Denon 2900 vs Pioneer dv-47ai

Options
malikarshad
malikarshad Posts: 527
edited October 2003 in Electronics
Hi guys might be this question has been asked before. But want to get a fresh perspective of you knowledgeable fellas. As we a ever expanding knowledgebase here at this forum.
I have a chance to pick Denon 2900 for $750 or a pioneer elite dv-47ai at $550.
What in your opinions I should choose in the light of my system setup. Currently my needs are mostly audio but I'm gonna buy a big 53" hdtv this year end or early next year IA.
At the given price which is a good deal for current and future use.
Thanx in advance for your valuable opinions.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
Post edited by malikarshad on

Comments

• malikarshad
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Guys I would really appreciate your quick response as I have this deal for the next 3 days only.

Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
  • malikarshad
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Alright. Majority wins. Got the Denon DVD-2900 & looks like its an awesome player from my initial tests. The sound is so detailed, crisp, clear & movies have added a new meaning. The surround is so detailed & clear. My panasonic dvd player was not even producing some sounds.
    Thanks to those who took the time to vote. Was surprised to see only few votes.
    Looks like people are busy concentrating on good receiver & amps but doesn't pay attention to how their av source are being played thru. I have a good receiver & speakers but my source was Panasonic low end dvd player so I wasn't able to unleash the power of my system. My system sounds terrific with the addition of a quality DVD player.

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I honestly missed this thread, or I would have voted. But I have no experience with the Pioneer, so I really would have been just a Denon advocate at that point.

I would have told you what you now already know - the Denon 2900 has outstanding picture and sound quality in all formats. It seems well built and thus far has functioned perfectly in all respects.

I can't emphasize enough how superior the PQ and SQ is through the 2900 compared to almost anything else I have demo'd or seen. They really did their homework on the audio end with the custom DACs and sophisticated multi format processor. And the video end is already covered with the incredible SI engine and chroma bug free MPEG decoder.

This really is just a superb player in this price range.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Shell
    Shell Posts: 134
    edited September 2003
    Options
    malikarshad, where did you get the 2900 for 750? Was it from an authorized dealer? I am also in the market for the 2900 or 2200. The 2900 is just out of my range from the places I looked. I am still not sure what the $300 dollar difference is between the 2200 and the 2900 other then a small difference in the DAC?
  • malikarshad
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hi Shell,
    I got it from Ulimate Electronics. I was looking for a little while for 2900 & 2200 was not in stock. I usually buy from the same sales guy & he was nice enough to lower the price for me.
    I was also in the same dilemma about 2900 & 2200 but when he offered this price i couldn't resist.
    Just audition both of them if u have a chance & choose for yourself.
    My initial impression of 2900 are quite good. The sound is so detail, clear & crisp. That was expected as I upgraded from a cheap panasonic player.
    Well if you find about 2200 please post a reply.