Polk sound quality

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,
Looking into the 6.5 components or even coaxial between the Polk, JLAudio and Boston. I know sound is very subjective to individual's tastes. I cannot find a retailer who carries these three brands under the same roof. So, how is the MMC650 or DB6500 (those fits on my car) sounds to other brands. Boston Pro 6.5 are a bit higher priced than Polk, so maybe the comparison is not fair.
Any suggestions on the Polk sound quality ? Good for the price or Polk can do a bit better.

Plus, I'm not very impressed by the setup nor the salesforces carrying the Polk audio product line. First, the salesforce is not experienced enough; second, the higher end product line Momo is not nowhere to be heard. Although Frys Electronics carries the Momo series, two stores tht I visited don't even demo the Momo speakers (the MMC650 or MMC6). What is up with that !!!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited September 2003
    Well, Polk is not THAT big of a company, and the speakers you referred to have only been out for a couple of months
    Polk is much better than JL, JL is overpriced crap
    But between the Boston and Polk, I can't really tell you. Polk is a great brand. They're moderately priced and sound very good.
    -Cody
  • Emerald
    Emerald Posts: 42
    edited September 2003
    I just had a chance to listen to the new Polks in my car the other day.

I knew they would sound nice, but I had no idea they would sound 'this nice' to start.

Ive previously used Diamond Audio & JL Audio in my car but can honestly say that I like the POLKS better.... I have yet to tune the car and even in its current 'raw state' I've fallen for Polk all tha way!
    [Lexus SC400T][Lexus SC300][850BMW][S13 Silvia][S13 180sx]
    [ DriftGirl.org ]B][COLOR=Red]POLK[/COLOR] AUDIO[/B[MsEmerald.com]
  • Emerald
    Emerald Posts: 42
    edited September 2003
    They wont demo the speakers or they dont have them? :confused:
    [Lexus SC400T][Lexus SC300][850BMW][S13 Silvia][S13 180sx]
    [ DriftGirl.org ]B][COLOR=Red]POLK[/COLOR] AUDIO[/B[MsEmerald.com]
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    polk -- polk -- and polk.

that's my opinion.

:)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2003
    When I was refering to the salesforce, I was implying the dealer.

Frys Electronics has them in stock in the box and not in the sound room. I'm not trying to knock down Frys Electronics or the other dealer, Circuit City by any means ; I just wish Polk as the company had a better dealer network to represent/showcase their products.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    well -- i think the polk momo coax are something you'll love -- but, if u're worried about it - buy them from circuit city -- and if you hate them, you've got 30 days to get your money back on them .... from what i understand circuit city still does their "30 day money back" **** on everything in the store except computers.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited September 2003
    yep still 30 days, i'd get the service plan on the speaks too i think it'll probably be $16/pair (maybe 30ish but i doubt it) and it gurantees if your speakers blow anytime during the 2 years the plan covers that you'll get them replaced... it's a good deal on speakers ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • tortie
    tortie Posts: 5
    edited October 2003
    I had the old JL's before I installed the MM6 on my car. If you want good tight bass, go with the Polk. But IMO the JL's had better highs and clearer midrange compared to the MM6
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited October 2003
    how do you have them amped??? cause that can make all the difference in the world.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2003
    I do believe that the Polk crossovers are adjustable too. I don't know if the JL crossovers are but changes in the crossover curve can make a very big difference in the brightness of the mid-range and highs.

Personally, I have yet to hear a JL Audio speaker out-perform any Polk Audio speaker. Hell, I have yet to hear anything in the Polk Audio price ranges out-perform a Polk Audio speaker.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • tortie
    tortie Posts: 5
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    how do you have them amped??? cause that can make all the difference in the world.

Yep, Im using a Rockford Fosgate 450s for my front speakers. It gives out 110w per channel.
    I do believe that the Polk crossovers are adjustable too. I don't know if the JL crossovers are but changes in the crossover curve can make a very big difference in the brightness of the mid-range and highs.

Yep, Polks crossovers are ajudtable and the JLs I had are not. We tried to listen to it in different settings on the polk and also tried to adjust it thru my equalizer. (Audio Control's EQT)
    Personally, I have yet to hear a JL Audio speaker out-perform any Polk Audio speaker. Hell, I have yet to hear anything in the Polk Audio price ranges out-perform a Polk Audio speaker.

Yup, I was quite surprized too. But it may be due to my speaker placement (we placed it in the stock location) or to the accoustics of my car. Anyway, the difference in the highs was not that great, and the polks bass was that good that I installed the Polks instead of the JL's. So overall Polk maybe better, but in the mids and highs JL's are a little bit better. Again this is just my opinion based on my car and my ears and it may be different for everybody. ;)