Speaker positioning

Options
mccarts747
mccarts747 Posts: 48
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I have a rear center surround speaker and I am wondering if any one has done the following or if it is advisable to do so.

I have the Csi175 which I may trade in for the Csi30 but, in either case I still have the same question.

Can I turn it on it's side so it stands the tall way? Will this have an adverse affect on the sound?

I may be able to mount the speaker that way in between some windows on my back wall and get it further away from the seating position(where it is now)
I don't think I can mount it above the windows because the Curtain rods are in the way....
Shawn
Comcast HDTV X1
VM10 (Center)
VM10 (Front Mains)
FXi30 (surrounds)
Cambridge Soundworks Cube8 (sub)
Post edited by mccarts747 on

Comments

• mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Curtain rods??? In the way of a speaker???

Hell no. Break out the blow torch, welding iron, and iron mallet, and modify the curtain rod. You have to teach those curtain rods whose boss!

*just kidding. Seriously, can you move the curtain rod down a few inches?
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    IMO you can mount it vertically behind without any problem, I tried it with a CSI30.
    Graham
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Ever think of a Tv wall mount? I'm going to do the same thing with my Csi40 center soon.. I hope to find one with a long enough neck so it hangs close to the top of the tv..

If i cant do that i've already been dreaming of making some kinda self bracket that runs striaght up and down behind the tv from the bottom of the long window to the top and put a self on it at the right height where it is just above the tv.. Either way i'm damn determined to put that center above the tv if theres a window or not right behind it hehehe.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • mccarts747
    edited October 2003
    Options
    can't move the curtain rod unfortunately. The entire back wall is comprised of 4 framed standard size windows. Nothing in between them except studs. The center space is probably 6" wide so in theory I could get some sort of bracket or shelf and put it there. with the curtains closed it would just peak out from the middle and be unobtrusive. and if i can put it up high enough it should be too bad with them open either, especially if i can put something under it.
    Shawn
    Comcast HDTV X1
    VM10 (Center)
    VM10 (Front Mains)
    FXi30 (surrounds)
  • eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Try to get that center close as ya can to the top of the tv so it sounds like its coming from the sceen..

I'd cut some 2 by 4s the length ya need to mount at the top and bottom of the window or windows in your case.. Double them up if ya have to so they will sick out past the curtains and slap 2 shelf tracks about a foot or 2 apart and run them from the 2by4's up and down the window.. Then just top it off with a heavy duty shelf brackets and slap the shelf on her at the right hieght above the tv..

The only prob is that if ya do it right where the self stick out from the wall enough to open and close the curtains you'll see the self brackets..

Another way is to ask your wife to by a curtain ballance or vallance<--- hehe whatever they call it and have that go across the window top to cover the top of the self bracket.. ya know the 2by4s at the top.. And then use vertical blinds insted.. That way the curtain wont get in the way and the ugly part of the self bracket is hidden by the curtain ballance and the bottom part is hidden by your tv or entertainment stand or what not..
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • mccarts747
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think you misunderstood. This question is regarding the rear center speaker that is going behind the listening position. My Front center is already sitting on top of my TV.

Thanks though.
    Shawn
    Comcast HDTV X1
    VM10 (Center)
    VM10 (Front Mains)
    FXi30 (surrounds)
  • eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    hehe.. oh wow... Doh.. sorry. :o