Car Audio Suggestions

EnerJax
EnerJax Posts: 2
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I wish I could not say "Hey guys I'm new here!" But I suppose I have to, since this is my first post on the Polk Forums. :D

I have a '93 Honda Prelude. The sound in it right now is okay, but not really giving me what I want from my music. I'd love to get a whole new system installed, but I'm stranded for cash at this moment. So I will be saving money for a big install on either my Prelude or a new car if I happen to get one.
(I hope the Prelude lasts! It already has 118,000 mi and two repairs in the past month and a half! I saw the 98 Prelude on the Polk website and almost cried. That car was hot. The Honda Civic Si also makes me giddy.)

The rear speakers are 6-1/2" Polk's (older model, probably) and they sound alright, I suppose. I got new Dual 6-1/2" in the doors with a Dual head-unit, and the tweeters (probably 3-4") sound liek they are ready to go. If I were to save up about $1000-$1500, what kind of components would you suggest installing?

Obviously I should replace the speakers and the head-unit first, to get the good sound going. But I want to get subwoofers too, of course. I would gladly get custom fittings and put MM6 systems in and the whole bit, but I'm not interested in doing that. I just want good, clean sound.

So...with the best bang for my buck, which speakers would you guys reccomend I use to replace my existing speakers with?
Post edited by EnerJax on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    just to make sure...you want a sub, 2 pairs of 6.5"s, and amps $1500?
    if thats the case...let me see if i can get it under that
    Polk speakers:
    mm6 components
    mm12 sub and enclosure
    mmc650 coaxials
    retail prices:
    mm6-$350
    mm12-$400
    mmc650-$200
    Rockford Fosgate amps:
    power 350S for coaxials
    power 550S for sub
    power 550S for components
    350S-$300
    550S-$550x2=$1100
    total: $2350
    but like i said....those are all retail prices
    www.thezeb.com prices:
    amps:
    350S-$130
    550S-$250x2=$500
    www.crutchfield.com prices:
    speakers:
    mm6-$300
    mmc650-$170
    mm12-$380
    www.thezeb.com nor www.sounddomain.com carry polk speakers, www.crutchfield.com and www.thezeb.com are both authorized dealers and will give you the full warranty
    which on all those amps and speakers i listed i believe its 3 years
    and it got you down to $1480
    but there is some stuff not included
    wiring is probably going to cost you $100-$150 and you might need a capacitor for your electrical system which i believe they have Lightning Audio ones for like $60 at either thezeb or sounddomain
    and you will need a new head unit
    another $250
    if you think that all adds up to be too much for you to spend
    go down to the polk db series, a great line for the price, but not as good as the momos
    they dont handle as much power, so youll be able to cut back on amps too
    except for the sub...stick with that sub or the mm10 10" sub (keep the same amp or you could go down to the 450S) if space is a big issue...but you can look at the dimensions of the box on this website or crutchfield
    hope that helped
    -Cody
  • EnerJax
    EnerJax Posts: 2
    edited September 2003
    hey, thanks for the advice. I'm not particularly a stickler for the price, I just wanted an idea of what might need to be done. This is all a distant thing, but as you can imagine, the more planning that's involved, the less of a chance there is to screw up.

In any case, I'll probably go with Polk, because not only does it look like everything is in order here, but the name has a decent reputation.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    no prob...
    polk's a great brand...they offer a lot for what you pay
    theyre not the best in the world by far...but compared to stuff in the same price range...it blows them away...but im not too sure about their amps...havent heard/seen/been able to play with them
    -Cody