Caps vs. Bat.

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I'm wiring up a system next week worth about 2600W RMS. 3 amps, 2 at about 1100, & a 4ch. around 3-400.
What I'm wondering is would it be better to run stiffening caps or an extra battery & isolator?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2003
    Options
    How about doing it right and getting a HO alternator. But hey... who am I ?

caps= bad
    batteries are ok...if you have the charging system

hasta la vista
    :p
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    how big is your stock alternator? if you dont know, try and find out, that is something very important to a question like that
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2003
    Options
    if you're stock alt is @ least 100A, then get two large 900 - 1000 cca batteries. put one in place of the stock battery, put the othe rin thr trunk or wherever the hell you can fit it.

dont run an isolater, just parallel them... but be sure they're identical batteries from the same manufacturer, and same batch.

the only way i know to tell this is to be sure they have the same "expiration date" sticker on them.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thx a lot Dodge. Right now I've got a 100A alternator, but that'll change.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hrmmm... Why are caps bad?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    Options
    they're not bad - just misleading.

if you have an 70 amp alternator, a 700 CCA battery, and are running a 1500 watt amplifier... you have a problem... a problem caps can't fix. you're drawing more CURRENT than your vehicle can sustain. as a result, caps wont help - caps provide voltage stiffening (read as "help") but not current.

current comes from batteries and an alternator. a decent stock alternator, while maybe not enough to totally pump your system all by its lonesome, can be supplemented with two large **** batteries around 900 - 1000 CCA each (in place of hte stock batt) and you'll get enough reserve current from them to have a daily driving system (note - you cannot spl "burp" a system that draws 300 amps off an insufficiently small alternator and a couple batteries -- you'll be running off 12 volts instead of 14, and it just wont hold up to par).

caps are great when you've got symptoms like MINOR headlight dimming, a fluctuating alternator (bounces between 14.2 and 14.4 or something similar)... the cap maintains that higher number, which allows your **** to play "smoother".

cap every 750 watts and you'll be a happy capper (read as "camper").

i need more caps two more would help a bit - but a 300 amp alternator would help me more.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Nicely said Vinnie.....

The force is with you :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    Options
    dude - i am the force...

stopped at my local CC last night and found out they STILL dont have the new polk subs / coaxials on display... grrrr!!!!!!! they have them to sell but not display -- wtf.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited October 2003
    Options
    CC is always day late...dollar short IMO :)
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    CC is always day late...dollar short IMO :)

Having worked there I agree completely ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Rotarydude
    Rotarydude Posts: 40
    edited October 2003
    Options
    okay that sounds almost right. But here is a few things. First you have to figure out what you are doing with your system. If it is going to be in competition, than you WILL NEED more deep-cycle battery(batteries). Because they only allow you to turn on the ignition for 60sec, before you enter the platform, from than it's up to your battery to give you the 12-14v.

For your daily driving needs, an alternator will be a better solution, depending how many watts you are driving. A stock alternator(80amp - 100amp) will drive 14.1v usually at it's peak revolution to provide enough "juice" up to 500-800watts. anything fast or slower than "peak" revolution will give you 13.8-14.0 which is still good to recharge your battery and power the rest of the system.

Caps...well it's is only good for that "Peak" power situation. Caps are heavily debated how it effects your electrical system. For sure it allows you to "drain" its power when your amp demands that peak wattage. For how long is a different story, because it varies on ALOT variables. We also know for sure that once the voltage in the cap is lower than the charge system (alternator, 14v+), it basically becomes a "battery" that requires to be charged by the alternator. So that leads to the question, if the alternator needs to charge the cap, and while maintaining constant voltage for your amps, does it effect the overal performance of the entire electric system....this is were the heated debate begins.

So I will leave you with that.
    Family room:
    2xLSi25, 1xLSiC, 4xLSiFX, SVS 20-39PC+, PT-52DL52, TS160, DTR 9.1, DVR985, DVL-700, CDP-C910, Panamax 5500 connected by Canare (4S11 w/Vampire and L-5CFB)

Masterbed room:
    2xAR312-HO, 1xAR4C, 2xAR15, NHT Subone, WT-46805, SR-HD500, M-VR900, Denon 1600, Monster HTS-3500 connected by Monster Cables

Waiting:
    Denon 5900, Denon 2200, and a 7 Channel 4ohm stable amp!