Retailers have no consistency! AND Biamp Requirement?

Options
salty-skin
salty-skin Posts: 7
edited September 2003 in Speakers
I'm usually on a budget, so my purchases of home theater/ audio equipment are spaced out. WAAAY OUT....

My previous fronts and current surrounds (RT 5's) were purchased in 96. My fronts were inherited from my wife (old Kenwood 3 ways, 12" woofer). My center is a CS400 I purchased probably 4 years ago. Maybe only 3.

I've purchased two amps, both Yamaha. My current amp is a RXV-1200, it was pretty advanced for me a year or so ago.

Now I'm looking to replace the fronts. None of the retailers that I've purchased my current Polks carry them.

Yesterday I went to the latest store I purchased my amplifier at to discuss the options of biamping the rti150's. They don't carry Yamaha anymore. I end up leaving disappointed and feeling that there isn't much reason to purchase from brick and mortar stores. While I usually want additional information regarding product that isn't available at the online stores, my forays into the retail world rarely end with learning anything outside of the manufacturer's advertisement. Many times after asking an advanced question of these so called experts I've been unlucky enough to watch the salesman pick up the ad and read the print verbatim to me!!!

I will most likely purchase several different pairs from Frys, set them up properly at home to listen and compare them properly. They are set up there but you might as well leave them in the box. THey actually sound terrible! The rti150's have no lower end at all. The rti100's have no midrange and are SUPER BOOMY!!! The RTi70's have no bass. Not to mention the 5 or so other stereo sources blasting off to my right.
The store has a full refund policy for 30 days so at least I can test listen at home.

I've been to CC, but no one even bothered to show me the speakers, and I wasn't able to figure out how to run their listening room. I've been screwed by them for restocking fees in the past anyway and vowed never to use them again.

:confused:

Besides my complaining, I do have a question. Since the rti150's sounded like they have no bass, and other posts have made it clear you need a lot of power ro run them, I might try biamping them with my current two amps. How would sending the bass signal through my main amp (80W) and the highs through my old amp (55W).

Any problems with this arrangement? I did contemplate running both A and B channels to low and high inputs thinking that would double the power, but I haven't been able to confirm this and I'd be a bit worried about overstressing the amplifier.
Post edited by salty-skin on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Just a question....

Why would you want to replace the RT5's ??? I would argue that the original RT series RT3,5,7 are probably the best bookshelves that Polk made.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • salty-skin
    salty-skin Posts: 7
    edited September 2003
    Options
    SOrry I wasn't clear, the rt 5's have been relagated to surrounds. I'm trying to replace the front kenwoods. They have seen better days.

The tweeters are paper cones, one of the speakers mid driver is out, and I've replaced both woofers with radio shack drivers (blew both woofers at a new years eve party a few years back).

They sound ok for home theater, but really crappy for music in stereo mode