4ohm and 8ohm?

Options
paymontana
paymontana Posts: 234
I have just purchased an onkyo tx-sr800. I have a set of 4ohm front speakers and a set of 8ohm's for the rear. There is no text book answer on how to. Does any one know? I also want to know how to biwire can any one help?

Thank you,
CJ
"It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
Post edited by paymontana on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2003
    Options
    How to what? As for how to Bi-Wire .......
    Life without music would
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited September 2003
    Options
    CJ, I assume that your question is how to set the speaker impedance menu on the 800. If you want to consider the owners manual as the "text book" , it clearly says to set it to the lower impedance if even one speaker is less than 6 ohms. However, since using the lower impedance setting limits the voltage and therefore the maximum power which the amplifier can produce, don't do so; use the higher impedance setting despite the 4 ohm speakers, except as a last resort if the receiver protective circuitry shuts it off.

As to bi-wiring(aka buy-wiring), don't waste your time and money. It's electrically identical to a single wire 3 gauges heavier(e.g. 2x16 ga= 1x13ga)and has no special advantages.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Everyone has there own taste. i know when i bi-wired my Rti70's even with nanner's and Monster XP i got a more clear sound and there was just more "umpf" to them. If you have some extra wire around the house give it a try. If you dont get anything out of it then your not out and $$. Then you can start saving for some "Real" Bi-Wire like me.
    Life without music would
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    JK/ spb
    Some do hear a difference, some don't. Biggest debate there is here along with wire "quality" in general.
    One interim measure that should be considered is replacing the stock jumpers.

JK, agree that from a circuits standpoint, bi-wiring makes no sense.

spb, agree that paymontana should start playing on the cheap and move on, if he hears value...

pm,
    In case I've not already done so, let me say welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD