Did my head unit just die ? Need help

Options
RSTERN
RSTERN Posts: 287
edited January 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an Alpine 9886 and when i came back out from dinner to drive home, there was no sound from any source(tuner, cd, ipod). Got home and looked at sub amp (pa1200.1) and it was in protect mode, so I unplugged the sub and it stayed in protect mode. Pulled head unit and disconnected rca going back, came out of protect mode. Tried another set of rcas from head unit to amp and as soon as i plugged into amp it went into protect mode.
I also tried to use my iphone with an adapter that goes to male rcas and hooked it up to amp, but now sound from sub. Does the iphone have enough siginal to be used as input to the amp?
Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,
Rob
mains: rt16
center: csi40
surrounds:fx 1000
sub: SVS 20-39pc+
Post edited by RSTERN on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm not a car audio guy, but that sound like like an amp issue than an issue with the head unit. Maybe overheating or a blown fuse, fuse on the amp would be the first thing I'd check if it's got an external fuse. Then I'd check the fuse in the car's electrical panel just to be sure.

Like I said though I don't know squat about all that...
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Does the head unit light up and turn on?
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Head unit powers up and all functions work like normal, its like no output thur the rca outputs.
    Amp powers up too with green light until i plug in rca's from head unit and then the led on the amp turns red indicating protect mode.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If the amp turns on and doesn't go into protect mode till you connect the RCA's, I would check the RCA's or the HU first. Try swapping the rca for a different pair. If the amp still goes into protect mode then I'd look at the hu.
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Are you powering the mids/highs with the head unit or another amp? When you disconnect the RCAs and power off and on the head unit do you still get no sound through the mids/highs?

If you are powering them through the head unit, and you still get no sound after disconnecting the RCAs and rebooting your head unit, I'm quite sure the head unit is toast.

However, if you are powering them from a separate amp, or you get sound from them after rebooting the head unit, then try this:
    Connect the HU RCAs to a set of powered speakers (or a even a home amp/receiver with a long extension cord). If you are able to connect this up to the HU and get sound, then your outboard amp is the problem. If not, then the HU is the problem.
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    I have an amp running the mids/ highs and a amp running the sub. No sound from either amp. I should have been more clear. Going back out this morning and recheck everything and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Rob
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Okay, I would still try hooking up a set of powered speakers to the front L&R HU outputs just to confirm.

Also, have you tried doing a factory reset on the unit? There is usually a small button that you press with a small paperclip to do so. If that doesn't work to get sound out of the RCA outputs, then it looks like you will need to replace the HU.
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Got it fixed,both amps are toast. sub amp powers up, but no sound. Mid/highs amp will not power up at all.
    Got a spare amp out and recheck all connection and everything is working. The polk pa1200.1 must have been on its way out, getting alot more sound of a bridged channel of a 4-channel amp.
    The mid/highs amp was a old rockford power 750, i guess it was time for it to go.
    Now have to get back to adjusting everything again, Thanks for the help!!
    Rob
  • dudeinaroom
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If both amps failed at the same time I think it would be wise to go over all of the system wiring as well as having your charging/electrical system checked. Good luck.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Did you also check the fuses on the amps to make sure that is not the issue? I know some people just over look them.
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Update, The DA (dumb a$$) doing the testing on the mid/high amp forgot to hook up the remote wire. The remote on this amp uses a female spade connection. So only the sub amp is toast, causing all the trouble.
    Rob
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Man that sucks. I think the PA amps had some quality control issues. My 2 channel recently died on me and my 4 channel has always had turn off pops. I really hope their new D series amps are better built.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RSTERN
    edited January 2012
    Options
    A sales guy told me the had problems with them too. But I just thought he was trying to push another brand. Was kinda hoping it was the head unit, so I could upgrade to a Kenwood kdc-995 to have more options on tuning.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Well you still can. :wink:

Never a bad idea to upgrade.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D