Options
2»

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2011
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Left to their own devices, the CRS+'s slap the big boys around in coherence and resolve. Those are where the magic is at, IMO

If I were you, I'd be putting the money into the little guys for a 2 channel rig. 4.1TL conversion and a REL (ARM platform) sub and you will have something truly special.

Not that the big boys arent great, they are (I've owned all the speakers in your pic, most simultaneously), but the CRS+'s were Polk's best in the SDA line, IMO of course :)

I have to agree totally with you on this. That is why I still have my SDA2's and a Pair of CRS's. They don't seem to muck up the sound to me as much as the big boys. Not that the bigguns aren't awesome in there own right. I guess the room would be the limiting factor. I never had a room large enough IMHO for anything over the SDA1's.

Take a pair of 4.1TL'd CRS's and be in audio nirvana for a long time to come.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Where are the SRS 2's? No love for those? J/K VERY Impressive!:smile:
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'd sell most of that. No need to keep it all, its silly.

It might seem silly to some, but like I said, I actually use all of them. Once the theater is back up and running, there go 3 sets back to the basement for 7.1. I already moved the 1C's to the bedroom. So then it's just the 2 sets of SDA-SRS's in the livingroom with the CRS+'s in the holes up top (which I might move). After the picture, I did stash them in another room though, because it was just way too cluttered...

The reason for keeping 2 sets of the big ones is because once I eventually get around to upgrading the cross-overs, dynamat, etc, I'm going to do A/B comparisons. I might sell one set of them eventually, but personally, I like the "Wall of SDA" look. It's not for everyone, but hey I'm a bachelor, so I get to call the shots...
    xsmi wrote: »
    Where are the SRS 2's? No love for those? J/K VERY Impressive!:smile:

I have a set of 2's... 2b's anyway. I can't own EVERY model. LOL

And about the CRS+'s - Yeah, those actually are quite impressive for their size. But, my main floor of my house is quite open, and the big SRS's seem to fill it better. If space were a constraint, the CRS+'s would be at the top of the list because of size/sound. Now that I think about it, they might work better in the bedroom vs. the 1C's. I might have to try that.
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Left to their own devices, the CRS+'s slap the big boys around in coherence and resolve. Those are where the magic is at, IMO

If I were you, I'd be putting the money into the little guys for a 2 channel rig. 4.1TL conversion and a REL (ARM platform) sub and you will have something truly special.

Not that the big boys arent great, they are (I've owned all the speakers in your pic, most simultaneously), but the CRS+'s were Polk's best in the SDA line, IMO of course :)

I'm glad to see someone else utilizing the SDA's in HT. I had a Similar setup with SRS fronts, 2b rears, and Monitor 10b front and rear centers (later replaced by CS1000p's). It was by far,the most enveloping HT experience I'd ever had. I don't have the space I did, otherwise I wouldn't have changed it, but the RT5000p system was a worthy replacement.

At any rate, cool pics! Hope your back is OK after lugging them all into place! I know I had fun gettingmy SRS's up 2 flights of stairsby myself, can't imagine moving all of those!

About having SDA's in a home theater setup, it's nice to hear someone else who enjoys them that way. I think they sound awesome! I know it's not some people's cup of tea, but I've only had compliments from friends when they came over to watch a movie.

I'm tempted to switch out the 11t's though (the side surrounds), maybe to a set of 15t/tl. Not sure. Obviosuly I can't use SDA's in that position.

How did you like the CS1000p as the center? I'm still torn between that one, a CS400i, or maybe trying a CS350-LS.
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Wow, I can't imagine how your back feels after moving those all upstairs. Like Larry, I can see some of my old speakers in there too!
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    Wow, I can't imagine how your back feels after moving those all upstairs. Like Larry, I can see some of my old speakers in there too!

Luckily I had help. Even so, bringing the 2.3's out of the basement was no fun task. I'm tempted to try a set of the SDA-SRS's in the theater downstairs, but if I don't like it, that just means I have to haul them back out of there! :eek:

And yep, your old 2b's are still kickin. They worked out great for rear-surround duty...
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I wonder if you've ever ran into a speaker that made you forget about the SDA's?
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I wonder if you've ever ran into a speaker that made you forget about the SDA's?

Not yet, but then again, I've only been listening to SDA's for about a year and a half. I haven't had the urge to go look at other brands of speakers...