Dedicated Outlet For HT System

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited October 2003 in Electronics
I finally got around to installing and wiring a dedicated 20 amp outlet for my HT system.

It was previously on a 15 amp circuit along with some switched room lights upstairs.

We figured between the AVR, HDTV, DVD player, 1000 watt SVS, and upstairs lights, we were coming perilously close to 15 amps if the subwoofer amp hit some sustained passages at high volumes (like during the planet forming scene of Titan AE).

When a breaker gets close to its rated current, it heats up and resistance increases and current flow drops and I was worried about choking current to the system due to heat build-up at high volumes.

Maybe it was not much to worry about, but it was bugging me. I just felt more comfortable with a contractor grade 20 amp outlet, new 12-2 wiring, and a 20 amp circuit breaker dedicated to just the HT system.

I wired it all last night, except for the circuit breaker, and we did that over lunch today.

The plugs fit nice and tight and make a solid ground. Everything fired up nice and is kickin' good. I guess it was worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Does anyone else use a dedicated outlet on their music rig or HT system?

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm next to follow Doc. Great idea and well worth the effort!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    3 20 amp runs, one to the whole-house rig, one to the HT room, one to the mancave.

The whole house rig is isolated, the other 2 runs are not to a single outlet, but are isolated to the respective rooms (all outlets in said room).

There is usually at lot of things going on when the WH rig is on, from the washer, lights, fans, etc - so I had it dedicated. The cave and HT, when in use, nothing BUT the rig is on anyway, so it worked out fine.

No issues, if all the lights are on, I sometimes got a quick dim when the Carver or Rotels are first fired up, but that's it.

Kinda on the cap subject - try this one. The record in my house is on a Rotel 960 2ch amp. If I kill the power to the amp only, and leave the source on (and playing), I've gotten up to 4 seconds of continuous (85db) sound as the caps drain out - with no power to the amp.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I was having some minor, but irritating, noise issues with my sub until I ran a separate circuit for the system. I ran 10/2 for mine since it's a long way from the breaker box. Probably overkill.

Anyway it solved my noise problems. While I was in the attic, I also ran speaker wire for my surrounds.

I just recently bought a different house and I'm in the process of re-wiring it, so I get to do it all over again!

Jason