Suggestions for small amps for new setup

Options
exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited February 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking to have a back seat again...problem being my amps are a tad on the large side being 23-33" long...lol.

So I'm in the market (or will be soon hopefully) for some small amps...thinking maybe Alpine PDX, but open to other options as well.

I need a 50x4, 100x2 and a 1000x1 or something along those lines. I need to find out what my subs are. I cant remember if theyre dual 2's or dual 1's...i think they're D2s, which kind of sucks since the PDX's are only 2 ohm stable.

If not, I might go with the newer RF amps which are 1 ohm stable, cheaper to buy, but bigger :(

Suggestions?
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    almost forgot about the new 'digital' polk amps...If the sub is a D2, they'll match what I need perfectly!

-Cody
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Can't help you choose if you don't talk about the voicing you're looking for. Warm, laid back, clinical......:biggrin:
    How about JL and Arc? I think they both make some small footprint amps. The new PDX and RF are good too. The D 2000.2 will give you your 125x2. Speakers going to be DLS? What are you using for dsp?
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    DLS IR3 and tweeter, Peerless XLS 8s in th doors, RF 360.2 for processing.

I'm trying to do this on the cheaper side, which, of course, puts JL out of the equation. I need a new motorcycle suit :)
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hopefully I'll be selling all my old stuff next weekend :)

I guess I still need to figure out what resistance the coils on my subs are...lol.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Arc Audio has some really small D amps out that are running for some very reasonable prices. Mid $200's for some of them I think if I heard right. Had a couple guys at finals running them and theyre pretty small but had some very good output.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The biggest Arc is still down on power from my needs.

Have you heard anything about the new Polk amps Aaron?
    -Cody
  • arun1963
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This one is 4x80 watts. You mentioned you needed 4x50 in your first post..... you can then get the polk D1000.1 for 1200x1 at 1 ohm and the PA 250.2 for 125wx2.
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    might as well get this one if im doing 2 other polk amps:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pa/index.php#pad4000_4

We'll have to see. This guy is coming next weekend to pick this stuff up. I'm not counting my chickens til they hatch. But I am OCD enough to want everything to match unless Im getting a realllly good deal.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    The biggest Arc is still down on power from my needs.

Have you heard anything about the new Polk amps Aaron?
    -Cody

Nope. Don't know much about them at all.

How much juice are you needing? I know their sub amp is kinda puny but the 4 channel is 80 watts per and that's plenty if you're biamping.

If you're needing more power, the Polls might be the way to go. Like I said, I don't know anything about them but the PA amps were pretty solid so I'd assume the D's would be as good.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    50x4, 100x2 and a 1000x1...the 1000 could be 750, but I'd much rather have too much than too little.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2011
    Options
    50x4? What amps are you looking at? The class D Arc's are 80x4 and the Polk D is 125x4 (but that's at 14V and only at 1KHz so you're talking more like 90 real world).

• exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    thats just a minimum requirement.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hopefully should know for sure this weekend if my buyer pulls through. I miss working for a stereo shop. I wish I would have done things different now...I couldve made a lot of money buying equipment, using it for a year, selling it, and buying more...haha. The equipment I'm selling is ~ 5 years old and I'm selling it for more than I bought it for. One amp is still in the plastic wrap...oops.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Sold all my amps today :(
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I can never bring myself to sale any of my old stuff. Ive still got an old Coustic amp from the early 90's. If it wasnt for my wife, Id be one of those hoarders you see on tv with crap piled 7 feet high on each side.

• exalted512
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I still have my trusty 500.2 that's in the truck. I still have my bd1000 that i bought when i was 15...but i blew it a long time ago...haha.

I have some other amps too I think. I know both my brahmas are still in the closet, as well as a RE10 that's never been used.

and my old pioneer 940mp head unit.

But the T-series amps are just too large to keep around (and worth too much money...haha). I'm definitely sad to see that stuff go though. A lot of hard work went into that system and it was never even completed.

I think I'm probably just going to buy a small 4-channel for now. No need to buy another 2-channel when I have at least one (and maybe one more) laying around not doing anything.

Also going to hold off on buying another sub amp until the box is finished. Maybe by that time (i dont plan to start anytime soon), Polk will have them on their ebay site, refurbished.

-Cody
  • arun1963
    edited December 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I can never bring myself to sale any of my old stuff. Ive still got an old Coustic amp from the early 90's. If it wasnt for my wife, Id be one of those hoarders you see on tv with crap piled 7 feet high on each side.

Girls have a way freeing up space.......as long as it's not their stuff occupying that space. At one point I was planning to sell the Polk amps but it was easier to just install them in the wifes car. But she did make me get rid of my collection of 400 odd books a few years back. That really hurt.
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I still have my trusty 500.2 that's in the truck. I still have my bd1000 that i bought when i was 15...but i blew it a long time ago...haha.

I have some other amps too I think. I know both my brahmas are still in the closet, as well as a RE10 that's never been used.

and my old pioneer 940mp head unit.

But the T-series amps are just too large to keep around (and worth too much money...haha). I'm definitely sad to see that stuff go though. A lot of hard work went into that system and it was never even completed.

I think I'm probably just going to buy a small 4-channel for now. No need to buy another 2-channel when I have at least one (and maybe one more) laying around not doing anything.

Also going to hold off on buying another sub amp until the box is finished. Maybe by that time (i dont plan to start anytime soon), Polk will have them on their ebay site, refurbished.

-Cody

Yeah, you probably don't need to buy anymore. In case you do, will your ex place of work still give you some discount? Did you get the batman suit?
  • exalted512
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'm sure I could still get stuff at cost, but accommodations straight from RF are way less than what dealer cost is.

No batman suit, if you want to buy it for me, I'll sure as hell wear it though...haha.
    -Cody
  • BigDWiz
    BigDWiz Posts: 14
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have a RF PBR300x1 and PBR300x4 and they are TINY. The 300x4 may work for you as it's 75x4, but only rated at 4 ohms (and non-bridgeable). The 300x1 is underpowered for what you are looking for. Rockford is coming out with a PBR500x1 soon, but still may not be enough power based on your requirements. Have you looked at the JL Audio HD750/1 or HD1200/1? Not sure you can get more power in less footprint than these.

If anyone's interested, I did a two part test of the PBR300x1 on my YouTube channel:

Part 1:

Part 2:
    http://www.OldSchoolStereo.com

See Old School Amps, Speakers and much more on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/bigdwiz
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Im in the same boat. My M45 with Bose system probably sucks just as bad as your non-Bose. I cant seem to find replacement sizes ANYWHERE

Anyone with info on replacement speaker sizes for the M35/M45? Any help would be appreciated

David

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/carselector.aspx?lp=%2fApp%2fCar%2foutfitmycar%2fMyCar.aspx

Also join Infinity forum, I'm sure that info is there as well (if not better)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1