remote turn on wire

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
i knew there was something i was forgetting and this was it
what is the limit of this wire?
(the blue one coming out the hu)
limit as in how many of these can i have coming off?
i have 2 right now that are running of the hu
i was wondering what my options were
i have 3 amps and 2 capacitors
can i just split the existing 2 wires to go to each amp/capacitor or will i need to run a couple more wires from the hu to the amps?
i have one split right now...it was going to my bd1000(when i had it) and to my capacitor
but now i have 2 amps and 2 caps intead of 1 amp and 1 cap for my subs
everything will be ready to do except for the remote wire
all i have to do now is run the grounds and ill be done(cept of course with the remote turn on wire)
im going to connect the XM radio up today hopefully as well and get it started monday
and as for the capacitor...i think its charged enough....so i went ahead and put it in...
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited September 2003
    You have remote wires running to the caps? Weird. I've never seen a remote turn on on a capacitor. The only way I've ever done it, or ever seen it done is just "hard wire" the caps and run remote or remotes from the hu to the amps. On my current setup I have one remote from the hu to my front amp and another remote jumped from that amp to my rear amp. Works great.
    "The Big C"
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited September 2003
    I've always had 3 amps + a relay....Never had an issue in 20 yrs
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    yeah it has a remote lead to the cap
    im not sure what it does but it has like a voltage indicator
    not the digital one
    just has like 7 bars...the more bars..the more filled the cap is
    im not sure if its just linked to that or not
    so you guys think i should just split the wires and go off to each amp?
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    and btw...something i shouldve mentioned in my first post
    the hu is a pioneer premier deh-940mp
    one of pioneers highest grade hu's
    20awg wire is about right isnt it?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    personally i wouldn't worry about it, remote wires don't pull a lot of power anyway...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    thats what i was thinking...but i wanted to make sure...and theres not really a whole lot of other options except buying some type of booster...but 20awg will work fine?
    i went to radio shack...looking for 18awg...but all they have was 20 and up or 14 and down
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    20 gauge remote wire is fine... however.

i would use a relay because yes you can burn out a remote turn on lead.

i did it before, by accident, but it sucked.

run 20 gauge to a SPST (single pole single throw) relay's #85 pin.

run pin #86 to ground.

pin #87 goes to 12 volt power (off the caps or off one of the power lines -- 16 gauge wire - speaker wire is fine).

pin #30 goes to all your **** - amps, caps, whatever u want to turn on.

I think a 10 amp relay would be fine, but just try going to radio-**** and getting a 10 amp relay - the only ones you'll find are spdt PC board ones that are like the size of a quarter... unless you're the "hey cool i get to solder!" type, then you're not gonna want that. the only basic relays radio shack has is a SPST Automotive 30 Amp relay -- i duno the item number, but that's the item name. its 5 bucks... which is highway robbery, but again, unless you're buying **** online, radioshack is about the only place u can turn to - and they charge high.

but that relay with some female spade clips will hook up in like 2 seconds. and its got a screw hole so you can actually screw it down to your back wall if y ou want.

.... and caps with voltage indicators requring remmy turn on wires are common these days. not that i've ever seen the usefullness of them, but i'll tell ya -- they LOOK good :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    yeah the voltage meters are pretty useless...the only thing i use them for is to set the sensitivity...thats about it
    they look cool...but being behind my back seat you dont ever see them...
    but thanks a lot vince(Again)
    heading to radio shack now...everything will be done saturday(at the latest) if nothing else goes amiss
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    oh it will, believe me it will ;D jk not trying to jinx you good luck though ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited September 2003
    lol...thanks mtx...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    Looking at Dodge's relay instructions, I thought the remote turn-on was a 5V circuit. Wouldn't running a relay with 12V source be bad?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Rogue Torino
    Rogue Torino Posts: 50
    edited October 2003
    nope remote turn on is 12V
    -Joe
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    some older head units had 5 volt on's -- i think my alpine is still a 5 V on, even though its only like 4 years or so old...

they ran them off the same cluster of **** they ran buttons off of.

most amps will turn on with as little as 3 volts and up to 20 volts to the turn on terminal -- i think they just suck differing amounts of current to compensate.

however, ya, pretty much every remmy lead as of late has been 12 volts.

and even if it was 5, 12 wont hurt the amps at all, it'll be the same thing to them.
  • MTXMAN
    edited October 2003
    u could always just run a wire from constant power with a switch, just make sure not to leave the switch on...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2003
    ... or from switched power to a switch. that way if u forget - it goes off anyway.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited October 2003
    off of pin 87, the power wire, is 18awg alright?
    i thought i had 16awg laying around somewhere but i dont i guess...or its lost...
    and 18awg is the next i have...that or 8awg...
    im hooking it up to my caps
    -Cody