ok to mount a csi30/40 into a wall?

Options
Duffman
Duffman Posts: 51
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I am very close to purchasing my Polk setup with RTi70s for fronts, fxi30s for rears and either a csi30 or csi40 for the center.

My question is, I'm having some in-wall shelving put in along with having my Sony Wega flush-mounted above my fireplace. I was planning on also installing the center channel above the tv and set into the wall. I was at a local hifi store and the sales guy said that would be a bad idea because the speakers were not meant to be installed in a wall. He said it would it could end up sounding hollow.

I know there are a lot of experts (or at least folks who've looked at this kind of thing before) here so I am in need of a second opinion. Am I ok to set the center speaker into the wall, or should I mount it externally?

Thanks.....
Post edited by Duffman on

Comments

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It probably would echo in that self.. i'd say use a tv wall mount and hook it up like that so it would be just above the tv so the sound would sound like its coming from the screen.. If ya have to mount it from the ceiling.. whatever it takes to make it flush to the top of the tv... or you could do it right below the tv if the tv is high enough.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The salesman is correct, ideally you want it mounted externally but having the center on a shelf against a wall is only fractionally better than having it in the wall. It likely wont sound horrible and it will look better in the wall. My uncle has done this with his PSBs and it sounds ok to me.
    Graham
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gatemplin
    The salesman is correct, ideally you want it mounted externally but having the center on a shelf against a wall is only fractionally better than having it in the wall. It likely wont sound horrible and it will look better in the wall. My uncle has done this with his PSBs and it sounds ok to me.

I agree
    Life without music would
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have a friend with the CS400i wallmounted as his rear center (CS1000P up front). He used two of the the Omnimount 20 pound wall brackets. It works great for him.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I know the CSi30 is small and lightweight enough to mount.... I can't speak for the larger models. As long as the mount is rated for the weight, and fits it, there should be no problem. Use a stud.

Here is a mount I am going to order later for my CSi30:

http://www.electroshops.com/images/wallmounts/vlb200.jpg
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Duffman
    Duffman Posts: 51
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That mount looks perfect! Looks like I'll go with that one...

thanks for the replies...
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Duffman
    I am very close to purchasing my Polk setup with RTi70s for fronts, fxi30s for rears and either a csi30 or csi40 for the center.

Wherever you mount it, I HIGHLY recommend the CSi40 as a center instead of the CSi30 for a well-matched front soundstage, and I know many others on this forum would agree.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I would also go with the CSi40 for the center. If you do, the mount I suggested will not fit, and you will most likely have to go with the shelf idea. Good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.