x 7.25"D x 12.25"W

I suppose it would be better that the box be TOO big as opposed to, too small.

If anyone can help me that I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advanced.

-W
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    depending on how your crossing them over... whether or not you have subs in yoru system, and what vehicle... you may or may not want to port the box... however... lets say you're going sealed, cuz its easy, it'll work, and it'll sound good regardless...

0.17 to 0.2 cubic feet.

i've been using 6x9's in boxes since i started audio... my first setup was 4 pioneer (quickly switched to old school polk DB series - the NICE ones :) ) in a straight box behind the seat of my pickup --- each got almost 0.35 - 0.4 cubes of air space with 4 2 inch ports at the bottom of the box.

sounded like i had two 10's.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    "i've been using 6x9's in boxes since i started audio... my first setup was 4 pioneer (quickly switched to old school polk DB series - the NICE ones ) in a straight box behind the seat of my pickup --- each got almost 0.35 - 0.4 cubes of air space with 4 2 inch ports at the bottom of the box.

sounded like i had two 10's."

That's sorta what I'm looking for. I'm trying to bridge the gap between my Loudspeakers & my Subwoofer in my trunk. It just seems like I'm lacking mid to low (not really low, because of my sub of course) However, I am powering my two DB690s + two polk 4x6 (forget which ones) via Deck only. It's the Sony MP40 xplode at 208 watts max so I'm sure I'm under powering them. But if these sealed boxes are cheap and if they help bring out the low end of these 6x9, that would be awesome as any help in that area is better then what it sounds like now.

I've noticed that it's not exactly easy to find varying enclosures for 6x9s so there isn't much to choose from. Do you have any brand-model recommendations? :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    you're not gonna find any... most people look down on using 6x9's in general ... they look even more down on using them in boxes...

i dont -- as long as its done in a manner that isn't ghetto (ie plopping a couple 6x9's on top of your rear deck = ghetto).

if you're using deck power - dont bother... you'll need to amp the DB 'junior' 6x9's with about 50 watts and put them in a 0.2 box before you're gonna see any difference... smaller box sure - but more power.

as far as bridging the gap -- they'll do it .. and very well too... but you need the amp power (might as well get a 4 channel and run the fronts off it too).

nobody's gonna make a box that's dead on -- or that i'd know of -- you've gotta just look at boxes, take the dimensions, do the math, and figure out where they pan out... some can be as slim as 0.13 and some as big as over .25 ... but the average is like .17 to .2 which ironically is what is "ideal" for a sealed 6x9 ... if u're tryin to squeak more bass out of it... up to .35 or more, ported, with an assload of power (75 - 100 per speaker, preferably the 100 +++).
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    Circuit City carries 6x9 Qlogic boxes...

ewww... sony... dirty dirty sony...

no offense to your deck but i despise sony car audio with a passion. last i heard they held the #1 position for distortion rating for their HU's
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Ok, I can understand why people look down on doing it Ghetto style, lol (which is exactly what I'm doing - reason being is I am going to get a new car soon so I don't want to invest/custom-mod my car interior just to have to rip it all out again). But why would they look down on 6x9's "in general"? Is it because it's an odd size? I would think that 6x9s would do a better job at filling in the mid-to-low areas better then just a plain 6".

Sigh... more power huh? Sigh, hooking up another amp means *much* more money. Especially since I'd have to have it installed since I don't have the time nor the technical know-how to do such a thing.

Looks like I'll just have to deal with incomplete sound until I get a new car to do it right. =/ Oh well.

Thanks for the help btw, you've been very informative. :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    hey if you live in fort wayne IN by anychance i'd help with the install, real cheap too, like 5bucks gas money and a drink ;D

as for the reason we don't like 6x9's...
    Oval = Bad.
    Round = Good.
    If you have a 6x9 hole, adapt to a 6.5 speaker
    if you have a 5x8, use a 5.25
    if you have a 4x6 get a 4x6 plate speaker.

round is always the preferance, better sq and moves the air better.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    it's too bad I don't live in fort wayne IN. :(
    Heh, Cali, Santa Clara - Long drive, haha.

oval badness... wow, I didn't even think of that. lol, even my fronts are 4x6s! Why are oval sizes so popular by car manufacturers then? lol Damn... That kinda suqs. Guess I should have done more research before buying those DB690 6x9s. They were cheap though, 79 bucks at Frys. Ahh well, they still sound good to me. Heh, probably because I haven't heard the 6.5s to compare - as per usual, ignorance is bliss. ;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    well i'll tell ya -- given decent fronts (like 6.5" components) i PREFER 6x9's in back... why? well just like you said -- you've got it right on the money -- they give better midbass fill than 6's and 5's... a good 6x9 will lend you nearly as much bass fill as an 8" woofer, hell the conal area is about the same... and it'll sound nice in back.

or -- in a situation where u're screwed with a vehicle that has tiny speaker holes in front (for like a 4" or 3.5" and you've got 6x9 slots in back... you can crank a ton of juice through a 6x9 and get "adequate" sound in the car... add a sub, fade it out right, and you'll do pretty decent for a vehicle that would otherwise be a nightmare.

so i look at it this way - 6x9's have their purpose. but given the opportunity to have a small vehicle, with 6.5" coax in back, 6.5" components up front, and subs in the trunk, i'd gladly choose that first... because in that case the 6x9 is unnecessary.

if you REALLY compare a 6x9 to a round speaker on basis of sound quality -- its not THAT far off... its close.. its not exactly as good, but 85% of people will never notice the difference... and those who do notice it wont notice it like night and day, they'll notice it in the manner that a guy who does pimp body work will notice a minor imperfection in a paint blend.

so ya - waitin for your new car to do it right is the way to save yourself from going broke... lol.
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    I see, well then I suppose it isn't all that bad. At least I know now. This Car Audio stuff has quite a learning curve. Maybe one day, I'll be in-the-know as well ;)

Speaking of knowledge, does anyone know what polyfill lining in a sub box is for? I'm reading the factory specs for Infinity Subwoofer and it says that for sealed, it should have 1.0 cubic square feet of air space and all sides lined with a 1" fiberglass or fiberfill.

What does Fiberfill do and why does it want exactly 1" lining on all sides? What should I do...double-side tape it to each wall? Does it serve a purpose in other boxes such as vented or bandpass? What happens if I just leave it out?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited October 2003
    what fiberfill is...i dunno...unless its the same as polyfill...
    polyfill is the stuff they put in comforters and pillows and such
    one day someone got really bored and decided to put it in a sub box and found out it reduced unwanted resonance
    so then crutchfield said hey...we found a new use for this stuff...so were going to up the price $6 and sell it in our magazine even though hobby lobby sales the same stuff for about $3 for a huge **** bag
    but polyfill is a good idea...1lb per sq ft is about right
    -Cody