another Direct TV ?

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited September 2003 in Electronics
I have another Direct TV question, and seeing how the morons who answer the phones at the Direct TV tech. support center don't know there **** from a hole in their head, I'll ask the Polk Forum.

I've been searching Ebay & the retail strores & internet distributers looking for a Direct TV receiver WITH a Dolby Digital output. (the receiver that came with the package I got is NOT DD compatible)

Now for my question: Is it worth me getting the DD receiver when the channel package I have is just the basic channels? I DO NOT get any movie channels (HBO, STARZ, ect...) & I don't order pay-per-view. So, would I even be getting a DD signal with the "basic" channels?

Direct TV advertisements tought "ALL DIGITAL PICTURE & SOUND", but is that true?

If anyone has a Direct TV receiver with a Dolby Digital output and wants to sell it, let me know.

Thanks,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gmorris

Now for my question: Is it worth me getting the DD receiver when the channel package I have is just the basic channels? I DO NOT get any movie channels (HBO, STARZ, ect...) & I don't order pay-per-view. So, would I even be getting a DD signal with the "basic" channels?

Direct TV advertisements tought "ALL DIGITAL PICTURE & SOUND", but is that true?

Thanks,
    Greg

DD is broadcast only on the premium channels and pay per view so an upgrade on your end will be money not enjoyed.

Yes Direct TV is an all digital broadcast but that does not mean that all their channels are High Def or have DD. True high def and DD must be relayed from the source and then it is relayed via the Direct TV system.

Hope this helps.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    so what you're saying is that in my case, with just the basic channels, I should not waste my money on a DD receiver?
  • HBombToo
    edited September 2003
    Options
    so what you're saying is that in my case, with just the basic channels, I should not waste my money on a DD receiver?

Yes. Why spend money on something if you have no intention of using it. There will come a day in which you want it but untill that time look elsewhere.

I have all channels available on Direct TV including High Def and I think it is worth every pennie spent. Direct TV has a lot to offer in home entertainment and you should really consider the little extra coin to enjoy it.

What type TV do you have? If you have a high def TV the Zenith Sat 520 is a great little receiver for Direct TV and Over the Air. I started off with the Hughes E86 and hated it from the time I pulled it out of the box. The very next day I took it back and am glad I did.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I do not have a Digital TV yet. I probably won't have one for quite a while.

In the mean time, I'm focusing on getting my audio portion of the home theater put together.
  • HBombToo
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In the mean time, I'm focusing on getting my audio portion of the home theater put together.

Good plan! Whatcha got now and where do you hope to be?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Finally, Hbomb, I seem to have found a fellow forum member who likes to chew the fat about their systems.

SO far I have: 1 pair of Polk Audio R30's for mains. 2 CSi30's for front center & rear center. 1 pair of R20's for surrounds. My subwoofer is a homemade job. You can read about it here: http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12462

My next purchase will be my receiver. I am getting an Onkyo TX-SR601 from an authorized internet reseller for $400. I think that is a super deal. I've never ordered a component from an internet reseller, so this is going to be a test, I guess.... Here is the link to the reseller: http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/default.asp

My TV is a 32" Sony Trinitron that I got as a graduation gift about 6 years ago. It is not HD, or even flat screen, but it still is in super shape & works great. I have Direct TV service, but again, just basic channels. I think the Direct TV is great. The picture on the Sony is awesome. I have turned up the sharpness as far as I can without it getting grainy. Kink of my fake HD viewing.

I've also got a Pioneer 25 disc CD changer, & a Sharp DVD player. After the receiver, I'll be getting a new DVD player. Denon has just released the DVD-2200, which is a universal (DVD-A, DVD-V & SACD) for $600 retail. What I'm going to wait for is Onkyo to release a mid-priced universal player. If they don't, then I'll just get the Denon DVD-2200.