Choice cds for auditioning...

Options
Lsi9
Lsi9 Posts: 616
edited October 2003 in Speakers
My choice has got to be one the greatest (acoustic) guitar cds ever, a great cd for high freq. response >CLICK<

Audio Physic Scorpio II
Pathos Logos
MIT Shotgun S3
Bada HD-22 CDP
Post edited by Lsi9 on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Anything Enya. Especially the album Watermark with the songs Storms in Africa (I and II) and Orinoco Flow. Other than that, I just cycle through my collection of 60s-80s Yes and anything else from the 70s (minus disco)

DooD

Edit- for something a little more on the contemp. side of music, I use my Blue Man Group CD, Audio. Mostly the song "Rods and Cones," but all of their songs have a good mix of frequencies in there. Plus they do make some cool rhythm from time to time :-).
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,067
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Dream Theater - Scences From a Memory
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited September 2003
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I would suggest picking up (they probably still have it) Telarc Sampler Vol 2

Track #1 - The Magnificent Seven Theme by Kunzel and the Cinci Pops -THE demo song (thanks again George) for your system not to mention there is no song better for getting the testosterone flowing. I listen to this every time I have to give a sample for the fertility clinic, I KNOW it gets my boys swimming a little faster

Track 3 - Holst: The Planets - Mars

Track 8 - Puccini Nessun dorma! from Turnadot ....I just LOVE this track

Track 12 - Bizet: Les toreadors for the Carmen Suite

all in all, a GREAT demo CD. Something for everyone.

I picked this up a couple years ago on the Telarc website for 2.99

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Madonna - American Life

This is especially good on a set of SDA's...soundstage is 6-8 ft beyond each speaker.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Excellent sound and performance of Gliere's IL'ya Murometz on Telarc 80609.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sarah Brightman "Harem"
    Sarah Brightman "Eden"
    Carmen (1965 recording with Maria Callas)

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Flim & the BB's "Tricycle"
    Exceptionally sharp attacks in the title track.

Stravinsky's "Firebird" - Dutoit and Montreal on London
    Tracks 12 - 15's dynamics are a true test.

Robbie Robertson's "Storyville"
    Richly recorded

Prince's "Kiss"
    Uncomplicated detail to be revealed.

MJ's "Man in the Mirror" off of "Bad"
    Shimmering highs; special recording process.

INXS' "Kick"

The above are good for any system. Then there are specialty lists for SDA and bass that a serch will turn up...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Terrax
    Enigma!

You're darn right!

New album Voyageur came out today, it's great!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I use "Poem" by Delerium. I have the limited edition that contains "Terra Firma" and I also have the vinyl version of regular mix version.
    Thanks for the Enigma news. All Enigma fans should check out Delerium, Conjure One and Balligomingo.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited September 2003
    Options
    A lot of Dave Matthew's Band's stuff has well recorded drums that are easy to isolate from the rest of the instrument which I find makes for good comparisons between speakers.

Specifically there's a drum solo on 'Live at Red Rocks' on the beginning of the track called #36
  • Lsi9
    edited September 2003
    Options
    TALKING TIMBUKTU >CLICK< the first link from before is dead...

since listening to this cd, I have discovered other African musicians and realized the cds they make are so unique because of the instruments they use and their untrained way of playing...soundwise these cds are great, they are a feast for the ears... heres some good ones:

Fela Anikulapo Kuti
    Kanda Bongo Man
    Youssou N'Dour
    Salif Keita

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • RCR1
    RCR1 Posts: 6
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Linda Ronstadt - Cry Like A Rainstorm-Howl Like The Wind

Track 3 - All My Life - Duet with her and Aaron Neville
    Track 5 - Don't Know Much with Aaron Neville sounds really good.

The whole album is really well produced and just a really clean sound.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2003
    Options
    What? :confused: No B. Marley? Kidding me
    Life without music would
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tonyv1
    I use "Poem" by Delerium. I have the limited edition that contains "Terra Firma" and I also have the vinyl version of regular mix version.
    Thanks for the Enigma news. All Enigma fans should check out Delerium, Conjure One and Balligomingo.

Definately Delerium, I got my signed album cover of Chimera ;)

http://imagehost.peanutbuttermonkeyball.com/Chimera1sm.jpg

Conjure One is definately good as well, I really like Sinead's and Poe's songs on there, very beautiful.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Berty
    Berty Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Try the soundtrack of Braveheart, great bass. I just listen to Paradigm Studio 60 v2 with that CD and they clip at less than the half of the volume of the amplifier (70 watts)

Bert

Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH
    Mains: Polk Rti10
    Center: Polk Csi-5
    Surround: Rc-65i
    Back surr.: Rc-85i
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2003
    Options
    dire straits, on every street is pretty good.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • gtbiker
    gtbiker Posts: 15
    edited October 2003
    Options
    OutKast, the love below by Andree 3000. I have the LSI9's and that CD really amazed me with what the 9's can do and I've had them for a year. The instruments are super clear and detailed.
    LSi9, LSiC, PSW1200, Definitive Technology BP2X surrounds, Sony rcvr STR-DE435, Panasonic DVD-RA60
  • mikejz84
    mikejz84 Posts: 158
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I know at the local audiophile store here the owner has a collection of over 1000 cds that you can listen to:) While I was demoing some stuff one of his albums stuck out at me "Slant 6 Mind" by Greg Brown http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001BBK/qid%3D1065217415/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-2939548-0524808

Listen to track 3--Mose Allison Played Here
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited October 2003
    Options
    One word: Zappa.
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well this does not seem to be the choice of music for most of the people on this post, but I would have to go with Nine Inch Nails DVD "And All That Could Have Been" (DTS version). There are some instrumental only songs that sound amazing. I believe track 10 is the first one.

If you know anyone with the DTS version of this dvd (most are only dolby digital) definitely take a day to listen to the instrumental only songs. Well you can always listen to both entire dvd’s from the set too
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms. One of the cleanest, all digital recordings I ever heard. Also has awesome L/R imaging for you two channel folks.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Northern Exposure -- Original TV Sound Track

Tracks of special interest are:

Track 1: Northern Exposure theme. Has a tribal drum beat to it, very distinctive and easy to localize. Also has some off-key vocals in the background.

Track 2: Jolie Louise - Daniel Lanois. This a very Creole or at least a French/Lousiana/Cajun sounding track. Could even be French Canadian. There isn't much special about it but is a smooth and flowing song with a few key changes that can show weaknesses. Also, it has a steady bass rythm comprised of your typical drum kit and a bass fiddle. It can get deep and subtle. Big, booming bass is a good test but you will only be able to find accuracy with such a subtle and dynamic range that can come only from a bass fiddle.

Track 3: Hip Hug-Her - Booker T. & The MG's. It is an instrumental where the predominant instrument sounds like an old Hammond B3 organ. Not necessarily the cleanest recording but between the high pitch Hammond B3 harmony and the heavy bass fiddle, it can challenge the accuracy and range of a system well.

Track 6: Alaskan Nights - David Schwartz. This is again an instrumental. It is a very nice recording. It has some hiss to it but it is a quiet and mellow jazz tune that has a pleasant air to it. There is nothing exteremly powerful about this track at all. The benefit here is that it is a multipiece band playing and the lead is what I think is a clarinet. It is a decent recording in the sense that at certain times, you can actually hear the musician taking a breath and you can hear the drum brush scraping across the drum head. That is in addition to the sounds that both those things are supposed to make. It's a good recording for a test on anything.

There are a total of 12 tracks on this CD and any one of them including the recording of Lynard Skynard - Gimmie Three Steps is worthy of a test track. There is also a track that is operatic if not an actual opera track. I don't know much about opera but it is a good way to test the way a speaker reproduces vocals. that track is track 11: Bailero (from "Chants D'Auvergne") - Frederica Von Stade

This CD can be and is hard to find, although I think Tower Records has it in stock for like 12 dollars. It is not the only CD I have used to test sound systems but it is one of the best ones I have used for the main reason that there is such a diverse range of music decently recorded on the album. Hell, I like the album too! There are even recordings from Nat King Cole and Etta James on there too. It's worth it just for that alone!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Lsi9
    edited October 2003
    Options
    interesting choices...a good live cd can audition speakers well...

one I like is 'Mingus in Antibes 60' by Charles Mingus, a great jazz cd, very intimate, clean and hardly any room resonance... all this and it was recorded in 1960!!...borrow it from your local library :)

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    Well this does not seem to be the choice of music for most of the people on this post, but I would have to go with Nine Inch Nails DVD "And All That Could Have Been" (DTS version). There are some instrumental only songs that sound amazing. I believe track 10 is the first one.

If you know anyone with the DTS version of this dvd (most are only dolby digital) definitely take a day to listen to the instrumental only songs. Well you can always listen to both entire dvd’s from the set too

Absolutely agree with you. That DVD gives the ultimate workout / test to any speakers. It is my all time favorite.
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Funkadelic-Maggot Brain Great HF testing with some screeching guitars.

Rossini-William Tell Overture (telarc) Great test of dynamics.

Moby-Verb (What's a happening) (Schoolhouse Rock) Great musical bass that is easily muddied.

SunRa-Lanquidity Great test of imaging.

Vivaldi-Four Seasons Great test for mids with plenty of massed strings.

After I have these attributes narrowed down I put in Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here, crank it up and see.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • torotot
    torotot Posts: 16
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I like Bass 301 CDs
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Jstas!
    I stole the Northern Exposure CD from my sister. She doesn't even know! I love "Don Quixote" by Magazine 60!!!!
    Still waiting for the series to come out on DVD. Fortunately I have ALL the epsiodes recorded, labelled and referenced.
    Joel and Maggie forever!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tonyv1
    Hey Jstas!
    I stole the Northern Exposure CD from my sister. She doesn't even know! I love "Don Quixote" by Magazine 60!!!!
    Still waiting for the series to come out on DVD. Fortunately I have ALL the epsiodes recorded, labelled and referenced.
    Joel and Maggie forever!

You know that there is a 2nd Northern Exposure sountrack CD? It's called...get this...More Music from Northern Exposure. It's also a pretty good CD but has more of the "weird" music that Chris played in the radio station. I like both CD's and I'm also waiting for that show to come out on DVD. It had to be one of the best written dramas on T.V. at the time. I liked it best because alot of the jokes and situations you had to think about to get. Now all they do is show peoples' butts and bedroom scenes and call it a good drama. I was sad when it went off the air.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk President Posts: 0
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sounds like you like acoustic guitar. Have you ever heard of the compilation CD's on Windym Hill that were compiled by Taylor Guitars? Taylor is probabky the preminent builder of fine playable acoustics today and they are populated by people very into their art. They assembled two or three CD's in conjunction with Windym Hill that are pretty terrific. I still like the first one the best but they are all good. You can find them among other places at Taylor's website at this link:
    http://216.120.92.69/taylorware/category.asp?categoryid=1005