front effects speakers

Options
rhulett
rhulett Posts: 89
I currently have csi70, rti70(fronts), fxi30(side surrounds) rti28(rear surrounds) and wonder if anyone has added a pair of speakers(like on speaker set B) for an additional sound improvement. I played around with it today by moving the rti28 up front and running them in conjunction with the rti70's and it did seem to "open" up the sound stage. But I also wonder if it just seemed that way because they were placed on the top shelf of the entertainment center. Any thoughts?
Rob
Post edited by rhulett on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No dont do this, channel b is mainly for another system or room. It is like wiring the speakers in parallel and putting undo stress on the receiver. You can open up the sound stage by changing speaker placement. I tried the same thing myself.
    Graham
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Now now...
    Don't jump to conclusions here. I would NOT run the speaker off the same amp. However! I would run 2 pairs off of 2 amps, with a y splitter. Stack them, try it, you may like it. I do.

B is meant for another zone...however others have tried it side by side (ATC - he had LSi and SDA ran together, found great results) -- try it man.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gatemplin
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey Sid, what conclusion did I jump to? You assumed he has two amps.
    Graham
  • rhulett
    rhulett Posts: 89
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I do have another reciever I could wire in, but don't think I would go through the trouble(no pre-outs on the the main receiver). Any suggestions on raising the rti70's(probably easier than lowering the couch)
    Thanx-rob
  • gatemplin
    edited September 2003
    Options
    If your dvd player has two outputs you could. Say optical into one and coaxial into the other. About the Rti70s, you probably want the tweeters at ear level. You can certainly experiment with two amps, I use two center channels, one above, one below the TV. If you like the sound better that is all that really matters IMO.

Edit: You can try raising the 70s, toeing them in, tilting them up, raising them, moving them in or out, changing delays just mess around and stick with what you like best.
    Graham
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2003
    Options
    how do you use 2 centers? are they wired in paralel? series? or off of 2 different receivers/amps? or 1 stereo amp? wow alot more combos of that then i thought lol, just fill me in cuz i have an extra center i could use
  • gatemplin
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Airplay, I tried them in parallel and using two amps, since my Harman can handle 4 ohms I am currently using parallel, all speakers set to small and the amp doesnt get very hot. I plan to upgrade in the next year to a Denon anyways. I also tried rca's from the cd player to the amp for 5.1. Then out to a second DPL receiver to decode a mono surround channel and used the extra center (csi30) for the rear center. I know it is limited freq range but I was just experimenting. Hope this answers your question.
    Graham