how do you know if you've blown your sub

Options
sammybocat
sammybocat Posts: 15
Hi,

While configuring my sub (PSW303) and doing the auto MCACC feature on my Pioneer (VSX-D912), I accidentally had the subs volume up to the max (Had it connected wrong so it was higher).

During the tests it blared and crackeled. Is there anyway of knowing if I damaged it?

Thanks!
Post edited by sammybocat on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Ouch... just read your other thread and see how you ended up where you did. Sub volume would normally be no higher than 50% of scale or so.

Suggest you go even lower now, maybe 25%, and run signal test again. The sound of the sub will tell you if it has been damaged.

Can increase setting until it is in balance with your mains. Can be done by ear, but it's best to run to Radio Shack and plunk down $35 for their anlaog SPL meter. A calibration disc like Avia's or Sound & Vision's is also a good investment.

Good luck...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD