Wires from Partsexpress

Options
danielyu
danielyu Posts: 10
I'm looking to upgrade my speaker wires from Monster XP to 12-gauge wires. Is this wire from PartsExpress any good?

SOLUTIONS 12 GA. SPEAKER WIRE KIT 50'

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15739858&St=3770&St2=44451300&St3=77061941&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=119718&DID=7

I also need subwoofer cable, is Monster Bass 400 really better than 300 or other brands sub cable?

Please advise
Post edited by danielyu on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It's alright to go with a stranded heavy gauge wire for your sub-woofer, but you should try a solid strand wire (audioquest comes to mind) for your other speakers. If you want to do it inexspensively, try Radio Shacks 18awg solid core copper wire, doubled up. Just strip enough from both ends to make your connection, then twist a pair of 18awg wires together; one pair for + one pair for -. I've found that solid core wire tends to have less "grain." (awaiting maximum flamage on that comment). Then use 12 or 14awg copper strand for your sub-woofer--and by the way--it doesn't need to be Monster Cable--any good quality/high purity copper strand will work. Avoid Home Depot's wire...I have witnessed it first-hand turn green with time, not good.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I dont know why you would go with single strand wire. For the same gauge it has less flexibility and more resistance due to the skin effect. If you get oxygen-free copper it should take years before the exposed copper corrodes.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Also, a subwoofer cable just carries signal voltage from the pre/pro to the sub amp. You do not need heavy stranded wire if the cable doesn't carry any current. All you need is good tight plugs for the ground and a sheild. Daniel, you do not need monster cable, any sheilded cable with rca style plugs will suffice IMO.
    Graham
  • steveinaz
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gatemplin
    ...If you get oxygen-free copper it should take years before the exposed copper corrodes.

I used to think the same thing until I saw my friends Home Depot 12awg "speaker wire" turn green.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    I used to think the same thing until I saw my friends Home Depot 12awg "speaker wire" turn green.

Yep. That happened to the 12 AWG wire i bought at Home Depot. Didn't take too long, either. About a year, i'd say.
  • danielyu
    danielyu Posts: 10
    edited October 2003
    Options
    i just wanted to clarify that my original post was to ask 2 q's:

Should I upgrade for speaker wires (5 channel) from Monster XP, which is 16 awg I assume, to a 12 awg from places such as PartsExpress or Home Depot/Lowes/Radio shack. These brands are cheaper than Monster's Origianl 12 awg wires (about $1.25/ft). So I want you guys' inputs on what wires to get.

A separate quesiton is on Sub Cable. I"m using line-level input from A/V. Thinking of using Monster's 300 cable, but donno if other brands cheaper cable would deliver the same quality of signals to my sub.

Thanks guys for your inputs so far
  • steveinaz
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Q1: As long as you go with a high purity OFC stranded cable, any of those companies, except Home Depot, is fine. Home Depots' stranded wire will turn green--NOT GOOD.

Q2: Don't spend the farm on a sub-woofer cable. We're not talking about delicate sounds being reproduced here. Just go with a reasonably priced name brand cable. Try Tributaries, very good inexpensive cables. Search them in Yahoo, or see them at http://www.audioadvisor.com