1998 Grand Cherokee, Kenwood HU failing to power on

Options
CEOTyler
CEOTyler Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I bought a new Kenwood 348U from best buy today, along with a dash mount kit, speaker cable, and a harness adapter for my vehicle model. I connected each wire from the HU to the harness adapter correctly and then went outside to hook it up, but when I turn the ignition switch the radio will not turn on. I tested the yellow and red wires and they're both powered, so what gives?

Edit: I touched the power control from the stereo to the dimmer wire from the jeep, this caused the stereo to turn on for a couple seconds, and then turn off. The dimmer wire has no effect when the cabin lights are on though
'98 Grand Cherokee Laredo - MTX Audio 10" Sub-woofer, Pioneer Premier GM-X422 amplifier, (4) 6x8" Kenwood 3-ways, Kenwood 348U Head Unit

Pair of vintage Panasonic SB-3057's
Post edited by CEOTyler on

Comments

• CEOTyler
    CEOTyler Posts: 5
    edited November 2011
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Sounds like your remote wire isn't connected.

This was one of the 2 problems. First, the ground wire was totally separate from all of the cable harnesses, so I CORRECTLY connected the stereo ground to the car ground, and the stereo successfully powered up. When the stereo finally turned on, there was no sound. So after a lot of trouble shooting and toying around, I came to this setup that worked:

Attach door speaker input and output wires to each other to bypass the amp and have the stereo power the door speakers
    Attach the remote wire from the amp to both the Antenna Control (blue/white) and Power Control (Blue)
    Run RCA cables from the head unit's pre out to the amp, and hook the subwoofer up to the amp

Thanks for the help, I can now bang down my block
    '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo - MTX Audio 10" Sub-woofer, Pioneer Premier GM-X422 amplifier, (4) 6x8" Kenwood 3-ways, Kenwood 348U Head Unit

Pair of vintage Panasonic SB-3057's
  • seikialice88
    seikialice88 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Options
    CEOTyler wrote: »
    I bought a new Kenwood 348U from best buy today, along with a dash mount kit, speaker cable, and a harness adapter for my vehicle model. I connected each wire from the HU to the harness adapter correctly and then went outside to hook it up, but when I turn the ignition switch the radio will not turn on. I tested the yellow and red wires and they're both powered, so what gives?

Edit: I touched the power control from the stereo to the dimmer wire from the jeep, this caused the stereo to turn on for a couple seconds, and then turn off. The dimmer wire has no effect when the cabin lights are on though
    Thanks you for the post.
  • logo896
    logo896 Posts: 322
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ive installed car audio for friends for about 12 years now and probably the most funny thing ive ever seen was somebody mixed up the antenna line and the remote and asked me" my subwoofer only works when i listen the radio" I instantly knew what was wrong but it was entertaining. Also One installer seacrate. Run your power line on the separate side from your pre out lines. That will keep your car from buzzing when you accelerate. Its caused by the power line bleeding in. Also a little dinomatt goes a long way and is cheap on amazon.