Help wiring Spec 1 Pre-Amp to 4 Polks + a Rava powered sub

Options
Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
Folks, I am not very knowledgable with stereo equipment set-up so please be easy on me. :)

I have a Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp and a Spec 4 power-amp that is rated at 150 w/chan. I have just purchesed a pair of Polk RSi70s for front speakers, a pair of Polk RSi38 for rears and a 'Rava' powered subwoofer (250 w) I will be using a Pioneer DV-563A CD player for the source.

Some folks have told me to just use the RTi70s and the sub, and not use the 38s. I really want to use all 5 of these speakers. I say this because my old setup (same amp/different speakers) sounded more "open" before when 4 speakers were used with these amps vs just 2 fronts.

The 2 channel Spec 1 pre-amp has only wire connectors on the back of it that are for 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. No wire terminals for that 5th speaker.

1 How do I wire up the additional powered subwoofer too? This system will [not] be used initially for TV/DVD ... Just audio.

2. Oh, one last question: What type of speaker wire would be best to use. I am going to need a total of at least 60-70 ft of wire. The speaker wire connectors on the back of the pre-amp is the kind that you just lift up on the plastic tab, insert the stripped wire end and release the plastic tab. (don't know what this type of connector is called)

P.S. I don't think I will be "bi-wireing" these speakers.

Thanks,
Ron
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Options
    BTW, the Rava powered subwoofer has a crossover of 40HZ to 160HZ, if that makes any difference. The driver is a 12" Shiva.
    2-Channel Audio
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    On the amp, you have spring clip terminals. You wont have a fifth channel because it is not a 5.1 receiver, just stereo. Run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub in, and the run wire from the High out to the speakers. You should probably use 12 gauge and pin connectors to fit them into the amp. I would set the crossover around 60 or 70 Hz. If it were my system, I would return the 38s or sell em and just use the RTi70s and the sub.
    Graham
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Options
    gatemplin ...

You said: "Run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub in, and the run wire from the High out to the speakers". Like I said, I am stereo stupid. I really still want to use all 4 of the Polks + the sub.

What I understand your saying is to run the speaker wire from the amp to the sub first. Then out of the sub to the FRONT set of Polk 70s. Or would I want to run the wire from the amp to the sub, then out of the sub to the REAR set of PolK 38s?

You called the speaker wire terminals on the back of my amp as Spring Clip terminals and said I should use "Pin" type connectors to attach the speaker wire to these terminals. Is the pic below the type your talking about? Looks like this type would fit into the spring terminal just like a bare wire.

1b_1.JPG

Sorry about my poor understanding,
    Ron
    2-Channel Audio
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You can use four speakers if it makes you happy and yes use the pin connectors (doesnt have to be montster, check radio shack) on the back of the amp if you use 12 gauge. THen either add bananas or use bare wire to connect to the speaker level inputs on the sub. then run wire from the sub to either the 70s or the 38s. If you like a lot of bass, use the 38s wire into the sub.
    the sub will filter the low frequecys out and pass the highs onto the 38s. This way the 70s get the full freq. range.

The monster pin terminals will work well but you can also use straight metal pins if it is more economical, or if you are using 14 gauge, you dont need the connectors because the wires will fit into the back of the amp.
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Turbota
    my old setup (same amp/different speakers) sounded more "open" before when 4 speakers were used with these amps vs just 2 fronts.
    Ron,
    Basically all you have to do is copy the way you were wired up before, but route the front speaker wire runs through the sub as gatemplin suggested. The instructions for your sub should detail this for you.

Forgive me, but I don't know this old gear and a search for "Pioneer Spec 1 (or 4)" turned up little useful on-line info. It did however turn up several sites selling manuals... a good investment for you, if you don't have the manuals...

Anyway, you keep saying "2 ch", but I get the feeling this an old Quadraphonic pairing. Is it? The spec 1 with front and rear outs sure sounds it. Is the Spec 4 a 2 ch or a 4 ch amp? If the respective answers are "Yes" and "4", all this will start making a helluva lot more sense to me...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Turbota
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Tour ...

The Pioneer Spec 1 is the pre-amp.

spec1.jpg

The Spec 2 and Spec 4 are both power amps. The spec 2 is 250w/channel, and the Spec 4 is 150w/channel. They both look visually about the same from the outside and are both 2 channel stereo amps with terminals for 2 rear and 2 front speakers. Built during the late 70s.

SPEC-1 Pre Amp, $650 list

SPEC-2 Power Amp, $995 list

SPEC-4 Power Amp, $795 list

Here is a pic of both the Spec 1 and 2 togather I found on the web:

pion1.jpg
    2-Channel Audio