Worth doing anything with these?

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited October 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
It's been over 4 years since I've had any subs in a vehicle. My old subs were db104's, and I forget what amp I had with them. I still have this stuff laying around gathering dust-

1005730-M.jpg

Think those little 8" subs are worth messing around with? I never liked big, boomy bass... I used the 10's dialed back pretty far just to add some reinforcement to the low end.

I have a Pioneer headunit, and for the most part am happy with the sound, but I'd like to get a little more low end and cross the factory speakers over a bit higher to improve the sound. Obviously, some Polk speakers in the door are the ultimate goal; but until the factory speakers blow, I'm going to keep running them.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• nadams
    edited October 2011
    Options
    BTW- These would be going in my 2001 Ranger xcab, so there's not a lot of space there. That's why I got rid of the 10's and their massive box in the first place.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Wouldn't hurt. Those things do well in a small sealed enclosure.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The model is RFZ2408... Here's the specs-

•Frequency response 30-400 Hz
    •Power range 50-100 watts RMS
    •Peak power handling 200 watts
    • Sensitivity 85.2 dB SPL
    •4 Ohm Impedance
    •Top mount depth 3-1/2"
    •Sealed box volume 0.3-0.5 cubic feet
    •Ported box volume 0.5-0.625 cubic feet

The amp is a Jensen XA275-

POWER OUTPUT
    Number of Channels 2
    RMS Power Per Channel @ 4ohm 75 x 2
    RMS Power Per Channel @ 2ohm 100 x 2
    RMS Power Bridged @ 4 ohm 200 x 1

I'm wondering if I can make a 2 boxes that will fit under the seats, or if I should make two downfiring boxes to go on either side of the trans tunnel in the extended cab area. I've never had anyone sit in the jumpseats, so that's not a worry.

If I really wanted to get into it, I could build them into the rear door pockets... but I have nowhere near enough skill to make that happen.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No..
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    No..

Well, fine then.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You asked man...just 1 of many. However, I digress...if it's gathering dust, there's no reason to not use it in some manner. What about a small push-pull array?

You could also experiment with them in other things ala LSi15, just a thought.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    edited October 2011
    Options
    They were originally used in an old pair of marantz speakers that had the woofers blown. I picked them up cheap and used them out in my dad's garage for a few years. The Marantz cabs are long gone, so whatever I do, I'm pretty much stuck building.

Maybe I'll just put a big hole in the back of the SDA's and give them some active subs :D

(Yes, that's a joke)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The subs should be fine, I'm not so sure about the Jensen amp though. The amp is not 2 ohms stable in bridged mode. So you'd get like 100 watts per sub for the 4 ohm subs. Small sealed box like Cody said. If you can spend a bit for a better amp that would be great.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2011
    Options
    IF theyre 4 ohm subs. A lot of those were 8 ohms.
    -Cody
  • nadams
    edited October 2011
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    IF theyre 4 ohm subs. A lot of those were 8 ohms.
    -Cody

Specs claim 4 ohm. I didn't measure them, though.

As for the amp... yeah, it's cheap, and it's bottom of the line as far as what you guys run here. BUT, I did have it running a set of 10's at one point (actually, the DB104's right after I got them), and it did okay. I figure with the 8's it should be good enough. Plus, the damn thing just won't die...

I don't want to invest too much into the project. I just figured it might be something fun to work on when I have some time (which means, it'll never get done :))
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ahh....somehow missed that entire post. Nevermind.

Still. amp says 75x2 stereo. RMS of the subs is 100w. Well within the range...even for an overrated Jensen amp, you'll be fine.
    -Cody
  • the88thpianoman
    the88thpianoman Posts: 36
    edited October 2011
    Options
    nadams wrote: »
    Think those little 8" subs are worth messing around with? I never liked big, boomy bass... I used the 10's dialed back pretty far just to add some reinforcement to the low end.

I have a Pioneer headunit, and for the most part am happy with the sound, but I'd like to get a little more low end and cross the factory speakers over a bit higher to improve the sound. Obviously, some Polk speakers in the door are the ultimate goal; but until the factory speakers blow, I'm going to keep running them.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have much need for using both of those subs. Especially since space is an issue, you'd likely be much better off getting a truck enclosure that you can fit under or behind a seat, and just tune one of them to your liking. Maybe dial the level down, turn on bass boost (just a little if it's an adjustable boost). I would guess that the sub and a small enclosure are really going to emphasize mid bass, so a lower gain/level combined with a boost of the low end ought to give you fairly even sound across the spectrum.

And Jensen or not, that amp ought to be just fine for what you want it to do.