Which speakers to use front or rear

Options
jmhud6179
jmhud6179 Posts: 3
I just bought 2 - R20 speakers. First, I am NOT technical in this area AT ALL. I'm hodgpodging an existing configuration until we build our home next year, at which time I'm going to do this right. However for now, I need to figure out which speakers I should use for front and which ones for rear. We currently have a Pioneer VSX-D309 Receiver (60 watts per channel output). We also have 2 Infiniti speakers (small wall-mounted indoor-outdoor speakers - about 8" H X 4" W X 4" D approx). I don't know what model or watts output since they're high on the wall for now. We also have an Advent center speaker that my son had that I'm using. Are the R20 speakers intended for Front or Rear? Any suggestions for the best performance? Thank you from someone who doesn't have a clue about speakers.

Next year, it will be ONE complete system...no more hodgpodging.
Post edited by jmhud6179 on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk,
    The R20s are bookshelf speakers, not really meant for surrounds because they're pretty big. I suggest using them for fronts because they will be better for music than the Infinitys. When you upgrade, consider moving the 20s back for surround duty. You will like them, amazing for the price. I would have bought them for surrounds if they weren't so deep.
    Graham
  • jmhud6179
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me. I wouldn't know a bookshelf speaker from a taxi cab.....well maybe I would know THAT difference...but electronics is NOT my bag. Thanks again.
  • deano41
    deano41 Posts: 20
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i just purchased rti70s to replace my rt600s as my mains, i thought id try the 600s as rears for fun( was using rt15s)well now i am leaving my rt600s as my rears and selling my rt15s, wow what ear candy , especially for movies and dvd audio, its nice to hear some bass out of the surrounds. Even the wife doesnt mind because of the small footprint the polks have. I guess what im saying is that it just brings the home theater experience enjoyment level up one more notch
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited October 2003
    Options
    R20 speakers will work for surrounds or for fronts just fine and are a good size for surrounds. I'm using R28 speakers for my surrounds and they are the same size.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • jmhud6179
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.