? for Mr. Grand...

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited September 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I saw your review of the Dynaco Quadaptor on audioreview.com I've seen these things pop up on ebay once in a while but I'm still not sure what it does. Something for 2ch that enhances soundstage?

Can you tell me what they do to a 2ch rig? Is there any websites selling them other than ebay?

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2003
    The Dynaco Quadaptor is a passive, ambience retrieval device. It requires a minimum of four speakers, ideally all the same. It requires only two stereo channels of amplification. Anyone with a stereo receiver and 4 speakers can utilise one.

The original Dynaco Quadaptor, provided no impedance protection. It took the 4 speakers and hooked them in parallel, so you really wanted to watch out for say, two pair of 4 ohm speakers. The original also incorporated a "null" switch, to achieve perfect left right balance. The original had small binding post/knurled knob connectors. I once read it was suitable for use with amps up to 200wpc (this was after I used one for 3 years with a 375wpc amp). The original is silver, taller than it is wide, with nothing but a single knob for rear speaker volume, and that big black selector switch. That's it, two controls.

The Quadaptor II, is essentially the same circuit, with less features. The remake allows for up to 5 speakers. The remake has a couple of "different" surround settings, and a switch for center channel "in or out". The remake has NO null switch, but that's no biggie. The remake has spring type connectors, which will realistically only allow the use of up to 16 gauge speaker cable (MAYBE 14). The remake is black, wider than it is tall, with three rotary controls. It also provides a measure of impedance protection. It is not defeatable.

Man, I have used both the original and the remake. They are wondertoys. It may not seem like a big deal, now that everybody has a half assed system that will get helicopters circling in their family rooms. But the Quadaptors really work magic. They will give you 90% of the surround effects that Dolby Digital will, and will BETTER most HT receivers at delivering realistic music. You just have to go in open minded. It may be tough to get adjusted to surround effects that are less prominent, but more realistic. The best old test was to sit in the listening position, and have somebody else switch off the rear speakers while the Quadaptor was engaged. The entire soundfield collapses to the two front speakers. It's right then that you realize the effects of the Quadaptor are indeed subtle, yet unmistakably THERE, and you have a tough time with 2 channels from that point on. I have still never heard, to this day, a device that more realistically re-creates the actual recording venue or location.

For large scale surround effects for video, stick with Dolby Digital.

If you're cheap like me, and don't like the diminishing returns thing, get a Quadaptor, they work wonders for the money.

If you want a real cool, old piece of hi-fi, get one.

I have both an original, and a remake. The remake is from the estate of the late, great, audio guru, Leonard Feldman

I think the remakes are still available at the Panor website, for $29.99 or something like that.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • organ
    edited September 2003
    Thanks a lot for the great info Mr. Grand. Now I really want to try one. Only problem is that my surround speakers are the 800i's so I'm not sure how they'll match. For $30 it's worth a try. I'll look for an original. If I can't find one, I'll get the remake. Thanks again.

Maurice
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2003
    You're welcome.

The rears don't have to be the same as the fronts, but the same sonic signature would be a plus. Top of the line up front, middle of the line in the rear. Same tweets if you can. The rears should not be more sensitive or efficient than the front if it can be helped.

I forgot, one great by-product of having rear speakers firing out of phase in relation to the fronts is the cancellation or reduction in severity of some standing waves. You get awesome deep bass response, if the speakers are capable of it. It takes on a heftiness and fullness that is not present with only two speakers.

I just looked, and the remake is available at www.dynaco.com for $29.99 + $20 shipping (which is excessive but there you have it). It's listed at the website under "Home Theater".

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • organ
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the link. The only problem I see is that I'm using a tube amp with only 35w/ch and the efficiency rating on the RT800i is much higher than the LSi9. I wonder if there's a way to connect two amps because my NAD amp for the 800i has a variable input. I'm still going to try it out though. If I can't use it, I'll let my parents borrow it.

Maurice