considering a change in plans...

Options
MTXMAN
MTXMAN Posts: 682
edited September 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey PBD i'm thinking about downsizing my system plans a smidge so i can get something good sooner (i'm impatient). I'm considering taking 2 Diamond Audio 10" dual 4ohm subs (800wrms) putting them in a sealed box (gonna need to go with a rectangle cause of the LONG magnet on them) bridged to 4ohm load and powered by a US 2000x. i'll also get my alt rewound for about 250 at a local shop that does it which can bump be up to 150 amps. realistically i can do the whole setup for around 2000 including wiring and shipping... then save a little more and bump my hu up to the eclipse 8053 drydeck and up my amp for my MM6 to a US TU-600 tube amp and use the little orion i have now to power my pioneer fill (or pull them out and leave the holes in my rear deck open) I mainly like this idea cause i get to say "yeah i have them running off my tube amp" that upgrade will run me about 1000 with the tube amp, and the 8v outputs on the deck will eventually fry the orion but who cares it's just some little thing i picked up at a pawn shop for 70bucks and if it goes i just take out my rear speakers and let the air move more freely... next would come the upgrade of my mm6's to Hex component sets front and rear with the addition of a second TU-600. at this point i'll get a hold of ohio generator and get a 200a alt and upgrade my bat and wiring. this upgrade should go for about another 2grand (the alt's gonna be at least 500). it's saving a little money, a little space, and a little drain on my powersystem cause i'll be going with one 2000x instead of 2...

let me know whatcha think.. hopefully the first upgrade will come around early spring... need to save...
Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
Post edited by MTXMAN on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2003
    Options
    honestly i think you came to your senses...

2000x is more than enough sub power for any human being who's daily driving (ithen again i used to say 600 watts was more than enough --- but realistically i think 2kw is plenty)...

two 800w subs is far from "low end".

i say go for it.

just keep the wiring straight -- any wiring you do should be aimed at the final system setup -- so dont run like 4 gauge or whatever gauge, only to find out that when you do the final product you've gotta run more wire... and i'd run all the lines for speakers and everything while you have the car apart instead of fking around with it later.

if the inputs on the orion cannot handle an 8v in - dont run it - i'm not certain on this, but if you short the amp's input circuit then you would be shorting out the line level inputs from your head unit, which could actually damage the headunit (assuming that such a short could occur). like i said i'm not certain, but i wouldn't bother jerking around with thousands of dollars worth of equipment for rear fill.

just buy the midbass drivers when you buy the component set and save the money (no crossover, no tweet so less cash but u may have to buy direct from mfg)... and just get the tiniest usamp you can find to power them -- 30 - 40 watts would be PLENTY. hell 20 would prolly do it.

if you're not that strapped for current, you can prolly swing the entire system off of the 150A alt if its done properly and still puts out jucie at idle... just stock up on batteries (preferably a big one to replace hte stock one - and a 2nd big one)... that's prolly enough to get you buy - and thus not need the 200A alt.

the worst thing you'll do is see the V gauge drop at which time u say "ok time to lower the volume till i get a bigger alt". -- worth a try at least.

electrical upgrade / wiring / subs / amps --- then fronts / head unit / rear -- sounds like a plan.

and now at least u wont blow the saturn to pieces :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    lol, i was already planning on wiring the whole thing when i did the subs just didn't mention it, at that time i'll also dynamat the vast majority of my floor to keep out roadnoise. i'd probably be best off running a single 1/0 wire to a second batt for the whole system right??
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    Options
    0 is the way to go - no thinner for you.

prolly get a 3 way distro for off the battery in the trunk with two 0 holes and one 4 hole or some ****.
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    wouldn't i probably want one 0 hole and two 4 ?? the 0 for the 2000x and the 4's for the two 2ch's ???
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2003
    Options
    stupid me -- sorry -- u're right... actually u can prolly use 8 gauge lines -- ya -- u can -- 300 watts per amp -- 8 gauge is plenty fine.

u can run two 8's outa one 4 hole.
  • MTXMAN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i think i'd prefer to go with 4 for the look of the install actually... i know that 8 will be good with the short distance but seeing the 4 and 0 wires gives those i show the car to a better idea of the power of the system ;D that and it's no biggie to buy several feet of wire (I already have enough 4 left over from other work to run it just fine)