Set speakers to "small"

Options
Seggy
Seggy Posts: 22
edited October 2003 in Speakers
What does it mean to set speakers to "small"?
I have Polk RTi28's front and rear with a powered sub. My AVR is a Panasonic SA-HE70.
How do I set the speakers? Help!seggycc@comcast.net
Post edited by Seggy on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)

Sony settings are defined as such, they may relay in effect to your Panasonic.

Small = Filter/Crossover default is 120hz
    Large = No Filter/Crossover

This helps speakers that are not able to produce low end frequencies, from getting damaged or being overworked. Atypical setting for AVR's is 80hz at "Small".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bbeck
    bbeck Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai

Sony settings are defined as such, they may relay in effect to your Panasonic.

Small = Filter/Crossover default is 120hz
    Large = No Filter/Crossover

Do you know if the crossover for the STR-DE line is the same? I recieved the following reply from Sony Canada when I asked:

"Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.

The frequencies that would be sent are approximately 20 - 500 Hz. _These frequencies no longer are sent to the front speakers also when small is selected."

500 Hz seems just a little high to be send to a sub.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    bbeck, I had a DE receiver and was wondering the same thing. I recall it being 120Hz, I think that a salesman at the sony store told me this, anyways there is no way the crossover is at 500 Hz. Most subs dont go higher than 150 or 200 if that.

edit: I guess I can say welcome to the forum but you've been here longer than I have. :) I have also found sony canada to be pretty useless.
    Graham
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sony Customer Support is useless even if it's America. :(

The settings between the Sony Basic and the Sony ES line, is basically the same.

Default at "Small" is 120 hz.

I don't agree with Canada based on this simple fact:

When the speaker is set to small, you are then able to adjust the filter from 40-200hz. If the Canada statement were true, then that function is 100% useless. That may be the correct statement if the AVR has NO adjustablility for the settings. This would be a problem in the another way. If it cuts that point, and sends all 20-500hz, to the Subwoofer, the sub normally high cuts at 200hz or around there.....big issue.

Gatemplin's statement holds true for subwoofer LFE, and pre-filter on the Sony.

Does this help ya'?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If anyone actually does a 500hz crossover setting within their receivers that can't be adjusted. It would definetely be sony though. Just raggin on ya, 120hz sounds bout right.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Seggy, when you set speakers to "small" on a HT receiver that means that those speakers are then rolled off by the receiver filter below a certain frequency and the sub is rolled off above that same frequency(assuming that you're using a coaxial cable connection from the receiver's sub output). I believe that the lowest setting available on your Panasonic for the crossover filter is 100hz. Since your 28s have good response to well below 100hz you should use the lowest 100hz setting available. Since the receiver is handling the crossover duties the internal crossover in the sub isn't needed and should be bypassed if the sub has that provision, or if not, the crossover control should be turned all the way up to get it as far out of the way as possible.