6.1 7.1?? is it discrete.. or always just 6.1?

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I have a 7.1 capable receiver.. powers 6 channels.. I have a 2 channel amp which would work best as the surround backs.. now do these speakers receive 2 separate channels of sound like the side surrounds?? or is it just added to the extra channel.. so if im watching a movie will it pan say: left side- left back- right side?
or just left side- rear backs together- right side...
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    For DD and DTS, the rear channel speakers in a 7.1 set-up both get the same information. The rear soundstage is just larger and fuller with two speakers.

However, there are some DSP modes that mimic h/k's Logic 7 and give a true discrete signal to each rear surround.

The "Widescreen" DSP mode on my 3803 does this, for example.

I don't use it, although there is nothing wrong with the way it sounds and it is compatible with any DD/DTS track. I usually run everything in a forced matrix mode, DD-EX or DTS-ES, regardless of whether or not the disc is advertised that way. Some regular 5.1 discs benefit greatly from forced matrix decoding.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks , I went from the csi30 to 2 fxi30's powered with the single rear back amp... i have them joined together at the speakers. one wire runs from pos/neg to the pos/neg on the other speaker.. and then back to the receiver.. was wondering if this AMC amp would improve sound or be a waste to power 2 rear channels and each speaker by itself instead of how i have them..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I thought your Integra was a true 7.1 AVR?

I wouldn't waste the AMC on rear surrounds. I'd use it in a dedicated 2 channel rig or to power a center or the mains. These see much more activity.

SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, its 6.1 powered with a powered zone 2.. some receivers have non powered zone 2, but true 7.1... this is the opposite.. although of course it does dts es, ex and all that... center channel.. interesting... LOL

so do you agree on how i have it set up for rears.. seems to work and sound good.. with the 2 hooked together (fxi30's)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That is too bad. The 3803 has 7 amp sections and you can assign two of the to zone 2, or you can assign all of them to zone 1 (which is what I do for 7.1).

Anyway, if I read you right, you have wired them in series, which shouldn't pose any impedance problems for the amp. But it might require recalibration for channel levels.

SVS
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Ive recalibrated them all.. This amp thing really has me bugged.. we decided to keep the 150's.. my wife just likes em better.. says the 70's are far to bright and i have to agree... they are. the 150's are smoother.. run on small with the SVS they sound great.. run on large with no sub for some music they also sound great.. huh.. gonna try and sell the 70's..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited October 2003
    Options
    There is no "7.1" it's marketing hype.

There is Dolby Digital EX which is 5 discrete channels with a 6th matrixed in the 2 rear surround channels, or DTS-ES which has 6 discrete channels. Actually I think DTS-ES can either be discrete or matrixed. But for sure there is no current system with 7 channels.

If you use 2 surround-back speakers they will recieve the same mono signal. This is the setup recommended by Dolby, DTS and THX, but of course your budget and ergonomic considerations may limit you to 1 surround-back speaker, which can sound nearly as good.

http://www.dolby.com/ht/co_br_0110_ListenersGuideEX.html

http://www.dtsonline.com/home&car/overview.php?ID=1026399626
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dolby IIx is on the way. The way i understand it . It is a true 7.1 channel output. Only available in really high end stuff now. Check out dolby's web site at dolby.com. It helped me seperate the 7.1 myth from fact. It also lists the movies already coded for it. Got to go. I have a new se tof lsi 9's to hook.

CJ
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited October 2003
    Options
    According to Dolby web site:

"Dolby Pro Logic IIx is the first and only technology to process any native stereo or 5.1 signal into a 6.1- or 7.1- channel output, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience."

The source signal is still two or five channels. The extra channels are still "process"ed to create a multi-channel effect. As per prior posts, there is no 7.1 format, yet...

DD EX is correctly defined as 5:1.1. This reads as: five discrete channels, one matrixed channel, one LFE channel. The matrixed channel can be sent to one or two rear speakers. DD EX is frequently (always?) misrepresented as 7.1.

DTS ES is correctly defined as 6.1 as this have six discrete channels and one LFE channel.
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It does say that ProLogicIIx is 7 seperate channels though. They are matrixed, but still seperate once processed. If I read that right...
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2003
    Options
    so what happens on a 5:1.1 disc played on a 6.1 system. does the matrixed channel get played on the rear center?
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Walk
    It does say that ProLogicIIx is 7 seperate channels though. They are matrixed, but still seperate once processed. If I read that right...

I have never disputed the number of channels any system has. Some receiver and pre/pro have assignable channels. Parasound Halo C1 and C2 have seven main channels with one LFE channel inputs/outputs and four assignable channels for future formats (10.2 anyone?).

I am just pointing out that the terminology defined by the industry is not followed. It is interesting that ProLogicIIx can create seven channels from a two/five channel source. It might even be interesting to listen to.
    Originally posted by PhantomOG
    so what happens on a 5:1.1 disc played on a 6.1 system. does the matrixed channel get played on the rear center?

As I stated, "The matrixed channel can be sent to one or two rear speakers".

For playback on a six channel system with LFE (identified as 6.1 in your post), DD EX would have L+C+R and SL+RC+SR plus LFE. The RC is the decoded matrixed channel. DTS-ES can provide a matrixed or discrete signal for the RC channel.