WiFi Gamer help needed with connection

brgman
brgman Posts: 2,859
edited December 2011 in Video Games
Ok i have 16 year old son that plays XBOX 360 online.Call of Duty etc and he is pretty hardcore.
I have a Linksys 3000 router in the basement and added the 1000 extender up on the second floor (2 levels up)to stop the dropouts but it's not working.It's a DSL feed from Embarq if that matters.
What am i missing here? He gets dumped out while in the midst of his game and gets all crappy about it.
I can understand his frustration but i am at a loss as to how to improve this.
Thoughts? Advice?
Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
Post edited by brgman on

Comments

• quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited December 2011
    First thought would be that the extender is too far away and might itself be losing connection. Try putting it on the first floor to split the distance. Wi-fi range will be heavily dependent on how many other clients are connected, as well as how they're connected and the frequency (2.4 vs 5 Ghz), how much "stuff" (walls/floors and what they're made of), and whether you have a mix of a/b/g/n clients on the same router. Also make sure the router is set to max output, as is the xbox and extender.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2011
    First suggestion would be run a cable and just solve that problem ones and for all. My dad and I ran one from the living room under the floor, across the entire crawlspace, up the entire garage, through the attic and into my wall to get me hardwired.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys.I will check the location of the extender and see if that helps.Also the status of the router,etc.
    i also am getting close to the hardwire option as well.
    computers are NOT my strong suit so i'll keep stumbling along.

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    Thanks guys.I will check the location of the extender and see if that helps.Also the status of the router,etc.
    i also am getting close to the hardwire option as well.
    computers are NOT my strong suit so i'll keep stumbling along.

Yeah as much as its a PITA sometimes, hardwired connections are always preferred for gamers. My Xbox 360 is hardwired and it will always be so.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for the hardwire option. Here's a nice little DIY project you can consider. Get yourself an 8 or 16 port gigabit switch. Run lan drop into each room with wall plates. Get your son a 5 port switch and have him connect into that. Problem solved and each room will have lan drop for full bandwidth if needed. Monoprice is key here, you can pick up a switch from NewEgg/Amazon. I did this and it works awesome. 5 port switch in living room rack for kid's Xbox & gear, 8 port switch in my theater for all the components and game systems there.

If that's too much work, I'd still run a single hard wire into a switch and let him plug into that. That way you still have that option of using the switch for other devices upstairs if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-1008G-8-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B003X7TRWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323322264&sr=8-1
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited December 2011
    Before going crazy with the hardwiring of the house, best to test that scenario first to make sure it will actually solve the problem. Have your son move his Xbox to the basement temporarily so that he can connect it directly to the router. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the WiFi/hardwire is not the issue. Plenty of other things it could be: Faulty DSL filter, incorrect MTU settings, bad phone wiring, bad DSL modem, etc.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    Syndil wrote: »
    Before going crazy with the hardwiring of the house, best to test that scenario first to make sure it will actually solve the problem. Have your son move his Xbox to the basement temporarily so that he can connect it directly to the router. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the WiFi/hardwire is not the issue. Plenty of other things it could be: Faulty DSL filter, incorrect MTU settings, bad phone wiring, bad DSL modem, etc.

excellent points! thanks

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Another vote for the hardwire option. Here's a nice little DIY project you can consider. Get yourself an 8 or 16 port gigabit switch. Run lan drop into each room with wall plates. Get your son a 5 port switch and have him connect into that. Problem solved and each room will have lan drop for full bandwidth if needed. Monoprice is key here, you can pick up a switch from NewEgg/Amazon. I did this and it works awesome. 5 port switch in living room rack for kid's Xbox & gear, 8 port switch in my theater for all the components and game systems there.

If that's too much work, I'd still run a single hard wire into a switch and let him plug into that. That way you still have that option of using the switch for other devices upstairs if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGS-1008G-8-Port-Gigabit-Desktop/dp/B003X7TRWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323322264&sr=8-1

If i end up going hardwire this looks like a great addition.thanks for the idea.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • jaycam
    jaycam Posts: 100
    edited December 2011
    brgman, I'm sure you know of monoprice.com. I got a 1000' spool of Cat5e from them rather inexpensively along with a bag of 100 connectors and have been happy wiring everything I can find...even family/friends houses :biggrin:
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    anybody know if i can use any phone jack for the dsl?
    it is now hooked up in the basement like i mentioned but does it carry through all the lines so that i can put a modem and another router up top?

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    edited December 2011
    Yes it can, provided that a DSL filter is not integrated into the jack. ALL of your phone jacks should have DSL filters on them (well, all of them that have something plugged into them), except for the one that your DSL modem connects to.

http://support.hubris.net/knowledge_base/013.html

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    Yes this has a filter plugged in back when we got DSL.would it interfere with the the one in the basement if i pull the filter and plug in a computer there?
    i thank you for all teh help

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2011
    Another option is to get rid of the DSL and go with cable. I've found cable to be the most reliable and fastest in my area, but of course we don't have fancy fiber optics either.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    evhudsons wrote: »
    Another option is to get rid of the DSL and go with cable. I've found cable to be the most reliable and fastest in my area, but of course we don't have fancy fiber optics either.

i have looked at that as well.i ysed to have it but switched years ago on a package deal.i have been pretty satisfied with the DSL i just need to get the stuff upstairs working better to keep the wife and kid happy

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    edited December 2011
    brgman wrote: »
    Yes this has a filter plugged in back when we got DSL.would it interfere with the the one in the basement if i pull the filter and plug in a computer there?
    i thank you for all teh help

You should have filters on all of your phone jacks that are being utilized, except for the one the DSL modem is plugged in to.

The DSL modem will not work if it is plugged into a jack with a filter on it.

It will work unreliably if there are other phone jacks in the house that have equipment plugged into them but do not have DSL filters installed.

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    Syndil wrote: »
    You should have filters on all of your phone jacks that are being utilized, except for the one the DSL modem is plugged in to.

The DSL modem will not work if it is plugged into a jack with a filter on it.

It will work unreliably if there are other phone jacks in the house that have equipment plugged into them but do not have DSL filters installed.

ok i get that.i wonder if i can take the filter off of thephone jack in the bedroom and use it for DSL service to a PC?
    thanks

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    edited December 2011
    Filters can be removed. Most can just be unplugged:

Gqbrimb5yOWDw3rn3_kulfieF0OzSMJKKvsGvxp07s3_X8pJTonhqDFXXZyb8bB61xYbnMA3TzH7-xoK1mctQQrae27S2GDrzzTWK0xd5lY4bT-bXZaFnu2bruTLmmMKAwAGAH3NaFr_zs5TQD5lYXuxR6wQ8BSy_wfRWYMv1hDo0IT09e1HPC7IOYKWysCUp1Lf-NIkQhQ2t_6_8W1c9xzaLV8

Occasionally the filter will be built in to the wall plate, in which case the plate needs to be replaced with a standard wall plate.

If you want to move your DSL modem up to the bedroom, then you would need to remove the filter in the bedroom. I think that's what you are asking.

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    Will i be able to use DSL in both the basement AND the bedroom?

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Syndil
    edited December 2011
    OK I think I understand what you are going after now. DSL requires a DSL modem. You can't simply plug your phone line into your PC and use the DSL service that way.

Even if there is a phone jack somewhere on the PC, that is not for a DSL modem, that is for a regular telephone modem. The device that your Linksys E3000 is plugged into--that is your DSL modem. You can move the DSL modem up to the bedroom if you want, as long as you keep in mind what I said about the filters.

You cannot have two DSL modems sharing the same phone line.

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    You cannot have two DSL modems sharing the same phone line.

that's where i was headed wit hthis.
    thanks for the help and your patience.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered (shudder) ethernet over the powerline?
    I hate them, but apparently they work.

I say hardwire it downstairs first to make sure the internet connection is not the cause first.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    nguyendot wrote: »
    Have you considered (shudder) ethernet over the powerline?
    I hate them, but apparently they work.

I say hardwire it downstairs first to make sure the internet connection is not the cause first.

I have looked at those.
    I figure i'll get the kid to bring it downstairs and play it this weekend to make sure it's not onthis end.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • JimMueller
    JimMueller Posts: 100
    edited December 2011
    Do you want to throw money at it or try to make what you have work? If you can just throw money at it, then run some plenum-rated CAT5e or CAT6 cabling from the switch/router connected to your modem to the switch(es) next to the devices you want to internet-enable. Short term you could just run it loose, but you should have no more than a 90m run between devices. Long term you can either buy a fisher and RJ45 crimper and a spool of cabling and do it yourself, or contract someone to do so. If you're not comfortable with this, I'd suggest contracting it so they insure the turns aren't too tight, there's service loop at each end, certify the cabling run, nice walljacks, etc.

If you want to try to fix what you have, then I second temporarily connecting the XBOX client directly to the DSL modem or whatever switch/router you have connected to the modem. Test to see if the problem continues. If the problem still exists it could be the service or the modem or the physical layer (the cabling); try replacing the cable and try a different client in the same port of the modem/switch/router. Try different ports also; I've seen lightning/surges damage some but not all ethernet ports on devices. If that test OK, then try connecting the client using wireless in the same room as the modem.

If the service starts dropping, it could be the wireless settings. Some wireless routers have options to automatically switch channels and/or frequencies if it detects too much congestion from other devices using the same settings. When it switches automatically, the clients temporarily lose the connection and then reconnect. If you have a computer with wireless access, use it's wireless utility to see the distribution of wireless channels in use around you. Then review your wireless router settings and select a channel / frequency setting which minimizes switching or conflicts with other devices in range, and re-test. If you can stop the drops in the same room, then move the client to the original room and re-test.

If the drops continue then I'd recommend switching to a different wireless brand or change technology altogether - CAT5/6 cable run preferably or powerline is an alternative. If your son is experiencing lag or delays in screen updates or during game play then a cable run would offer much less latency; I've not used a powerline solution so I don't know what type of latency it offers.

Hope that helps.
    Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited December 2011
    I used ethernet over powerline for awhile until I spent the money to go all N wifi. It actually works quite well.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • brgman
    edited December 2011
    JimMueller wrote: »
    Do you want to throw money at it or try to make what you have work? If you can just throw money at it, then run some plenum-rated CAT5e or CAT6 cabling from the switch/router connected to your modem to the switch(es) next to the devices you want to internet-enable. Short term you could just run it loose, but you should have no more than a 90m run between devices. Long term you can either buy a fisher and RJ45 crimper and a spool of cabling and do it yourself, or contract someone to do so. If you're not comfortable with this, I'd suggest contracting it so they insure the turns aren't too tight, there's service loop at each end, certify the cabling run, nice walljacks, etc.

If you want to try to fix what you have, then I second temporarily connecting the XBOX client directly to the DSL modem or whatever switch/router you have connected to the modem. Test to see if the problem continues. If the problem still exists it could be the service or the modem or the physical layer (the cabling); try replacing the cable and try a different client in the same port of the modem/switch/router. Try different ports also; I've seen lightning/surges damage some but not all ethernet ports on devices. If that test OK, then try connecting the client using wireless in the same room as the modem.

If the service starts dropping, it could be the wireless settings. Some wireless routers have options to automatically switch channels and/or frequencies if it detects too much congestion from other devices using the same settings. When it switches automatically, the clients temporarily lose the connection and then reconnect. If you have a computer with wireless access, use it's wireless utility to see the distribution of wireless channels in use around you. Then review your wireless router settings and select a channel / frequency setting which minimizes switching or conflicts with other devices in range, and re-test. If you can stop the drops in the same room, then move the client to the original room and re-test.

If the drops continue then I'd recommend switching to a different wireless brand or change technology altogether - CAT5/6 cable run preferably or powerline is an alternative. If your son is experiencing lag or delays in screen updates or during game play then a cable run would offer much less latency; I've not used a powerline solution so I don't know what type of latency it offers.

Hope that helps.

good stuff.thank you.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Sherardp
    edited December 2011
    So did you get to try anything suggested yet? Anything working for you?

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    I moved the wifi extender and called the dsl server and had the NAT setting switched from strict to open which i'm told by my son was na issue.
    he is up "testing" this right now.i'll keep you apprised

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Sherardp
    edited December 2011
    How far do you live from Hagerstown?

• brgman
    edited December 2011
    about an hour

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • JimMueller
    JimMueller Posts: 100
    edited December 2011
    Any luck?
    Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs