Buy the RTi150's - long post...

Options
jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I was thinking about dropping by CC at lunch and picking up a pair so that I can move my 800's into another room assuming that everything is ok:

Here's the question: For 2-channel my reciever generates 100W continous, 150W peak all channels driven, for 6.1 it generates 80W continous, 100W peak. Is this enough for the power hungry RTi150's?

The rest of my system is th FXi50 and CSi40 and the 800's.

Currently, the 800's get far louder than comfortable but without a sub, but the bass is missing. The room is huge (SVS recommended the PB2 Ultra, and that I might be able to use the PB2+ to get up in SPL)

Pros to getting RTi150: Better Timbre matching with the rest of the system. Better blend into the low end with the future SVS. Better bass response

Cons: Do I have enough power? With the sub, is it worth the $500? Delaying sub purchase...

What do you guys think?
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    read some of my recent posts about my 150's... First off get them, their nice and sound great!! even with my SVS>. however if your receiver doesnt have pre-outs.. you may want to think again.. I would say if your room is big enough to where SVS says get the Pb2+, then you will need higher volumes then me to get the same volume, and in my small room my Receiver doesnt cut the mustard with the 150's.. don't get me wrong at normal levels it does fine.. sometimes i like to push it and see what they can do and the 150's suck the life out of an amp or receiver.. I got an outboard 100 watt amp.. still didnt power em up right.. YOu will need another amp for your room if its large.. period!! regardless what receiver you have under a grand anyways..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, you don't have enough power. If you bought the 150s without a sub you would configure your BM circuit as follows:

150s to Large
    Sub to Off/No
    Other Speakers to Small

This will send the 150's triple duty bass:

1) L/R mains bass
    2) Low passed bass from all other speakers.
    3) The LFE channel.

In a huge room, your 80 watts continuous for each channel would sound like a **** in church and the AVR would probably go into protect mode at anything over a very low volume.

Keep the 800's and save your money for a sub. The digital BASH amp in the sub you are considering generates 1,000 watts continuous, with 1,500+ watts peak. THAT is what you need for triple duty bass in a huge room.

If you go with the 150s anyway, I strongly advise a heavy duty external amp in the 300-500 watt per channel range that is rated for high current applications. Rotel, B&K, Adcom, and Crown spring to mind.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll probably hold off unless the 150's are stupidly low priced ($150 each). My reciever does have pre-outs to I could also go get two mono-blocks, but once again that's pushing back the time for the sub...:rolleyes:

Just checked prices on decent amps, screw dat.... I'll just go get the PB2 Ultra in March...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin